PDA

View Full Version : Royal Wedding

The Pepsi Challenge
18-May-08, 09:09
Another Royal marriage, another embarrassment, this time Miss Kelly's.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7406008.stm

This particualr quote caught my eye:

"Miss Kelly has given up her Catholic faith to allow her fiance to retain his place as 11th in line to the throne."

How do Catholics on here feel about one of their own selling their faith down the river? I think it's disgusting. I mean, how do you give up your Catholic faith exactly? Do you just stop practising? Or do you need an exit interview and get a wee certificate to say it's official?

Venture
18-May-08, 11:46

"Miss Kelly has given up her Catholic faith to allow her fiance to retain his place as 11th in line to the throne."

How do Catholics on here feel about one of their own selling their faith down the river? I think it's disgusting. I mean, how do you give up your Catholic faith exactly? Do you just stop practising? Or do you need an exit interview and get a wee certificate to say it's official?

Saw the title Royal Wedding and thought must have a look at the bride etc. only to find its another thread to do with religion. I should have known better than think that you would be interested in this Royal wedding occasion for what it was and would not doubt have some ulterior motive in bringing it up at all

Why is she an embarrassment? If she chose to change her religion for the sake of her husband then that's her business. At the end of the day does it matter what religion she practices as long as they are happy. She may no longer be a practicing Catholic but that dosen't me she's given up religion altogether. Anyway just think on a Sunday they'll save on petrol not having to attend two different churches.

Threads slagging people off because of their choice of religion, regardless of who they are or the circumstances behind them doing so, have no place on this forum.

balto
18-May-08, 11:48
Saw the title Royal Wedding and thought must have a look at the bride etc. only to find its another thread to do with religion. I should have known better than think that you would be interested in this Royal wedding occasion for what it was and would not doubt have some ulterior motive in bringing it up at all

Why is she an embarrassment? If she chose to change her religion for the sake of her husband then that's her business. At the end of the day does it matter what religion she practices as long as they are happy. She may no longer be a practicing Catholic but that dosen't me she's given up religion altogether. Anyway just think on a Sunday they'll save on petrol not having to attend two different churches.

Threads slagging people off because of their choice of religion, regardless of who they are or the circumstances behind them doing so, have no place on this forum.
well said, so many people do change religion to be the same as their partner, so is it because they are a royal couple that people think this is wrong, why cant these people just get to life their lives the same as the rest of us.

Boozeburglar
18-May-08, 12:06
I think there is something very wrong with it being mandatory for someone to change their faith to marry a Royal.

This is 2008. Such conventions are anachronistic and divisive.

Nothing to do with whether or not they would have chosen to anyway, as of course many would when marrying. It should have been purely a matter of personal choice.

So whilst the opening post of this thread may be a bit queer; there is a valid point to be made.

mccaugm
18-May-08, 12:06
well said, so many people do change religion to be the same as their partner, so is it because they are a royal couple that people think this is wrong, why cant these people just get to life their lives the same as the rest of us.

My mum changed from Catholic to Episcopalian to be with my father. They married in a register office. I was never even aware for most of my life that this had occured because it was simply not important. What was --is the fact that my parents were in love and celebrate 40 years of marriage in January, 2 children, 3 grand children and 2 step-grandchildren.

Angela
18-May-08, 12:11
I think it's ridiculous and wrong that she should have had to renounce her faith because of a three hundred year old law. The Act of Settlement which restricts the monarch to marriage with a Protestant was passed in 1701.

It's unlikely to be relevant in this case anyway, with Peter Phillips being 11th in line to the throne.

I do wonder how much pressure was put on this woman -and not necessarily by her fiance -to change her faith to avoid bringing the issue more into the public eye.

Religion -and whether couples share the same religious faith or none at all -is of course a very personal thing. Or it should be! We can't know what their decision would have been if Peter Phillips hadn't been a member of the Royal family. Plainly they are not the same as any other couple.

binbob
18-May-08, 12:55
I think it's ridiculous and wrong that she should have had to renounce her faith because of a three hundred year old law. The Act of Settlement which restricts the monarch to marriage with a Protestant was passed in 1701.

It's unlikely to be relevant in this case anyway, with Peter Phillips being 11th in line to the throne.

I do wonder how much pressure was put on this woman -and not necessarily by her fiance -to change her faith to avoid bringing the issue more into the public eye.

Religion -and whether couples share the same religious faith or none at all -is of course a very personal thing. Or it should be! We can't know what their decision would have been if Peter Phillips hadn't been a member of the Royal family. Plainly they are not the same as any other couple.
i totally agree with u....and remermber tony blair had to be out of post before he could become a fully fledged roman catholic...bigotry is alive and well in this country.yes i am a roman catholic and proud of it.
the laws need major up dating...

Venture
18-May-08, 13:06

I agree that these ancient laws belong in the past and that she should not have had to change her religion because she was marrying a member of the Royal family. Pepsi Challenge's particular attack on the bride with the use of the words embarrassment, disgusting and selling her faith down the river is totally uncalled for. The fact that she chose to comply with the law, whether or not she agreed with it, dosent mean she should be slated for it. Im quite sure if she had any objections at all we would have heard all about it before the big day. The couple dont seem to be making a big thing out of it so why should anyone else.

IMHO this thread with the title Royal Wedding has nothing to do with yesterday's wedding or ancient laws and has only been raised with the sole intention of starting up another "religious" debate.

Pepsi Challenge's invitation : How do Catholics on here feel about one of their own selling their faith down the river? is ample proof of this.

Boozeburglar
18-May-08, 13:29
IMHO this thread with the title Royal Wedding has nothing to do with yesterday's wedding or ancient laws

Well it does now, as that is what we have chosen to discuss!

:)

Venture
18-May-08, 13:45
Well it does now, as that is what we have chosen to discuss!

:)

If you are going to take quotes from my post I would suggest you use the full sentence rather than half of it.

The original sentence refers to the choice of "title" of the thread used by the original poster not the content of other posts.

dogman
18-May-08, 13:46
i totally agree with u....and remember tony blair had to be out of post before he could become a fully fledged roman catholic...bigotry is alive and well in this country.yes i am a roman catholic and proud of it.
the laws need major up dating...

i agree that bigotry is alive in this country.
has the roman catholic church changed its views on homosexuality yet?
can homosexual couples adopt from catholic orphanages?

surely these points would need to be addressed and bring the faith from the dark ages.

Boozeburglar
18-May-08, 14:37
If you are going to take quotes from my post I would suggest you use the full sentence rather than half of it.

The original sentence refers to the choice of "title" of the thread used by the original poster not the content of other posts.

It is not really clear from your sentence that you intend to comment merely on the title of the thread. Perhaps you would like to edit your sentence for clarity so I could then quote the entire sentence rather than the part relevant to my response?

;)

Sapphire2803
18-May-08, 15:04
I'd say that there's a very good chance that the poor girl was baptised long before she was old enough to voice an opinion, there's also a fair chance that said baptism was the last time she entered a church (apart from weddings, funerals etc)
If she was devout, I could understand the fuss.
Yes, the law should probably be changed, but then isn't the queen the head of the church of England? You wouldn't expect to marry a vicar without being the same religion as him/her would you?

binbob
18-May-08, 15:37
i agree that bigotry is alive in this country.
has the roman catholic church changed its views on homosexuality yet?
can homosexual couples adopt from catholic orphanages?

surely these points would need to be addressed and bring the faith from the dark ages.
u are correct and i absolutely agree that the roman catholic church is also living in the past and should be looking to change a great deal.
we all need to change....no doubts about that.
i also am from a mixed family..not completely catholic.so i do know about both sides attitudes.

helenwyler
18-May-08, 15:51
You wouldn't expect to marry a vicar without being the same religion as him/her would you?

Only in 'The Archers', Sapphire, and that hotbed of liberal dysfunction and moral turpitude, Ambridge ;).

The vicar Alan is engaged to Hindu solicitor Usha Gupta :eek:...

Sapphire2803
18-May-08, 16:05
Only in 'The Archers', Sapphire, and that hotbed of liberal dysfunction and moral turpitude, Ambridge ;).

The vicar Alan is engaged to Hindu solicitor Usha Gupta :eek:...

:eek: Right, who do I write to? I need to express my moral outrage!!

MadPict
18-May-08, 16:09
More to the point, what the hell was Beatrice wearing on her head?...

Link (http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44666000/jpg/_44666287_beatrice220b.jpg)

Venture
18-May-08, 16:16
[quote=Boozeburglar;385459]It is not really clear from your sentence that you intend to comment merely on the title of the thread. Perhaps you would like to edit your sentence for clarity so I could then quote the entire sentence rather than the part relevant to my response?

;)[/quote

I dont feel I have to change anything I have written as I think you fully understand where Im coming from. On the other hand if I have confused you then I apologise.;)

As to the choice of thread title by Pepsi Challenge - think R.E.M. could have helped him out there.

Venture
18-May-08, 16:21

Link (http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44666000/jpg/_44666287_beatrice220b.jpg)

Thankyou Madpict. This is what weddings are all about. As to that hat - I think its called a Flight of Butterflies.[lol]

canuck
18-May-08, 17:00
Another Royal marriage, ...

Thanks TPC for the platform to speak about an irony in my own life. I was born 7 days after Princess Anne and now my son is being married 7 days following hers. Most wonderful of all, these men have had the great good sense to marry Canadian women.

Scottish tradition dictates that I wear a hat, but it isn't nearly as spectacular as B's butterflies.

MadPict
18-May-08, 17:10
Canuck,
I am sure that something suitable could be created using the symbol of your other home, the maple leaf - especially if you used all the autumn colours!

Now that would be a bonnie bonnet!!!

Angela
18-May-08, 17:14
Scottish tradition dictates that I wear a hat, but it isn't nearly as spectacular as B's butterflies.

But that doesn't mean we won't expect to see a picture of your hat, canuck! ;)

Hope your son's wedding is a lovely and memorable occasion for you all. :)

percy toboggan
18-May-08, 17:34
how do you give up your Catholic faith exactly? Do you just stop practising?

Didn't Henry VIII manage it by lopping the heads of a couple of wives and waving two fingers in the direction of Rome?

Bad form...but effective. Apparently.

scorrie
18-May-08, 21:50

It was the woman's choice to give up her Religion and adopt another. Having said that, it couldn't have meant much to her in the first place. If you have true faith in something, you don't abandon it.

Imagine if she had given up belief in God to become an atheist? What would the last words to that God have been?

"I love you God but I've met this other guy, he's really high up in this powerful family of heathens and they just won't have it for him to marry me, with, well, you know, this talking to invisible people carry on, and that, it freaks them out. So, I'll have to say goodbye for now and get on with marrying this man and letting him keep his high position in the pecking order. Please don't take it personally, it could have happened to any God, they won't stand for any of them, it just happened to be that I was following you before this other guy showed up. Rest assured, if this does not work out, I've kept your number on speed dial and I'll give you a shout or text on my moby. CUL8R Autumn"

Disclaimer:-

No particular God is represented in this post. Scenario is for satirical purpose only.

rockchick
18-May-08, 22:06
Two things strike me...

1) Anyone who can honestly give up their faith for the sake of marriage/love for another person didn't have much faith to begin with

2) Any body can give up the appearance of a faith without giving up the faith itself...should that faith be important enough to them, as well as the appearance. It hurts no one else, other than the person(s) involved.

Which raises the following question(s):

Why the heck should someone's faith, or one's spouse's faith, be a requisite to the throne? Isn't this rather archaic?

I suppose that if Camilla had been a practising Catholic (instead of just married to one) Charles would have been barred from marrying her? How daft is that? What possible difference could it have made?

I'm so glad I'm Buddhist...

joxville
18-May-08, 22:55
As Rhett Butler said in Gone With The Wind, "Frankly my dear,I don't give a damn".

Venture
18-May-08, 23:09
As Rhett Butler said in Gone With The Wind, "Frankly my dear,I don't give a damn".

Ah Jox only reason you're posting on here is to out do Princess Bea's hat with that flashy jacket. [lol]

Oddquine
19-May-08, 02:24
Let's be honest here.........she gave up her catholicism because if she didn't Peter Phillips would have lost his position re the succession.

Nothing to do with religion.....more to do with status.

Until the UK constitution is changed.........which it should be..................that is a consequence which is discriminatory.

Murdina Bug
19-May-08, 10:25
I'm sure that there is actually a motion tabled in Parliament (or whatever term they use) to have the 'anti-Catholic' bias removed as a prevention to succession to the throne.

Plus - I don't think it was the case that Tony Blair was 'not allowed' to be Catholic when PM -but he said that showing any religious lean at all opened politicians up to all sorts of ridicule about their personal lives and it was easier to remain sort of neutral on the issue.

By the way, as this is/was a wedding thread - lovely dresses i thought! Classy shade of green for the bridesmaids.

Margaret M.
19-May-08, 14:56

LOL, really. It looked like she piled some butteflies on top of the contraption that Sarah Jessica Parker wore to her movie opening.

TBH
19-May-08, 15:02
Religion is a disease that needs to be eradicated, the sooner the better.

Anyway just think on a Sunday they'll save on petrol not having to attend two different churches.
She will she miss her fish supper on the Friday.:eek:

Link (http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44666000/jpg/_44666287_beatrice220b.jpg)She looks like her father in drag.

Valerie Campbell
19-May-08, 19:34
My Granny had to give up her Catholic faith to marry my Protestant Grandpa and I never figured out why. I think it shouldn't matter two hoots what your religion is. As for the Royals, I guess the 16/17th century's to blame and that particular law should be scrapped. That's my tuppence worth anyway. Isn't it that if Charles becomes king he'll be defender of faiths, and that would encompass Catholicism, Protestantism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism etc?

MadPict
19-May-08, 21:36
Atheism is the answer...

northener
20-May-08, 08:42
Yup, the law is somewhat outdated.

I think that the opinion of the State is that they'd prefer not to go there as it will open up a huge debate on the whole role of the Monarchy.

Boozeburglar
20-May-08, 09:18
Let's be honest here.........she gave up her catholicism because if she didn't Peter Phillips would have lost his position re the succession.

Nothing to do with religion.....more to do with status.

Until the UK constitution is changed.........which it should be..................that is a consequence which is discriminatory.

100% agreed.