PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in the Wick side

willowbankbear
23-Nov-05, 20:54
Is there anyone on here tonight got a coalfire that wants wood to burn? cos ive been renovating my hoose this week & i dont ken how to get rid of all the wood & rubbish.
Im not hiring a skip coz they charge too much . Council r funny about rubbish nowadays , I asked them what is wood an what is builders "rubbish" ?they r a bit picky , so if theres anyone wanting it , get yersel a trailer,give me an email & come and get it yer welcome to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- w.a.t.p

George Brims
23-Nov-05, 21:10
I assume this is old wood? If it's newer stuff (last 20 or 30 years) it's possible it's been pressure-treated with a preservative or insecticide. If so, DON'T burn it. The smoke will contain all kinds of extra nasties. Usually there's a green look to the wood if it has been pressure treated. This is probably not a problem (since termites aren't a problem in Caithness!) but I thought I would mention it. Beware also of stuff that's got layers of old paint on it - might burn a bit too well and set fire to your lum!

Tugmistress
23-Nov-05, 21:34
I assume this is old wood? If it's newer stuff (last 20 or 30 years) it's possible it's been pressure-treated with a preservative or insecticide. If so, DON'T burn it. The smoke will contain all kinds of extra nasties. Usually there's a green look to the wood if it has been pressure treated. This is probably not a problem (since termites aren't a problem in Caithness!) but I thought I would mention it. Beware also of stuff that's got layers of old paint on it - might burn a bit too well and set fire to your lum!

Hi George,
i used to purposefully 'set fire' to the lum when i had one by putting very flammable stuff on the hot coals, it keeps the soot down and helps draw the smoke.... though i am sure some would call me nutz, but it never did ours any harm :)