PDA

View Full Version : Learning to play an instrument

Fluff
17-May-08, 21:46
I have always wanted to play an instrument but I have never had an opportunity to. I have always had a fascination with the piano.

I have decided I need a hobby so I might try taking playing up, but I don't earn a great deal of money so I can't afford anything too pricey.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

ciderally
17-May-08, 22:34
dosent addie harper give lessons at reasonable price....good luck anyway..anouther thought why dont you take an adult learning course at thurso tec....opps sorry your not in caithness...just noticed....well there must be a college around your way....might get help with the costs as well...

footie chick
17-May-08, 22:35
dosent addie harper give lessons at reasonable price....good luck anyway..anouther thought why dont you take an adult learning course at thurso tec....

Might be a long distance learning :lol:

Good luck.

Fluff
17-May-08, 22:38
lol learning by webcam?

footie chick
17-May-08, 22:40
Hope you'll put up a link so we can all watch :lol:

ciderally
17-May-08, 23:24
alright alright ....said sorry...but maybe its worth a go..tee hee

footie chick
17-May-08, 23:28
alright alright ....said sorry...but maybe its worth a go..tee hee

Would be better than paying £100+ for TV licence fee [lol] orgers get a discount [lol]

ciderally
17-May-08, 23:35
cant be any worse than that maurine learning to drive ...that was on a few years back....so come on now fluff...think we have it sorted...get the joanna and webcam sorted...who knows maybe addie can help...ha ha

Fluff
17-May-08, 23:46
Lol, well better that than a webcam during my driving lessons (i'm not that bad, just swear alot....)

cazmanian_minx
18-May-08, 09:17
I see you're in Reading - go and talk to Hickies on Friar Street. They do private keyboard and piano lessons:

http://www.hickies.co.uk/keyboard_lessons.htm

and they've got a rent to buy scheme, where you can rent a piano for 6 months and if you decide to buy, the amount you've paid in rental gets knocked off the purchase price.

I used to work there when I was at university in Reading; that was 10 years ago, so I doubt anyone I worked with is still there, but I think the same family still owns it.

rfr10
18-May-08, 11:22
I would recommend you begin by learning the keyboard with single fingered chords. It is an easy way for beginners to open themselves up to a wider variety of keyboard instruments.

I started years ago by teaching myself the keyboard but could only play the right hand so I went for keyboard lessons to learn single fingered chords aswell. As I was doing this, I managed to teach my self the basic fingered chords required for piano music. After a few years I got fed up with the keyboard and then went on to play the accordion (another keyboard style instrument which I was able to take skills from the keyboard to). It can sometimes take time to adjust to playing the accordion after the keyboard as an accordion is an up right instrument.

Also, in primary school, I played the recorder, which, in my opinion is a very basic instrument to learn and personally I can't stand the sound of them now. Later on, at the beginning of primary 7, I started learning the clarinet and have continued to do so until now, 5th year.

The instruments I play are only as a hobbie. I play the accordion at the Accordion & Fiddle club and the clarinet with the Highland Schools Wind Band.

So, both instruments I play now, started with more basic instruments. So in my opinion, if you want to learn the piano but don't have that much experience playing the piano, I recommend you begin by learning the keyboard and then opening yourself to a wider variety afterwards.