PDA

View Full Version : Captiv8 Here HE goes again

kac
17-May-08, 12:13
I hope this doesn't get removed this time as the person he is attacking on his web blog cant remove what he has to say, if he is not slagging off the person he talks about, why does he say she is lazy and lacks imagination, is she under priced or is he over priced, one of the main reasons i would not use him is his lack of professionalism over this whole matter, surly he would be better spending his time coming up with new ideas and putting a copyright on them if they are so precious to him, this is doing him no favors and its not just a few people that are talking about his professionalism, there are quite a few more not impressed with this, than the people he thinks are out to get him. Check out his blog if you want to know what im on about!!!!!.

buggyracer
17-May-08, 12:16
have you a link?

kac
17-May-08, 12:18
Just check out his web www.captiv8.uk.com (http://www.captiv8.uk.com) its on his blog at the bottom.

buggyracer
17-May-08, 12:25
after reading it, all i can say is welcome to the commercial world :lol:, what business has not had a similar gripe of a compettitor trying to move in on there market offering a similar product only cheaper? Can only be a good thing for the consumer?

padfoot
17-May-08, 12:42
i just read this blog bt didnt c anythin about him sayin sumone was lazy or unimaginative

ashaw1
17-May-08, 12:54
To be honest i don't see the problem with anything he's said. He is only voicing his point of view on his own website just like millions of other people are doing. I think he has explained himself very well. Sorry! And are you not doing something similar to what you are accusing him of doing? If you don't like what he's saying in his blog stop reading it! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion!

padfoot
17-May-08, 12:57
well said and she is pointing out who she is talkin about he in his case is not

MadPict
17-May-08, 13:07
What is the fascination with highlighting this persons personal blog?
If anyone wants to they can add comments to any of his entries. Whether the blog owner approves them that is another issue but if someone believes that he is damaging their reputation then they are free to address that via a solicitor.

Are you in some way connected to the individual he posts about? He doesn't name anyone as far as I can see?

I'd appreciate if anyone wants to comment this time, that they are good enough to leave contact details so I can answer their questions etc.

Why not do as he asks and leave a comment?

kac
17-May-08, 13:43
Not connected or related but was just interested as to why the previous post was stopped and he removed his previous blog about the same person, don't think i said anything about him, i only stated what was on his blog and as you say he is free to say what he wants, whether he should be saying what he did i don't know, maybe thats why it was removed previously, just think he would be better spending his time on something more productive before solicitors are involved. Did i read somewhere everyone is entitled an opinion.

Kismet
17-May-08, 13:46
yeah I agree he mentions no names and can't see where the lazy part is unless that is in another post on his blog or perhaps is just an interpretation of what he said worded to make him sound worse.

I disagree with this you are pointing out someone links to their site and making it obvious this is who in under criticism whilst he has not done this, he has not mentioned names.

And just because the person cannot remove stuff from that page is no excuse to get your own back on here especially if as I presume from your post you or someone has already tried and the post was removed as I presume it is similar in content to this and therefore look forward to seeing this one go too. Correct channels can be gone throug, solicitors, isp's abuse desk but as no names mentioned not sure there is a case to be answered to

And like another post I saw removed you have highlighted his business to people and maybe he will get more bookings when they see his beautiful pictures

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I don't think names should be mentioned or to be more precise links to the persons site so it is obvious who you are talking about ---- my opinion

Julia
17-May-08, 13:54
Had a look, some really nice pics. Lots of thigh and suspender shots ;)

Kismet
17-May-08, 13:59
Had a look, some really nice pics. Lots of thigh and suspender shots ;)

As I said good publicity for him [lol][lol]

kac
17-May-08, 14:04
No i did not post anything before and the thread was stopped not long after it started, not removed and you can still read it before it was locked if you so wish along with the previous blog that he has now removed from his own web site, was headed as Slagging off the competition, don't know why your jumping on my back was just interested as to why he cant let this drop, this is the third time and most people know who he is referring 2, just a bit more discreet this time. Seems i cant have an opinion or are you all connected to him?.

MadPict
17-May-08, 14:04
kac,
Who else should we blame? You posted this thread.
The owner of the blog was careful not to identify the person (not even the sex of the person).

You have revealed they are a female. Oh and I assume a photographer?

there are quite a few more than the people he thinks are out to get him
Before you post any further on the subject it might be an idea to check up on the laws of libel and posts which may have a negative effect on a person’s reputation...

Seems i cant have an opinion or are you all connected to him?

If you saw the previous thread had been closed why open a new one? And I wouldn't know "Captiv8" if he was stood next to me taking pictures....

Kismet
17-May-08, 14:11
No i did not post anything before and the thread was stopped not long after it started, not removed and you can still read it before it was locked if you so wish along with the previous blog that he has now removed from his own web site, was headed as Slagging off the competition, don't know why your jumping on my back was just interested as to why he cant let this drop, this is the third time and most people know who he is referring 2, just a bit more discreet this time. Seems i cant have an opinion or are you all connected to him?.

oh well if you are referring to what I said I went on information you gave you said the last post was removed and I don't see the problem if you do not like the opinion people have, the opinion that they are entitled to have, then you should perhaps take the advice someone gave you previously over the persons blog, stop reading it. Simple as that.

And yeah suggesting that people are out to get this person is a tad risky cos comes across as threatening

kac
17-May-08, 14:14
Why don't you check the previous post(which mentions her) and then slag me off, o i forgot you cant as he has removed it!!!, as i said have only highlighted his blog and as others have said i have probably sent more business his way so he will be thanking me as he has nothing to hide. Good guess that they are a photographer as thats what his business is.

kac
17-May-08, 14:29
Hello MadPict, was badly worded, have changed what i said, (there are quite a few more not impressed with this, than the people he thinks is out to get him), badly worded sorry.

ciderally
17-May-08, 14:53
dont know what this is all about or who it was all about...but the photos were stunning...

Riffman
17-May-08, 17:04
Kac - good name, sums up the crap you post quite well....

padfoot
17-May-08, 17:09
Kac - good name, sums up the crap you post quite well....

hahahaha got a good laugh out of that one lol

wonder why the sudden groveling to madpict???

i have looked at the guys pics and they are amazing i know where i will be going if i ever need those services

porshiepoo
17-May-08, 17:53
I really don't see a problem with anything he's put in that blog and to be honest I think I'd be a bit peeved if someone was copying my style and selling it cheaper. Why not be a tad more original and come up with their own?
This guys photography is seriously good and quite unique, I think he deserves to be a bit protective of it.

Just so you know, I have no idea whatsoever who he's talking about and what he's put in his blog has given me no indication either.

Geo
17-May-08, 18:08
Is the song choice on the site intentional? The chorus says "Take what you want...take what you need." :)

Anyone know who the artist is as I like the song?

Margaret M.
17-May-08, 18:58
His work is stunning and like Porshiepoo said, I would not be a happy photographer if my unique style was copied and used to undersell my business. I think he is within his rights to criticize whomever it is, on his own blog.

telfordstar
17-May-08, 19:00
well kac whoever you are well done for expressing your opinion and its a shame to see that you got shot down in flames like i did about the person named as i had previously started a post on this to.

Just for the record I know theperson he is always slagging of there seems to be alot of her work in the papers just now..........

balto
17-May-08, 19:31
seems to me this person is just stating his opinion adn rightfully so, if someone is copying his still of work he has the right to stick up for himself..

The Angel Of Death
17-May-08, 21:55
question i have got to ask how can you claim a style as your own if thats the case then no one in the whole wide world would be able to take a photo like that ever again ?

Ohh and i have used the female in question and can rate her 100% she provided me with a fantastic service which i was very satisfied with and would recomend to anyone

WeeBurd
17-May-08, 22:16
I think the truth of the matter is, the style the blogger uses is perhaps unique for this area, but a wee peak in any national wedding magazine, will show you it's a very popular choice for wedding photographers across the country, and is becoming very popular with consumers too. He may claim to have been the first photographer in the area to include this style in his portfolio, but that does not mean that no-one else may compete.

It's kinda like saying "McBeath's was the first jeweller in town, so how dare Regency's open a shop"?!"[lol]. Not really appropriate is it?

As for the nature of the rant, I think if anything, it only serves to make the blogger look a tad unprofessional, however freedom of speech and all that - he's perfectly entitled to vent if he so wishes. But, whilst it draws us all into reviewing his website, it's also got us googling the "unmentionable one" too, and seeing the quality of the pics on there. Consumers, I'm sure, will make up their own minds...

I'm only regretful that I got married before the blogger began to focus on Wedding photography - a quick shifty through my pics compared to his new stuff, leaves me with a one or two sour grapes too. Unfortunately, I had no proverbials to stand up and say I was unhappy with certain things so I duly paid my dosh (and I suppose there were a fair few shots which were fine enough, credit where it's due), so that is my own problem... :roll:

henry20
17-May-08, 22:55
I can't see how this kind of publicity can be good publicity for him!! He really should think before he posts blogs!

I know someone that got married a couple of weeks before me and were disappointed with the photos he did compared with mine, so the proof really is within the pudding!!!

Anyone that is good in what they can do, can do well without criticising the opposition.,. :roll:

John Baikie
17-May-08, 23:04
I've been reading this with interest. Firstly thanks to the people who have read this as neutrals and taken it for what it was - a personal account on a personal blog, and not as some seem to think, an attack on anyone.

I think one or two people have missed the point and maybe need to read it again in full. I have no problem with other people setting up business in the same field, not one bit. I have helped local photographers in many ways as I am sure they will testify. Read the blog again if you wish and realise that this is not in any way a complaint against other businesses competing against me. If anyone read the piece in the local paper the other day, I am lecturing to an international audience in London next year. The fourth time have spoken at a national event. That is not the kind of thing I would do if I didn't want to share my knowledge and ideas. In London, a guy from the North Highlands came to see me, and I took time aside after the talk to discuss things in much greater detail. I know for a fact he went away inspired and aiming to put some of what I said into his own business. However I also know I can go on his website and not find one picture which I can honestly say is a copy of one of mine. This is the whole point. He has his own style, but wishes to develop it with the help and inspiration from others.

Photography is an art, and as such, relies on individuality and personal style. What I am saying is that people should strive to be themselves, not some clone of another. I don't see how anyone could argue with that. As for other people having similar styles, I'm not so sure I agree that there are people 'everywhere' using the same style. I am in a position now where photographers all over this country and overseas are keeping an eye on what I am doing, so I need to keep coming up with the goods.It means added pressure but I put a load of time into developing new ideas, more than most people will realise. I work very hard at it. I find it very disturbing then if that hard work is used by someone else to line their own pocket and try to fool people into thinking it's their ideas. I feel anyone in an art related industry would agree with this.

Finally, I would like to say that I find it quite odd that the negative replies on this thread have been from people who have made very strong assumptions as to who the blog was referring, despite absolutely no reference to anyone within it.

I do hope people can read the blog and try to see it for what it is, rather than trying to find something more sinister.

Thanks again for all the kind remarks about my work, and to the many people who have PMed or e-mailed me today. It's good to know that people appreciate what I do.

JB

padfoot
17-May-08, 23:13
Is the song choice on the site intentional? The chorus says "Take what you want...take what you need." :)

Anyone know who the artist is as I like the song?

the song is by stephanie c and its called take what you want

henry20
17-May-08, 23:17

Padfoot, I love your signature!!! X

John Baikie
17-May-08, 23:20

That's Correct - how did you know that!? I had a job remembering myself!
It's a Royalty Free track I bought a year back, I'm not sure if it's available anywhere else. I found the artist through Google back then, and I think she was on Myspace.

padfoot
17-May-08, 23:22
Padfoot, I love your signature!!! X

haha thank you i do too i got it by putting in one liners in google here's the link they have some really really good ones i was laughin my head off at some

http://www.jokesandhumor.com/jokes/362.html

padfoot
17-May-08, 23:23
That's Correct - how did you know that!? I had a job remembering myself!
It's a Royalty Free track I bought a year back, I'm not sure if it's available anywhere else. I found the artist through Google back then, and I think she was on Myspace.

haha you told my mum on email when you replied to her today

Kevin Milkins
17-May-08, 23:38
I can't see how this kind of publicity can be good publicity for him!! He really should think before he posts blogs!

I know someone that got married a couple of weeks before me and were disappointed with the photos he did compared with mine, so the proof really is within the pudding!!!

Anyone that is good in what they can do, can do well without criticising the opposition.,. :roll:

I dont believe there is such a thing as bad publicity and this thread alone has made many people aware of this guys fine work with a camera.
And if you found someone to take photos and bake you a pudding you have done well.:lol:

Average
17-May-08, 23:42
As for other people having similar styles, I'm not so sure I agree that there are people 'everywhere' using the same style.

Originality is hard to find.

www.davidho.co.uk (http://www.davidho.co.uk)

www.gordonmcgowan.co.uk (http://www.gordonmcgowan.co.uk)

henry20
17-May-08, 23:47
And if you found someone to take photos and bake you a pudding you have done well.:lol:

Crikeys, if they can do the cooking/baking, I couldn't give a stuff about the photos!! I can easily get someone to do them!!

John Baikie
18-May-08, 00:05

www.davidho.co.uk (http://www.davidho.co.uk)

www.gordonmcgowan.co.uk (http://www.gordonmcgowan.co.uk)

Gordon is a very good friend of mine, and mentored me for a while, so inevitable that there will be some slight similarities, however he does things in a very different way to me, especially on lighting and posing which he does in a completely different way. Gordon is also 250 miles away and working in a different market. He was chosen as my mentor some time ago by the MPA as they thought we had similar styles. I actually have developed and moved in a completely different direction since we got together as I didn't want us to be similar. We both shoot a quite dark, moody style but I think that's where the comparisons end.

David is heavily influenced by Gordon - I haven't even looked at his site, but I am assuming he is shooting similar stuff by the time you posted it. I know he is a big fan of Gordon's. He's one of the up and coming ones in Scotland.

I agree originality is hard to find, but you can find it if you look for it.

henry20
18-May-08, 00:09
originality is hard to find

So, why do you think anything remotely similar is copying? ..... just intrigued (after all, originality is hard to find!)

John Baikie
18-May-08, 00:22
So, why do you think anything remotely similar is copying? ..... just intrigued (after all, originality is hard to find!)

I think you missed the point again.
I have not said at any stage that 'anything remotely similar' is copying. Copying is copying. It's different.

Making a replica of a £1000 Louis Vuitton handbag and selling it on EBay for £100 is copying. Designing a similarly sized handbag that looks different and selling it for £800 is not copying. It's a similar sized bag, but it looks different. The designer has supplied a market with a product aimed at the same market, but also a very different product, which will appeal to different tastes.

I also said originality can be found, if you look. Same applies to copying.

MadPict
18-May-08, 00:24

www.davidho.co.uk

www.gordonmcgowan.co.uk

The point that the other photographers are based in the south of Scotland and not 'next door' is pertinent.

Boozeburglar
18-May-08, 01:00
Not remotely.

The fact is much of what Baikie is doing is inspired rather than original, in all aspects other than its geography.

Craig Mackay is a great photographer. You won't see him blogging about other photographers who happen to use similar styles, as he accepts he did not invent them.

Shut up and let your work do the talking is my advice.

You don't need to reinvent gold, just use it wisely.

:)

The Angel Of Death
18-May-08, 03:41
So what’s to say if I like "insert picture X" and have a photographer other than yourself then as a paying customer do I have to settle for something different ???

Or as a paying customer can I not sat that I want a picture similar to one that you (or another photographer has taken)

Its not as if you have taken a certain picture at a certain location which means that no one else can take the same / similar picture ever again

Is there such a thing as photographer copyright for a specific style / location ???

porshiepoo
18-May-08, 07:43
The problem is, having looked around on the net, I can see that this particular style of photography seems to be quite popular right now. It offers something different from the regular wedding photos that most of us have.
I love photography and have to admit that were I capable of taking photos of this style and calibre, I most likely would. But I'm not and never will be!

Having said that I can still completely understand someone being peeved off and protective if he feels his style is being copied just because it's a money earner and without all of the time, effort, blood, sweat and tears that John Baikie has put in. He seems accepting of the fact that photography needs have changed and that different is the way to go and personally IMO what he puts in his own blog is his business. He's only addressing some issues that have been raised and setting out his opinion and feelings on the matter, much the same as what we are doing here.
As I said before, John gives no clue as to who this other person is so i really don't see what the harm is.

John: those photos are awesome and I want to get married all over again just so that I can have you do the photography! :)

Average
18-May-08, 08:31
Folk are always going to try to get a bargain. If they can go to a photographer and get them to provide the same style of shot as another more expensive photographer for less then they will.

Also for some photography is not about the art or being original, its about being profitable. If they can mirror a style of shot which sells they will and good luck to them.

Average
18-May-08, 08:32
Is there such a thing as photographer copyright for a specific style / location ???

Absolutely not.

henry20
18-May-08, 08:33
I tried to book John Baikie when I got married, but he was unavailable, so I had to book someone else.

Had I seen a photo on his site that I liked, I would have been sure to ask the photographer to do the same style of photo. If others had done the same, it would become obvious that the style was popular. So, surely it would've been me that was copying and not the photographer. The photographer would only be meeting the customers needs.

Wedding photos have progressed a lot over the years and all photographers need to keep up with the trends.

There is no doubt that John is a talented photographer, but that doesn't mean other photographers in the area aren't entitled to be too. :roll:

The photographer I did book did an excellent job and I wish I'd gone there first.

brokencross
18-May-08, 09:44
Imitation is supposed to be the sincerest form of flattery.
Obviously captiv8 is a successful, imaginative and excellent photographer.
With this success captiv8 should expect others to emulate this success; some will do this by pure grit and determination using their own guile to establish a style/genre that defines them. Others will take the easier route by blatant plagiarism.

As captiv8 admits you can't really copyright a style so maybe the only way he can vent his frustration is through the blog and therefore highlight the possible risks of trying "cheap imitations".

Reading the blog and looking at the portfolio of photographs it is obvious that captiv8 is kept very busy; I don't know how much the "cheaper imitations" is affecting the business but has been stated elsewhere "welcome to the commercial world". All he can do is keeping striving for perfection, the cream always will come to the top.

padfoot
18-May-08, 09:50
i dont think that the other person should be named bt i think this post should be taken off and have reported it

Average
18-May-08, 09:55
I have had a look through all the photographers listed in the caithness.org business section, (man there are alot of photographer for the population) I cant really see any doing weddings which are similar too or as good as captiv8.

That Martina Cross is a bit good though.

padfoot
18-May-08, 10:01
hey yeah just looked her up she is really quite good

Average
18-May-08, 10:05
Her landscapes are anyway, not so sure about the portraiture.

padfoot
18-May-08, 10:07
i only seen landscapes never seen any portraits