PDA

View Full Version : Pet Passport

Tilter
16-May-08, 21:58
Hi,
I've just printed off a load of bumf from the DEFRA website regarding how to get a pet passport. It looks awfully complicated but maybe it's simpler than it appears. I've no plans to travel with dog to France at moment, but I believe it takes 6 months or so and I think we'll get it done so we can take off when we want. It's my understanding that once you've got the passport, and take care to keep it up-to-date, it's fairly hassle-free - (1) micro-chip, (2) rabies vacc and (3) blood test.

Has anyone else got one and was it easier than it sounds?

aororko
16-May-08, 23:30
Hi, It is easier than it sounds. We have just gone through the passport for getting our dog a pet passport. The vet knew what he was doing so just ask them. You are right all you need is first micro-chip then a export cert (passport), then a rabies vacc. This gets done in one session at the vets then, four weeks later or 21 days, get a rabies blood test. If that comes back possitive then the dog is free to come back into the UK after 6 months of the blood test. Keep the rabies vacc up to date and you will be fine.
You can even put a photo of your dog on the passport if you wish!!

HTH

Kevin Milkins
17-May-08, 00:25
It was a lot easier than I thought and I would guess it has got eaiser now as it is a bit more standard.The bit I found the hardest was coming back into the country via France we had to coordinate a vets apointments for Echinococcus treatment for our 2 dogs and then sail within 24 hours.
We went out in 2004 and came back in 2005 so things might have changed and a bit depends on what countrys you visiting.

Tilter
17-May-08, 23:04
Thanks for the info. I'll make an appointment at vet's and get cracking on it.