PDA

View Full Version : Unsecured Wireless Network

dragonfly
16-May-08, 09:42
we've had wi-fi for quite a while now and it was set up for us by a friend of a friend etc but just the other day it wouldn't connect so when I went into viewing available networks to attemp connection noticed that its unsecured.

Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to secure it??

its a D-Link AirplusG+, DWL-G650+ (comes up in available networks as G604T_Wireless)

thanks in advance

blueivy
16-May-08, 11:16
we've had wi-fi for quite a while now and it was set up for us by a friend of a friend etc but just the other day it wouldn't connect so when I went into viewing available networks to attemp connection noticed that its unsecured.

Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to secure it??

its a D-Link AirplusG+, DWL-G650+ (comes up in available networks as G604T_Wireless)

thanks in advance

Hi Dragonfly,

Unless somebody has that exact model step by step instructions are going to be difficult as each router has it's own menu structure etc. They do all have the same settings though.

Your card and router both support WPA encryption so you will want to use that to secure the network.

To set it up on the router, you will need to go into the router menus and find encryption / wireless settings and enable WPA encryption (it may be called WPA-PSK - the PSK part stands for Pre-Shared Key). You will then need to tell the router what your Pre-Shared Key is (this is a phrase that you make up) - make sure it's long, it has numbers, symbols, lower and upper case letters and write it down (preferably on a little sticker and stick it to the bottom of the router). For example my own Pre-Shared Key is around 25 characters long. Once you have done that you need to configure the card.

There are two different ways that your card could be configured - either by Windows or by the Dlink software. Go into Start->Control Panel->Network Connections and open the wireless network connection. If it's not managed by windows then most of the options on this page will be greyed out and you will need to configure it with the Dlink software. If it is Windows that is controlling it then find your router in the list and click the Modify button. Enter the encryption as WPA-PSK and the other option as TKIP. Enter the Pre-Shared Key that you entered into the router and click OK.

Keep your fingers crossed and the card should then connect to the router using WPA. I usually find that this is problematic the first time you connect and it can take a minute or so. If it takes longer than that, it's not working. Come back here and let us know.

Bobinovich
16-May-08, 11:21
Firstly the DWL-G650+ is a wireless adaptor and the G604T is your wireless router.

According to the manual, you'll need to start your preferred browser and, in the address bar, type 192.168.1.1 and press return - this should being up a D-Link login screen. Unless you've changed them, the default username and password are both admin

Now, down the left hand side you should see a Wireless button, click it and, on the right hand part of the screen, you'll see the wireless settings. There are radio buttons to choose the different levels of security available ranging from None, WEP, 802.1x and WPA. At this point the level of security you want to apply is your choice - for non-critical users WEP is probably sufficient, but if you want full protection then WPA is the way to go.

If you choose WEP then click Apply you will be taken onto a screen where you can configure the security code. If you use 64-bit WEP then you'll need to enter 10 hexadecimal digits (numbers 0 - 9 and letters A - F), 128-bit will require 26 digits, & so on - look at the bottom of that screen for more info. Don't forget to write down your choosen security code.

If you choose WPA then you should opt for the PSK String value and type in something which is memorable to you.

Once you've Applied your choosen security code, the wireless link should be secure, and you will need to reconnect any wireless devices using your new code.

Let us know how you get on.

blueivy
16-May-08, 11:28
At this point the level of security you want to apply is your choice - for non-critical users WEP is probably sufficient, but if you want full protection then WPA is the way to go.

WEP encryption isn't secure these days and can be cracked in a matter of seconds by almost anybody who can download software from the internet. A quick Google will show you the amount of software available (most of it very easy to use).

I wouldn't recommend anybody use WEP encryption unless it's all their equipment can support. If you have to use WEP encryption turn on MAC filtering and add the MAC address of your card - that is also pretty poor security-wise but it is another bolt on the door.

If you can, replace the old equipment with something that supports at least WPA.

dragonfly
16-May-08, 13:34
if you want full protection then WPA is the way to go. If you choose WPA then you should opt for the PSK String value and type in something which is memorable to you.

Once you've Applied your choosen security code, the wireless link should be secure, and you will need to reconnect any wireless devices using your new code.

Before I do that Bob, what wireless devices are we talking about - sorry but I am as thick as mince when it comes to IT! are you meaning the pc's/laptops within the house will have to be configured and if so how do I do that :confused:

just reread Blue Ivy's post so think I know what I am doing now, if not I will be round chapping on your door bobinovich!!!

dragonfly
16-May-08, 19:07
ok, don't know what I'm doing, tried all that above, got chucked off as network unavailable so rebooted still network unavailable, shut down and left until now and its fine but network still unsecured?

went to ip address as given above clicked on the wireless button under setup, chose WPA, selected PSK string and put in a alphanumeric password, applied that, went to network connections, under properties selected wireless networks, changed the network authentication from OPEN to WPA-PSK set the same password as on IP website, ok'd and then got kicked off

ideas??

blueivy
16-May-08, 19:08
ok, don't know what I'm doing, tried all that above, got chucked off as network unavailable so rebooted still network unavailable, shut down and left until now and its fine but network still unsecured?

went to ip address as given above clicked on the wireless button under setup, chose WPA, selected PSK string and put in a alphanumeric password, applied that, went to network connections, under properties selected wireless networks, changed the network authentication from OPEN to WPA-PSK set the same password as on IP website, ok'd and then got kicked off

ideas??

What do you see when you 'scan' for wireless networks? You said the network is still unsecured - how do you know that (ie. what tells you that)?

dragonfly
16-May-08, 19:18
when I rightclick the little monitor icon on the task bar, choose view available networks it comes up with Wireless Network Connections and it says "choose a wireless network". I can see a list with up to 3 wireless networks, mine being the top one (assuming these other 2 are neighbours)

G604T_Wirelss - unsecured wireless network

BTHomeHub-1568 - Security-enabled wireless network (this also has padlock icon)

blueivy
16-May-08, 19:20
when I rightclick the little monitor icon on the task bar, choose view available networks it comes up with Wireless Network Connections and it says "choose a wireless network". I can see a list with up to 3 wireless networks, mine being the top one (assuming these other 2 are neighbours)

G604T_Wirelss - unsecured wireless network

BTHomeHub-1568 - Security-enabled wireless network (this also has padlock icon)

If yours is the network named G604T_Wireless then you haven't enabled WPA in the router (which is why the network card on your laptop is no longer connecting - it's trying to connect using WPA and the router doesn't have that enabled).

Go back through Bobinovich's instructions for enabling WPA on your router.

dragonfly
16-May-08, 19:31
is the router the IP address Paul?? if so it is showing as WPA when before it was None

blueivy
16-May-08, 19:33
is the router the IP address Paul?? if so it is showing as WPA when before it was None

Yes it is. When you say that WPA is there when before there was none, do you mean in the configuration page of the router?

You said that when you scan for networks it shows as unsecured? Maybe you need to reboot the router before the changes take effect (just a thought - I don't know this router)?

dragonfly
16-May-08, 19:37
yes, there are 3 choices NONE, WEP & WPA. Before I started NONE was selected, now when I logon to the webpage WPA is selected and under the PKS-STRING I can see the password I chose.

then when I view the available networks through control panel, network connections etc it states its unsecured

I have rebooted/reset the router - did that earlier to see if it would have an effect

blueivy
16-May-08, 19:42
yes, there are 3 choices NONE, WEP & WPA. Before I started NONE was selected, now when I logon to the webpage WPA is selected and under the PKS-STRING I can see the password I chose.

then when I view the available networks through control panel, network connections etc it states its unsecured

I have rebooted/reset the router - did that earlier to see if it would have an effect

Remove the card from your laptop and reinsert it. Try again and see if it says it's secure. If it doesn't reboot the laptop and try again.

If it is secured and the card thinks it's not then something is not right. It probably shouldn't affect the connection having failed but it isn't right and we need to fix that before you can go further.