PDA

View Full Version : 14 Units of alcohol a week?

Fantoosh
16-May-08, 00:00
hey everyone. Was just reading a magazine article where Nikki from Big brother was explaining that she could drink the recommended 14 units for women in two nights. I looked up how much a unit is and realised that myself and most people I know drink more than that when drinking during one night (Which is pretty terrible I know) Was just wondering what other people drink, how much of it and how much they can handle before they pass out/fall over/try to snog their best friend?

sorry if this has been done before :roll: Im pretty scared starting this thread in case I get shouted at for something. So please be gentle [lol]

Heres a table to help you calculate. lol. I only drink cider by the way. :) If I am sitting in for a night in will buy 8 tins and drink them, and if going out I dont have a clue, dont keep track.
ALCOPOPS
275ml bottle of 5.5% alcopops = 1.5 units
750ml bottle of 5.5% alcopops = 4 units
WINE
175ml glass of 12% wine = 2 units
750ml bottle of 12% wine = 9 units.
750ml bottle of 13.5% wine = 10.25 units
750ml bottle 20% Port = 15 units
750ml bottle of 17.5% Sherry = 13.25 units.
750 ml bottle of 15% Vermouth = 11 units (1.5ltr bottle = 22 units)
BEER
pint of 3 – 3.5% normal strength beer = 2 units
pint of 5.2% lager = 3 units.
440ml can of 5.3% lager = 1.75 units
440ml can of 9.5% lager = 4.25 units.
CIDER & PERRY
pint of 6% cider = 3.5 units
500ml can of 5% cider = 2.5 units.
litre bottle of 5% cider -= 5 units
500ml can of 7.5% cider = 3.75 units.
litre bottle of 7.5% cider = 7.5 units
3 litre bottle of 7.5% cider = 22.5 units
1500ml bottle of 7.5% perry = 11.25 units.
SPIRITS
single measure (25ml) 40% spirits = 1 unit
350ml bottle of 37.5% spirits = 13.25 units ie vodka
700ml bottle = 26.5 units
litre bottle = 37.5 units
187.5ml bottle of 40% spirits = 7.5 units ie whisky, brandy, dark rum
200ml bottle = 8 units
350ml bottle = 14 units.
700ml bottle = 28 units.
litre bottle = 40 units

padfoot
16-May-08, 00:03
i would say i drink about that in one nite altho only go out once a week occasionally more bt i think it would not take me long to b doin 2 of those things dnt noramlly pass till later haha unless i drink just vodka with extra vokda on top hahahahahahahahaha

Fantoosh
16-May-08, 00:08
padfoot doesnt count coz she tries to snog friends when sober :lol:

padfoot
16-May-08, 00:09
here ur one to talk fantoosh lol u like the face licking hahaha

Fantoosh
16-May-08, 00:10
ok i admit it [para]

padfoot
16-May-08, 00:11
hahaha lol atleast ur honest haha

Kevin Milkins
16-May-08, 00:13
How would Nikki from Big Brother possibly be able to work out anything for herself ?:lol:

Fantoosh
16-May-08, 00:16
How would Nikki from Big Brother possibly be able to work out anything for herself ?:lol:

I suppose so :lol:

padfoot
16-May-08, 00:23
hahaha thats a good one lol

Lord Flasheart
16-May-08, 00:49
If a pint of strong lager is 3 units I can sink the 14 units in .. erm .. no time at all.

I would be interested though in some of the female orgers letting me know at what level on the points scale you feel like snogging your best mate .. just so I can keep an eye out for it.

In the past I always used to use the points scale of .. "One Tequila .. Two Tequila .. Three Tequilla .. Floor."

Worked for me.

Fantoosh
16-May-08, 00:54
If a pint of strong lager is 3 units I can sink the 14 units in .. erm .. no time at all.

I would be interested though in some of the female orgers letting me know at what level on the points scale you feel like snogging your best mate .. just so I can keep an eye out for it.

In the past I always used to use the points scale of .. "One Tequila .. Two Tequila .. Three Tequilla .. Floor."

Worked for me.

Good technique, think I'll try that [lol] Fancy joining me?

padfoot
16-May-08, 00:54
haha it dnt take much for me as fantoosh said i dnt need to b drunk hahaha

Venture
16-May-08, 09:56
[quote=Fantoosh;384393]hey everyone. Was just reading a magazine article where Nikki from Big brother was explaining that she could drink the recommended 14 units for women in two nights. I looked up how much a unit is and realised that myself and most people I know drink more than that when drinking during one night (Which is pretty terrible I know) Was just wondering what other people drink, how much of it and how much they can handle before they pass out/fall over/try to snog their best friend?

sorry if this has been done before :roll: Im pretty scared starting this thread in case I get shouted at for something. So please be gentle [lol]

Heres a table to help you calculate. lol. I only drink cider by the way. :) If I am sitting in for a night in will buy 8 tins and drink them, and if going out I dont have a clue, dont keep track.

How can you admit to drinking 8 cans of cider in a night and not expect to get a reaction? What age are you? Have to say drinking on that scale is shocking and dangerous. With all that's in the news about women in particular over indulging in drink you and padfoot need to be studying some facts before its too late.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1704167.stm

speedo215
16-May-08, 10:05
when i have a night out not very often i drink more than that and i hardly drink during the week or in the house

padfoot
16-May-08, 10:15
yeah hav to say there is worse ppl drink quite a lot more more regualrily than once a week like us so i dnt c wat is wrong with indulging myself once a week and im only 19 and only properly started drinkin 2 years ago wen i went really beserk and hav since then gone to one night a week which i think is quite reasonable and on the one nite a week i drink alot less than i used to so i am improving unlike sum of the older ppl in this community a fair lot of who seem to spend most days in the pub and even if only havin a few each time in a week they must drink a good deal more than me and fantoosh

ciderally
16-May-08, 10:25
stopped drinking a few years ago...after the worst hangover in the world..took me 3 days to recover....one glass on an occasion but that hangover remains with me..and its just not worth it...tolerance to booze must change as you get older...

Venture
16-May-08, 11:15
yeah hav to say there is worse ppl drink quite a lot more more regualrily than once a week like us so i dnt c wat is wrong with indulging myself once a week and im only 19 and only properly started drinkin 2 years ago wen i went really beserk and hav since then gone to one night a week which i think is quite reasonable and on the one nite a week i drink alot less than i used to so i am improving unlike sum of the older ppl in this community a fair lot of who seem to spend most days in the pub and even if only havin a few each time in a week they must drink a good deal more than me and fantoosh

Its not how often you drink that Im on about its the amount in one sitting. You're comparing yourself with those who drink every day. By what you have posted on here it looks like you are probably drinking more in a night than some do in a month never mind a week. Where is the sense in taking drink to the point where you pass out. Its not only dangerous but totally irresponsible. You and Fantoosh are treating the subject of teenage drinking on here as a big joke. Its not. Its what it can lead to that you should both be concerned about.

Lord Flasheart
16-May-08, 11:18
Good technique, think I'll try that [lol] Fancy joining me?

Line em up !! .. as long as you are buying though .. ;)

As for those who think drinking 8 cans of cider a night is shocking and should be condemned I say this .. as long as people arent falling out of bars and fighting or being sick in the street then so what ??, and what they do in the privacy of their own home is their buisness.

I for one am sick of the nanny state telling me how much salt I should eat, how much I should drink, I shouldnt smoke, I need to eat five portions of vegetables every day etc etc. I smoke, I drink, I eat red meat, I have even been known to have my scrambled eggs slightly undercooked ...*gasp* .... what about salmonella ??

But then I like to live on the edge .. :lol:

Thumper
16-May-08, 11:22
I have to admit that I can easily drink 14 units in one night....probably twice that at times :eek: now before I get the irresponsible lecture I do not pass out,forget where I am,or who I am,or generally make a tit of myself,well no more so than I do any other time anyway ;) x

Lord Flasheart
16-May-08, 11:36
I have to admit that I can easily drink 14 units in one night....probably twice that at times :eek: now before I get the irresponsible lecture I do not pass out,forget where I am,or who I am,or generally make a tit of myself,well no more so than I do any other time anyway ;) x

14 units is a solid effort.

I intend to beat that record this very evening, and the best bit is the Goverment is paying as I have just got my Tax Rebate from them !!

TGIF !!

ciderally
16-May-08, 12:02
ah tax rebate...nice one dont happen to often...enjoy

armanisgirl
16-May-08, 12:37
14 units doesn't seem to be much, and when you're like me and your maths sucks, how are you meant to be able to keep tabs on it all?

I do agree with some of the comments, both for and against unit totals. I too have 'bounced' out of pubs, off walls etc, thankfully not very often, and most done years ago when I was young enough to not care what I looked like!

I hardly ever drink now, and have been like that for about 10 years. Not because I have had a drink problem, but because I really cannot be ar*ed with all the under-agers, or those who seem intent on causing trouble when they've had a drink. When I go out, I like to have a laugh and enjoy the company I am in, not fight to be heard/get near the bar/fight for a seat/or any other kind of fight. many nights out are ruined by those who drink themselves into oblivion and then say thay don't care what they looked like/said/did the night before.

But, how many of you think about the risks involved in binging every weekend, wether it's one noght of the week or all seven? Most of you, like me, think the main risks are liver and organ damage, passing out in a gutter, wetting ourselves, or being sexually assaulted. Do these risks ever seem real to you? Probably not, as most of us think "It will never happen to me", or don't care if they wet themselves when drunk - after all, it was a good night out.

What about this - how many of you believe a night out binge drinking can actually kill you? And those of you who do, do you have the "it'll never happen to me" syndrome?

Drinking to excess like this is not funny or clever. It doesn't make you a bigger or better person. It doesn't make the teenager 'older'. All it does is put your life at risk and in a way you would never expect it. It also leaves your friends and family asking 'How can this happen?' or 'why?'

I only respond to this thread in the hope that for some people, this reality will hit home, and they realise it is not all fun and a big joke.

My twin brother had an evening of drinking with his friends last weekend. He was celebrating our 37th birthday. They all drank to the point they began falling asleep. In the morning, someone tried to go to the toilet but couldn't get the door open. My brother was lying behind the door. He was dead. Through excessive drinking, he had choked and died. His funeral is next week. My family are sitting asking the 'why?' question. We all know he liked a 'good bevvy' whether it was every weekend or once a month. It doesn't matter how often or how little he consumed large amounts of alcohol anyway. What matters is that an otherwise fit and healthy lad is now dead as the result of being drunk. He'll never be able to say "I'm ok, it won't happen to me", because it has. I'll never have another birthday with him. our family will never have any Christmases together again. We'll never have our stupid and often pointless fall-outs again. And all because of a night of drinks.

My only consolation is that he WAS having a good night having a laugh with his mates, and that they were there with him in his flat, that he wasn't all alone.

And until numpty's like Nikki feel the aftermath of losing a loved one, celebrities will continue to spout nonsense, fall into their waiting limo or spew in the gutter, all being caught on camera. And the rest of society will continue to get so drunk they pass out. What is the point of that? But most importantly, what is the point of cutting short a life?

Please think about this - I'm not a do-gooder by any means. I am, naturally, very upset and grieving just now.

padfoot
16-May-08, 12:55
Its not how often you drink that Im on about its the amount in one sitting. You're comparing yourself with those who drink every day. By what you have posted on here it looks like you are probably drinking more in a night than some do in a month never mind a week. Where is the sense in taking drink to the point where you pass out. Its not only dangerous but totally irresponsible. You and Fantoosh are treating the subject of teenage drinking on here as a big joke. Its not. Its what it can lead to that you should both be concerned about.

for one yeah i am compairing myself to them because that is sumwhere i will never go and we do not take drink till we pass out we can handle our drink very well and always know where we r and that we may make a tit of ourself bt that is all in fun as we do it just as we start gettin drunk and we r not treating it as a joke she was just askin ppl about it and we had a private little joke about the snoggin thing and we r well aware of wat it leads to we r not completely stupid and know our limit

haha yeah lordflasheart me and fantoosh r plannin more than 14 units 2nite aswell lol

padfoot
16-May-08, 12:58
hi armanisgirl would just like to say i am very sorry for your loss xxxx

Venture
16-May-08, 13:00
14 units doesn't seem to be much, and when you're like me and your maths sucks, how are you meant to be able to keep tabs on it all?

I do agree with some of the comments, both for and against unit totals. I too have 'bounced' out of pubs, off walls etc, thankfully not very often, and most done years ago when I was young enough to not care what I looked like!

I hardly ever drink now, and have been like that for about 10 years. Not because I have had a drink problem, but because I really cannot be ar*ed with all the under-agers, or those who seem intent on causing trouble when they've had a drink. When I go out, I like to have a laugh and enjoy the company I am in, not fight to be heard/get near the bar/fight for a seat/or any other kind of fight. many nights out are ruined by those who drink themselves into oblivion and then say thay don't care what they looked like/said/did the night before.

But, how many of you think about the risks involved in binging every weekend, wether it's one noght of the week or all seven? Most of you, like me, think the main risks are liver and organ damage, passing out in a gutter, wetting ourselves, or being sexually assaulted. Do these risks ever seem real to you? Probably not, as most of us think "It will never happen to me", or don't care if they wet themselves when drunk - after all, it was a good night out.

What about this - how many of you believe a night out binge drinking can actually kill you? And those of you who do, do you have the "it'll never happen to me" syndrome?

Drinking to excess like this is not funny or clever. It doesn't make you a bigger or better person. It doesn't make the teenager 'older'. All it does is put your life at risk and in a way you would never expect it. It also leaves your friends and family asking 'How can this happen?' or 'why?'

I only respond to this thread in the hope that for some people, this reality will hit home, and they realise it is not all fun and a big joke.

My twin brother had an evening of drinking with his friends last weekend. He was celebrating our 37th birthday. They all drank to the point they began falling asleep. In the morning, someone tried to go to the toilet but couldn't get the door open. My brother was lying behind the door. He was dead. Through excessive drinking, he had choked and died. His funeral is next week. My family are sitting asking the 'why?' question. We all know he liked a 'good bevvy' whether it was every weekend or once a month. It doesn't matter how often or how little he consumed large amounts of alcohol anyway. What matters is that an otherwise fit and healthy lad is now dead as the result of being drunk. He'll never be able to say "I'm ok, it won't happen to me", because it has. I'll never have another birthday with him. our family will never have any Christmases together again. We'll never have our stupid and often pointless fall-outs again. And all because of a night of drinks.

My only consolation is that he WAS having a good night having a laugh with his mates, and that they were there with him in his flat, that he wasn't all alone.

And until numpty's like Nikki feel the aftermath of losing a loved one, celebrities will continue to spout nonsense, fall into their waiting limo or spew in the gutter, all being caught on camera. And the rest of society will continue to get so drunk they pass out. What is the point of that? But most importantly, what is the point of cutting short a life?

Please think about this - I'm not a do-gooder by any means. I am, naturally, very upset and grieving just now.

Im so sorry to hear about your brother. My sympathy goes out to you and your family.

Maybe by reading your post, which you have taken the time to put on here at such a difficult time, it will make everyone who seems to think its OK to over indulge in alcolhol sit up and take note that as you say.. it can happen to them.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Angela
16-May-08, 13:31
Im so sorry to hear about your brother. My sympathy goes out to you and your family.

Maybe by reading your post, which you have taken the time to put on here at such a difficult time, will make everyone who seems to think its OK to over indulge in alcolhol sit up and take note that as you say.. it can happen to them.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Well said, Venture - I agree wholeheartedly.

Armanisgirl, it was brave of you to post about your brother and my thoughts are with you and your family at this sad time.

Anne x
16-May-08, 13:33
I agree with Venture and Angela sorry for your loss

Margaret M.
16-May-08, 14:35
Armanisgirl, I am so sorry to hear about your brother's death. I hope your post makes a difference.

Margaret M.
16-May-08, 14:39
It is troubling to see how many young folk in Caithness drink like fish. Being able to drink a lot is nothing to be proud of and I certainly would not be bragging about it.

Ash
16-May-08, 15:06
i have the odd glass of wine, but thats enough for me, i dont drink to get wasted, i drink wine cause i enjoy the taste, and it happens once in a blue moon

arminasgirl im soo sorry for your loss

Flair
16-May-08, 15:27
I don't drink, I adhere to the straight-edge lifestyle. ;)

No alcohol, no drugs, no tobacco.

scorrie
16-May-08, 16:23
If you take a trawl through Bebo you will see that alcohol is glorified by young people in Scotland. The more hammered you are, the better it is, seems to be the mantra. Recent events with football fans drinking a city dry would seem to indicate that older people also love the bevvy.

Units are just a rough guideline, individuals vary greatly in how much alcohol they can handle. I recall a sketch on Friday Night live where fictional ex-footballer Bob Doolally opined that the safe guidelines for consumption were 14 units for women, 21 for men and 35 for pre-op transsexuals, because that was a case of a woman trapped in a man's body. He went on to explain that he was free to consume heavily, since Jim Baxter had left him 76 units in his Will. That sketch seems to typify the attitude towards alcohol, in Scotland at least. Had the subject matter been cocaine or other "Chemicals" no doubt we would be appalled at making humour out of it. Alcohol is also a drug but too many people now use it for there to be much that can be done about it. Our drug of choice is legal and, therefore, clean. Only "Other People" have problems with drinking too much, is a common riposte to this subject but there is massive alcohol misuse throughout the UK. Sadly, tragedies like that which befell armanigirl's brother happen more often than we hear about. The country is awash with alcohol, all too easy to access, and often inexpensive. We can argue all day about the root of the problem but a change away from the "sexy" image of alcohol and an understanding that it is actually a poison to your system might be a small help.

armanisgirl
16-May-08, 16:44
Hi again.

Just to say thank you for all your kind messages. I wasn't trying to have a 'rant', but highlight what CAN happen, and as has been said, more often than we know about. (It maybe didn't help that I had just taken a telephone call regarding funeral flowers, and so was upset again anyway. I had come on today for a bit of light-hearted relief, which you guys are always providing us with, even when it's not intentional!!)

In previous years, there have been big campaigns for drink or drug driving, abusing drugs etc (remember the ones of the girl who used drugs and ended up on a life-support machine, or the photo of the girl found with a needle in her arm- dead on the floor?). Such images quite often have a huge impact on people, either preventing them from trying drugs, or motivating them to come off drugs. And yes, with some they have little or no effect.

As death through choking while drunk IS more common than most think, I would have thought a campaign, showing this, would have been instigated a long time ago. It's not just Scotland that this happens in though, it's all over the U.K and beyond. While explaining our personal tragedy to friends today, I found out another 2 people (whom were relatives of said friends) had died in the same way. I hadn't realised it was so common, and I also didn't think for a minute that our family would be touched by it. But it has.

I'm all for a fun night out, with sensible drinking. I'm not an old fogey and I'm not a 'party-pooper'. I just don't get why being unable to function or remember things is such an attraction. Maybe it's because I have children that I became so 'sensible', but I can be the biggest numpty going at times without being paraletic. Life is for living - not throwing away unintentionally. Part of me is SO angry about Stuart dying. It didn't need to happen, that's all.

Linda xx

Tilter
16-May-08, 17:02
Armanisgirl
Thank you so much for sharing this with us. It was brave. I'm very sorry for you and your family and can imagine a little how angry you must feel. It should make us all sit up and pay attention.

Anji
16-May-08, 19:00
Armanisgirl, my heart goes out to you. I wish I could do something to help, but I know you just have to work through your grief.

Kismet
16-May-08, 19:12
stopped drinking a few years ago...after the worst hangover in the world..took me 3 days to recover....one glass on an occasion but that hangover remains with me..and its just not worth it...tolerance to booze must change as you get older...

Yeah I think the hangovers get worse and longer and take less drink to bring on as you get older. I myself drink very little compared to what I used to especially in my teens and party days. I think then I drank more than Fantoosh and Padfoot.

Now and again I have four pints of Stella, I am shocked to realise that this is 12 of my 14 units, when I used to go out regularly saw loads and loads of people including myself drink a lot more than that in the pub and then buy carryouts and continue at a house party.

It is dangerous and condolences to anyone who has lost a family member or anyone through alcohol and you can lose people without them dying alcoholism is a horrible thing to happen to anyone

But it is all too common up here and many other places too, I don't see the point in lecturing two young lassies who drink the level or slightly more,fair enough, but only once a week and don't get falling down drunk or get into fights or give people aggro, when their elders are showing them that this is okay to do. If we have a teenage drinking problem up here then is most likely that they influenced by their elders.

Least they were curious enough for our responses, honest reponses (without lectures or having a go and often only at the young ) would work better on teenagers, whom some, when are lectured are likely to do it more so as not to be seen to be told what to do.

Just my opinion

joxville
16-May-08, 19:15
I've never been much of a drinker, 4 or 5 pints then couple of Vodka & Coke's. Had a real blow-out a few years ago and started chatting up my future wifes cousin while my fiancee stood chatting 6 feet away! Had the hangover from Hell next morning as well as having to travelling to England by train. By the time the train got to Georgemas Junction I wanted to die lol. I decided never to get in that state again and have stuck by it. For the last 6 years I've only drunk shandy if I go out.

padfoot
17-May-08, 12:02
hey fantoosh how u feelin after work wat a nite no exit wound were great haha ttl funny i just stood out in the smokin bit for astronaut haha it felt like drinkin at 2 in the afternoon tho with it bein so light did u remember to count the units think i had about 16 17 was great nite tho without fallin over without snoggin anyone and remember it all and got to listin to 4 bands the one in the newmarket was good altho ats me on the juice now hahahaha ;)

padfoot
17-May-08, 23:33
how come is it when young people talk about drinking we get slagged off and bad rep points and as funny as the new thread is i dont c anyone goin on slagging off the older people drunkin antics some people on this site must be agest

Fantoosh
17-May-08, 23:35
I did not start this thread to boast or think i am big because I drink 8 tins. And i think that it is pretty sad that i get a bad rep point and get called pathetic because of it. Obviously Im not the one that needs to grow up. Yes i might drink that much in one go, but I know whe Ive had enough and I know my limits.

Fantoosh
17-May-08, 23:37
how come is it when young people talk about drinking we get slagged off and bad rep points and as funny as the new thread is i dont c anyone goin on slagging off the older people drunkin antics some people on this site must be agest

You are totally right. Older people telling what they did when younger is so funny eh? But for us its 'pathetic'

padfoot
17-May-08, 23:38
i know altho theres is funny i dont see why our fun is stamped over

Fluff
23-May-08, 22:11
I can see how easy it is to drink too much. I rarely drink, but when I do it is usually cocktails which often have a lot of different spirits in them, so the total creeps up!
My oh and I don't go out drinking etc.. but down here the bars sell drink so cheap (esp as Reading is a uni town) shots for £1, pick 'n mix your favorite shots blah blah

For me personally, I don't understand why people think going out and getting so plastered that they cannot remember what they did is a good time but each to their own (as long as they don't then become abusive or violent)

percy toboggan
23-May-08, 22:57
I don't agree with people who might 'bad rep' you.

That said if you're drinking eight cans of cider - presumably five to eight per cent abv then you , at a young age clearly have an appetite for alcohol...albeit the rather junior tasting stuff which is cider. Maybe when you have more money in your pocket a greater proportion of it will be spent on drink...I dunno.

I enjoy a drink myself and drink rather more now than I did in my teens or twenties or thirties . I drink responsibly and seldom get drunk. Red wine or real ale are my tipples. In my forties I sometimes drank to excess at motor-bike rallies and camping weekends so I'm no stranger to a lush-up.

I never felt like bringing it to the attention of others though...never thought about reckoning up the 'unit' score. It's a comparatively recent development I think.

I think you might have posted this thread merely to publicise your drinking, and that of your friend. If I'm wrong then then fair doos.

Alcohol is a poison...a dangerous drug which should be treated with respect. In thes eislands, at this time it is being used as a crutch for a deep, deep malaise. I do not discount myself from this aspect of drinking.

Armanisgirl I am so sorry about your brother...it must be shattering to lose a twin, especially at such a young age and in such a needless, avoidable manner. Your post brought a sobering (no pun) element to this thread....which is indeed a serious one.

joxville
24-May-08, 00:07
I've had my drunken moment's and luckily I was one of those that was a happy drunk-NEVER violent but I also learned at an early age, 20/21 maybe, that I couldn't really drink a lot and keep up with other's. As Percy said, alcohol is a drug, a drug that is VERY addictive and I saw that with my late Father-in-law who was an alcoholic. He was a respectable member of the community-a Police Inspector, but proof that alcoholism makes no distinction on who it takes. I miss him terribly.

My condolences to you and your family armanisgirl.

hotrod4
24-May-08, 07:49
I msu admit that my intake of units averages around 20 on a 1 night session, sometimes more.
I know thats too much but its just the way I am.
Its funny how a country like France who allow teenagers wine with every meal dont have the same problem with underage drinking.
I think its more to do with the mentality of "wee hey its Friday gonnae get masel blootered" that we have been brought up with.