PDA

View Full Version : Coconuts

Kevin Milkins
15-May-08, 23:06
I just bought 2 small to medium sized coconuts from Tesco for a pound.
I drilled 2 holes in one of them drunk the milk and ate a bit less than half of the coconut.
I am now feeling very full and satisfied and I would guess it was much better food for me than crisps and fridge snacks that I useully eat while watching the telly.
The point to this thread is why do most of us shun unprocesed food that is very cheap and eat loads of rubbish food which is much more costly?
Its not a trick question ,it was just a thought while I was enjoying my coconut.:confused

padfoot
15-May-08, 23:19
lol i tried eating coconut one time made me sick bt i do luv coconut milk not sure why they do probs coz its quicker lol

MadPict
15-May-08, 23:32
Don't throw the coconuts away if they still have flesh in them - hang them up for the birdies....

Plenty of food tastes delicious without the need to add anything to them - I love tomatoes off the vine with a drizzle of olive oil and some pepper. I have started to eat avocados a bit lately too. I bought a Basil plant which I have managed to keep alive and enjoy munching a few leaves with bread. Simple things with plenty of flavour and good for you...

Fantoosh
15-May-08, 23:36
Hey, I dont usually eat rubbish processed foods, but i have watched many programmes about people who do and i think its the 'nice warm, comforting feeling' as they put it, of carbohysrates and stodgy foods. Makes them feel good. Also i think if you are used to eating processed foods then a cocunut is no way going to sastisfy you. I sometimes feel that when i eat some fruit or a salad it makes me feel more empty, if that makes sense. Just need to make sure have a decent sized salad with enough protein and what not. Well thats my opinion anyway. Dont like coconut, but give me a bag of grapes any day :)

padfoot
15-May-08, 23:36
basil leaves and bread thats one i hav neva herd must try it bt dnt like avacado or tomatoes unfortunetly

Kevin Milkins
15-May-08, 23:42
Don't throw the coconuts away if they still have flesh in them - hang them up for the birdies....

Plenty of food tastes delicious without the need to add anything to them - I love tomatoes off the vine with a drizzle of olive oil and some pepper. I have started to eat avocados a bit lately too. I bought a Basil plant which I have managed to keep alive and enjoy munching a few leaves with bread. Simple things with plenty of flavour and good for you...

The half of coconut that I have left I put in a poly bag in the fridge but there is a lump with some flesh on so its birdies for that bit in the morning.
You have mentioned many tasy tasties to have a go at Madpict ,but it just got me thinking as to why we do not eat these items as a matter of daily diet. Is it because perhaps we do not see coconuts for example advertised on tv?

padfoot
15-May-08, 23:43
yeah probs is advertising

MadPict
15-May-08, 23:55
Might not be everyone's thing but thinly sliced white bread with butter and a couple of fresh Basil leaves....yummm. Also Basil is good for the digestion.

Kevin,
I seem to remember having the occasional coconut as a kid. Popularity? It's probably down the the amount of work involved getting at the contents!!! That and the milk is now available in a tin...

Kevin Milkins
16-May-08, 00:05
Might not be everyone's thing but thinly sliced white bread with butter and a couple of fresh Basil leaves....yummm. Also Basil is good for the digestion.

Kevin,
I seem to remember having the occasional coconut as a kid. Popularity? It's probably down the the amount of work involved getting at the contents!!! That and the milk is now available in a tin...

Its been a while since I have had one,and I remember as a kid it used to be a nuisense trying to crack it without loosing the milk. Tonight I got a small cordless and drilled a couple of holes very easy and tapped it all the way round untill it sounded like a dull thud and broke it without making a mess. It was the first thing wife said "if you make a mess with that thing, you can clean it up"

padfoot
16-May-08, 00:07
yeah i remember it bein really hard to get open and keepin the milk

Margaret M.
16-May-08, 00:33
I love tomatoes off the vine with a drizzle of olive oil and some pepper. I have started to eat avocados a bit lately too. I bought a Basil plant which I have managed to keep alive and enjoy munching a few leaves with bread. Simple things with plenty of flavour and good for you...

mmmmmmmm, I love a tomato and avocado sandwich. I don't plant a lot of veggies but tomatoes and basil are a must.