PDA

View Full Version : Tightening our belts?

Angela
15-May-08, 15:50
Quite recently I embarked on a calorie counting diet - to literally tighten my belt a notch or two :lol: It's had the knock- on effect of slimming down my food shopping bill a bit as well, despite the rising prices of staple foods.

I really don't know what to try to economise on next though. :confused

In view of the leaner times that seem to be upon us, have other people started belt tightening? What would you cut back on or cut out first?...and which little treats and luxuries would you be really loath to give up?

Kismet
15-May-08, 16:27
The internet can't go [lol]

But if in on my own and is cold will put another jumper on or sit under a quilt before putting the fire on lol And I walk everywhere I can save on buses and taxis.

Any good calorie counting tips then???? I have been walking myself to death and losing not a lot haha

badger
15-May-08, 16:40
Don't think I can cut down much more - no proper holidays, look for out of date bargains in supermarkets, shop in charity shops, keep my house at a temperature most wouldn't find acceptable. Have been cutting down on car journeys and sharing where possible but can't really get anywhere without it. Also can't manage without Internet - gotta have some fun :roll:

Angela
15-May-08, 16:57
Badger, you bring tears to my eyes! :eek: I'd say I too have a lemonade and definitely NOT a champagne lifestyle. My one and only seeming 'extravagance' is getting taxis -but for me they're an absolute necessity as I don't have a car and I can't walk all that far.

Kismet - I used a calorie counting website free for a week and discovered all the no-no's in my diet that just had to go. I joined up for a month after that and now I know much better how many cals I consume and expend so I can't really kid myself any more..... :roll:

Anne x
15-May-08, 16:59
Loathe to give up Broadband and my Sports Channels but if needs must well it would go I have already got rid of the Films and my Shiraz tipple Id hate that to go :lol:

At the end of 2006 I stopped buying Magazines even my Good Food Monthly went I was amazed I never missed them and saved money

This year I have planted Herbs in the garden as the prepacked Herbs from Supermarket were always to big and they got wasted

Kismet
15-May-08, 20:37
I also bought a dinner service from woollies, the dinner plates were enormous but so were the side plates so now I use the side plate as my dinner plate so I can have my plate full and eat less and I don't really notice am eating less if that makes sense [lol]

Kismet
15-May-08, 20:46
At the end of 2006 I stopped buying Magazines even my Good Food Monthly went I was amazed I never missed them and saved money

Am not sure i want to give up my mag as it is one of my few treats but I buy it every month and is only £3 I recently subscribed to it though and now for next six months I get it for a pound and after that still get it cheaper than in the shops and delivered to my door before the shops get it in. Also £40 free gift for subscribing though having said that have seen no sign of it so far. Was worth it because I do buy it every month

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

This guy is also brilliant he has helped a lot of people recover bank charges and has a lot of other tips too. He is free to subscribe to and send you e-mails

joxville
15-May-08, 22:12
Am not sure i want to give up my mag as it is one of my few treats but I buy it every month and is only £3 I recently subscribed to it though and now for next six months I get it for a pound and after that still get it cheaper than in the shops and delivered to my door before the shops get it in. Also £40 free gift for subscribing though having said that have seen no sign of it so far. Was worth it because I do buy it every month

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

This guy is also brilliant he has helped a lot of people recover bank charges and has a lot of other tips too. He is free to subscribe to and send you e-mails

Another one to try:

www.quidco.com (http://www.quidco.com)

A workmate put me on to it. I've not used it yet but he's earned £190 in the last 6 weeks.

sweetpea
15-May-08, 23:02
I've been doing the Carol Vorderman 28 day Detox for 21 days now. No dairy, meat, fish, wheat, processed, additives etc. I've lost 8 pounds, people tell me my skin is glowing and I have loads of energy:) I've even got into cooking as a result!

padfoot
15-May-08, 23:24
i hav been doin the patsy palmer ibiza dance video and beverly callard work out one which is help full i would not b able to give up meat as am addicted or internet bt would b able to give up crisps i think i could anyway lol