PDA

View Full Version : Anyone speak Gaelic?

cazmanian_minx
15-May-08, 14:23
We've just discovered, thanks to BT, that our new house actually has name - Tighchailein or possiblly Tigh Chailein.

OH thinks it means, roughly, 'Our House', but he's not certain. Anyone know?

We're probably not going to use it, because a) it's not the official Royal Mail address and b) neither of us speak Gaelic, so our pronunciation is likely to irritate anyone who does (though I'd like to learn), but it would be nice to know what it means.

(Removal men arrive 2 weeks today and I have a grand total of 10 boxes packed - help!)

DeHaviLand
15-May-08, 14:44
We've just discovered, thanks to BT, that our new house actually has name - Tighchailein or possiblly Tigh Chailein.

OH thinks it means, roughly, 'Our House', but he's not certain. Anyone know?

We're probably not going to use it, because a) it's not the official Royal Mail address and b) neither of us speak Gaelic, so our pronunciation is likely to irritate anyone who does (though I'd like to learn), but it would be nice to know what it means.

(Removal men arrive 2 weeks today and I have a grand total of 10 boxes packed - help!)

To make it 'official', all you have to do is tell the Post Office that is what your house is known as.

Andrew C
15-May-08, 14:54
Hi...

I reckon it means 'House of our Youth' or the 'House of Colin' - Colin means young warrior in Gaelic, I think!

It is pronounced 'tie chalien' (as in 'ch' in loch + alien)

Hope that helps...someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

AC

cazmanian_minx
15-May-08, 19:26
Thank you both :)