PDA

View Full Version : brown wheelie bins?

buggyracer
15-May-08, 14:08
where can you get another brown wheelie bin from? im struggling with the one bin the grass is growing so much :roll:

also any idea of price?

Kismet
15-May-08, 14:45
http://www.wheeliebinsrus.com/plastic2/brown240.htm

Julia
15-May-08, 14:47
I noticed they have wheelie bins for sale in Homebase, only grey ones though, smaller than the council uses and £30

poppett
15-May-08, 15:15
I phoned the Council Service point, was transferred to TEC services, explained the situation, ie too much grass, not enough bin and we were given a second brown bin at no extra charge, delivered to the door within a few days. This was last year, but I can`t imagine things have changed in that time.

buggyracer
15-May-08, 15:48
thanks poppet, done ;)

balto
15-May-08, 18:19
hey if only it was so easy to get a black bin

veekay
15-May-08, 19:18
Have a couple of questions and hope someone out there will give me an answer to them. My black bin has been thown around so much by binmen ( or do we have to call then bin people now only that would bring to mind black bins with arms and perhaps little feet stickng out of the bottom of the bin oh and a smiley face and a small twirly 'tash) sorry I wander. My bin and being thrown around. It is now broken the lid has parted company with the bin. Can I get a new one or do I have to buy one or what. Tried phoning council it is always busy. |Now these brown bins and other multi coloured recycling bins. Can anyone tell me why they are being given to those who live in Thurso Castletown Wick(?) and not to those of us who live in the country. Surely if the powers that think they are, want to be green giving the recycling bins to those who live very close to the large skips is a little strange when it doesn't take those people long to get to the skips those of us living in the country ahve to drive miles to get to a recycling skip undoing all the green that recycling old bottles paper etc. does. I bet its money isn't it?!!

George Brims
15-May-08, 20:44
If you live in the country you surely have space for a compost heap? Then you won't need the brown bin and you can fertilize your garden.

silverfox57
15-May-08, 21:23
If you live in the country you surely have space for a compost heap? Then you won't need the brown bin and you can fertilize your garden.
as we in the country have to pay the same poll tax as poll tax payers in towns,think we should at least have two bins.:~(

Bobinovich
15-May-08, 23:02
Now these brown bins and other multi coloured recycling bins. Can anyone tell me why they are being given to those who live in Thurso Castletown Wick(?) and not to those of us who live in the country. Surely if the powers that think they are, want to be green giving the recycling bins to those who live very close to the large skips is a little strange when it doesn't take those people long to get to the skips those of us living in the country ahve to drive miles to get to a recycling skip undoing all the green that recycling old bottles paper etc. does. I bet its money isn't it?!!

According to this post (http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=382120&postcount=4) you may only have to wait until August!

sweetpea
15-May-08, 23:07
I live in the country and have 2 brown bins, what gets me is the paper bucket thing with the lid. I haven't got room for a compost heap just now because I'm taking down trees and putting up a shed.

veekay
17-May-08, 18:03
According to this post (http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=382120&postcount=4) you may only have to wait until August!

Thanks Bobin. And in answer to the composting question posted, I do but there is still loads of other recyclable stuff I have to cart miles to find a place to put it, and then they are usually stuffed full so I take it all backhome again. How good am I !!

Bill Fernie
18-May-08, 08:44
The question of additional wheelie bins is always going to be a problem. If too many people want additional ones then the cost will clearly rise and will help increase the council tax. Also the Highland council is firmly committed to reducing its carbon footprint both on ecological grounds and on cost grounds. Reducing the carbon footprint often means reducing the amount of fuel used. In the case of waste that means not transporting unnecessary loads. Composting at home is a major benefit and the reason why the council is pushing the use of home composting bins. The resultant compost is free and great for the garden and any veg or flowers you grow. Fuel bills have risen dramatically for everyone in the past couple of years and continue to rise in the face of rising oil prices. Anyone looking at their budget whether a family, business or a council will have seen the huge rise and Highland council with is fleet of vehicles has seen dramatic rises. Reducing the miles driven by any vehicle help. If the vehicles collecting materials that could be composted like grass cuttings have to make more trips then costs will go up. Anyone who can compost is being encouraged to do so - otherwise all of our council tax will rise and we will not be able to reduce the carbon used in transportation adding to the pollution of the atmosphere.

On the plastics front the Highland Council is to try test plastics collection at various places in Highland shortly. We know this is problem but again cost may come into the equation. Part of the calculation is the reduction in tonnage going to landfill as the landfill tax is still increasing and will continue to rise for the foreseeable future - see http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/waste/strategy/factsheets/landfilltax.htm

The Highland Council's Independent/SNP Programme for Administration http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/9FEF0623-40BE-4109-A2AB-2F46EE263577/0/administrationprogramme.pdf under the clean environment section says "We will reduce the Council’s carbon emissions by 15% by 2010"

There are sound reasons both for the environment, efficiency and even purely cost grounds to deal with the situation and individuals collectively can play a huge part in this. The council cannot do it all on its own. Great strides have been made in Highland in the past four years or so to reduce the waste going to landfill and hopefully we can do much more. The Highland council's Climate Change Working Group has an ambitious set of targets and hopefully this combined with more investment in an array of improvements in how we deal with waste will keep moving us away from near the bottom of the table as we were a few years ago to nearer the top in Scotland. a summary of the strategy for Climate change can be found here http://highlandlife.net/news__1/highland_council_news/climate_change_strategy

Whilst is may be personally beneficial to obtain additional wheelie bins and the council may supply them it would be great if anyone thought a lot about dealing with waste - particularly compostable material at home. Grass is certainly a problem and the brown bins do deal with it. I have one brown bin and like many others it cannot deal with all of my grass cuttings. However I also have several composting bins and they deal with quite a lot of my cuttings that I try to mix with other vegetable and food waste alternately. I also now add more paper such as brown envelopes (not the plastic window bit) as they are not suitable for the paper collection. I add toilet roll tubes and other similar material to my compost bins. We have gradually increased the types of material we add to the compost as we have found out that you can get rid of it at home. We have reduced the amount in the main bin very significantly since the recycling centres came to the county. We always took our bottles to the bottle banks but now any time I am going near a recycling centre I try to take the materials saved in the garage.

On plastics I have known for some time that the council was to move towards testing collection and we have been saving our plastic bottles in black bins after crushing them as far as we could by hand and with a small hand pushed machine my wife acquired. They are piling up in the garage and hopefully soon I will deliver them all to the recycling centre at Wick - one of the test places. I saw yesterday an example of a fence post made from waste plastic. Apparently the cost is about four times a wooden one but the benefit is that it might last almost forever with no need for preservative. So we may yet find a use for this material. It is difficult to deal with as there are so many different types and they cannot easily be mixed to produce a new material. Sorting is expensive but this may yet be overcome.

By all means get another brown wheelie bin if you really need one but think about not just the tidy garden but the cost to the council tax payer directly and the carbon strategy that is also designed to save carting materials around unnecessarily as well as reducing the gases we are adding to the atmosphere we all need to live. If we all reduce a little it will add up to a lot.

On 1tth April 2008 the Highland Council TEC services committee set out its latest position on waste reduction http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/9C9284A6-E60A-499D-B5FB-9FCCAAF7C385/0/Item6TEC2108.pdf

Apologies for the long posting but this is a subject we must get to grips with and whether your point of view is purely saving money for yourself and others by keeping costs down or saving the planet it is a topic that will be with us all as long as we live.

balto
18-May-08, 11:43
if the council want us all to do our bit then surely they could supply more bins/boxes say for glass, also they should give everyone one of those cones that you can put all your left over food/veg peelings in so we can all recycle it and help mother nature at the same time, it is ok for folk with cars that can get to the recycling plant but what about us people that dont have cars, after all we all pay council tax dont we...

veekay
18-May-08, 16:32
Thanks for the poat Bill it is just as I said money.. It still doesn't tell me why houses in Thurso etc with nearby skips get al the recycling bins and those of us in the country have to travel miles to get to skips increasing our carbon footprint, costing us money only ot find that the skips haven't been emptied and we have to take everything back home and probably bin it which is what we could and probably should have done in the first place.

Oh yes and how do I get a new black bin?

magtomich
20-May-08, 19:36
It appears from previous posts that if I live in Thurso then brown bins for grass cuttings are supplied by the Council. Living in Reay I am informed that the Council has decreed that no such bins will be supplied and grass cuttings have to be composted or taken to the recycling centre approx 10 miles away.
As far as I am aware I pay the same Council Tax as a resident of Thurso so will the Council then pay me to have the grass transported to Janetstown or will they reduce my Council Tax accordingly ??????????.
In my limited gardening experience grass cuttings do not compost particularly well - will the Council supply the necessary chemical additives to make this process viable ?
It appears to me that the Highland Council & the political parasites who masquerade as 'representatives of the people' have forgotten that they are paid to serve Joe Public and they expect us to continually pay more for a reduced service under the guise of saving the planet. [disgust]

silverfox57
20-May-08, 19:50
It appears from previous posts that if I live in Thurso then brown bins for grass cuttings are supplied by the Council. Living in Reay I am informed that the Council has decreed that no such bins will be supplied and grass cuttings have to be composted or taken to the recycling centre approx 10 miles away.
As far as I am aware I pay the same Council Tax as a resident of Thurso so will the Council then pay me to have the grass transported to Janetstown or will they reduce my Council Tax accordingly ??????????.
In my limited gardening experience grass cuttings do not compost particularly well - will the Council supply the necessary chemical additives to make this process viable ?
It appears to me that the Highland Council & the political parasites who masquerade as 'representatives of the people' have forgotten that they are paid to serve Joe Public and they expect us to continually pay more for a reduced service under the guise of saving the planet. [disgust]
total agree with you as am in the same boat, have one black bin as told by council would got brown bin in phase 2?????:confused

linkside
03-Jun-08, 22:28
I was wondering if a garden skip could be placed next to the paper/can/bottle banks in Reay? Does anyone have thoughts regarding this?
Of course there other small villages around that would also benefit with a skip in their area.
The real question is "would the council do this!!!"

theone
03-Jun-08, 22:35
I have an unused brown wheely bin available for pickup to anyone who wants it in Thurso.

I have no grass or plants, and any weeds on my driveway just get weedoled!

PM me!

thebigman
04-Jun-08, 14:03
Thanks for the poat Bill it is just as I said money.. It still doesn't tell me why houses in Thurso etc with nearby skips get al the recycling bins and those of us in the country have to travel miles to get to skips increasing our carbon footprint, costing us money only ot find that the skips haven't been emptied and we have to take everything back home and probably bin it which is what we could and probably should have done in the first place.

Oh yes and how do I get a new black bin?

Suspect that the collection costs will be the reason that you don't have a brown bin in the country.

For new bin call 01955 607737.