PDA

View Full Version : School team in Sunday finals row

mccaugm
15-May-08, 13:49
A girls football team from Back in the Western Isles is being denied the chance of competing in the finals because of their PARENTS reliegious beliefs. I do not decry people their right to practise their faiths whatever they may be but to deny the girls their chance at glory, is just cruel. The girls must have worked very hard to get this far and I feel their parents are just being awkward in not allowing them to compete. I hope they change their mind and allow the girls to give it all they have got.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7402234.stm

badger
15-May-08, 15:07
Believe it or not, there are still people for whom their religious beliefs are all important and this should be respected. The fault, as suggested in the news item, lies with the organisers for not being aware that this would cause a problem. You are assuming the blame lies with the parents but how do you know the children involved do not feel as strongly if this is how they have been brought up? All children are influenced by their parents' belief or lack of it until they are old enough to decide for themselves. They should not have been put in this position of having to choose.

mccaugm
15-May-08, 15:44
Believe it or not, there are still people for whom their religious beliefs are all important and this should be respected. The fault, as suggested in the news item, lies with the organisers for not being aware that this would cause a problem. You are assuming the blame lies with the parents but how do you know the children involved do not feel as strongly if this is how they have been brought up? All children are influenced by their parents' belief or lack of it until they are old enough to decide for themselves. They should not have been put in this position of having to choose.

I stated that I do not have issue with the parents beliefs but feel that not letting the children play their game is a bit unfair on the children. Re the day of the game, Sundays are a day when people are generally available to go places. It may be a day of rest but that does not mean a day of no fun.