PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Burns - R.I.P.

Metalattakk
15-May-08, 12:21
Ok, let's try again, shall we?

Today, Scottish football has lost one of its sons.

Tommy Burns was indeed a Celtic legend, and by all accounts a thoroughly decent, honest and caring family man.

As a footballer, he always appeared to be in control, never flustered and certainly never out of breath. A calming influence with a precision of passing which is all too rare in the modern Scottish game. As a manager, he instilled an attacking style of football, eschewing defensive security in favour of passion and style.

It is said that the measure of the man can be reckoned by his actions, and certainly Tommy Burns measures up well.

His passing is a sad loss for the Scottish game, but more importantly, a sad loss for his family. :(

Rest in peace, Tommy.

TBH
15-May-08, 12:23
I was saddened to hear about the death of former Celtic player, Tommy Burns at the age of just 51.
I have had the privilege of seeing this man play at the peak of his powers, a pleasure to watch and one of the greatest players of his generation.
RIP Tommy, It's a terrible loss for Scottish football and genuine fans.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
Please keep any sectarian comments and suchlike to yourselves, they are not welcome on this thread!
Could moderators please just remove any offending posts and not the whole thread as I and many others would just like talk about the man and his loss to Scottish football, nothing else.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

speedo215
15-May-08, 12:27
RIP

tommy burns

one of the greats of scottish football

The Pepsi Challenge
15-May-08, 12:28

Tommy Burns was indeed a Celtic legend, and by all accounts a thoroughly decent, honest and caring family man.

As a footballer, he always appeared to be in control, never flustered and certainly never out of breath. A calming influence with a precision of passing which is all too rare in the modern Scottish game. As a manager, he instilled an attacking style of football, eschewing defensive security in favour of passion and style.

It is said that the measure of the man can be reckoned by his actions, and certainly Tommy Burns measures up well.

His passing is a sad loss for the Scottish game, but more importantly, a sad loss for his family. :(

Rest in peace, Tommy.

I wholeheartedly concur.

In all honesty, I found Tommy to be a modest, caring man who always thought of others above himself. As a footballer, he indeed had a great left peg, and I can always remember one great newspaper headline that read: Tommy Twists, Tommy Turns, Tommy Burns.

Metalattakk, I think some of Burns' skill rubbed off on you, for I always felt you were one of the most genuinely skilful footballers I've ever seen in Caithness, and I genuinely mean that.

Tommy crossed the divide, too, and was highly respected by Rangers' fans and its players. In particular Barry Ferguson, who said:

"We were in the Scotland camp and Tommy knew that I hadn't been enjoying the best of seasons because of Rangers' results and the injury problems I'd been having with my ankle," Ferguson said.

"Tommy came to me and said, 'You're a good player - too good a player not to get through this spell'. You have to appreciate that kind of human touch."

RIP Tommy, You'll Never Walk Alone.

rob murray
15-May-08, 12:30
Tommy Burns was respected throughout the football world, as a player, manager, coach and above all, as a man of dignity, first and foremost. His loss will be deeply felt.

Gogglebox
15-May-08, 12:30
Sad news
A great servant to Celtic, Scotland and Scottish football in general
Above all a very decent person with outstanding personal integrity

bonami
15-May-08, 12:46
A very fine footballer and a very nice man who didnt get involved with some of the unsavoury sides of football today.He will be missed at Celtic and in the Scottish game.

hotrod4
15-May-08, 12:50
Thoughts out to Tommy's family.
It brings into perspective the divide in Glasgows football as I am sure loads of Govans finest would agree with me in Sending our respects to a football legends family who by all accounts was a decent guy with a big heart.

Hibeechick
15-May-08, 12:57
RIP Tommy Burns

Will be missed in the footballing world.

DeHaviLand
15-May-08, 15:56
My condolences too, to his family, his friends, and the world of football.

scorrie
15-May-08, 16:13
Celtic were a good team to watch under Tommy Burns but the "hoof it up the field" physical style under Martin O' Neill brought more success whilst being way less entertaining. Such is football. Tommy was a man filled with passion, in a game that is often mercenary in the modern era. A true great and an inspiration. Poor Tommy may be gone but his name and the memories will live on.

loganbiffy
15-May-08, 16:25
R.I.P. Tommy, you will be sadly missed.

A great man, and a great coach.
Puts things into perspective and shows what a disgrace some people can be to our Country.

I myself am a Rangers fan and the 200 or so fans who let us down last night in Manchester really get to me.

Tommy was a great character and he did break the Glasgow divide, Rangers fans liked him and this is the way it should be.

I'm sick of all the Bigotry in this Country!

R.I.P.

Venture
15-May-08, 16:30
The world of football has lost another true legend. Tommy Burns was in a class of his own on and off the field. He will be sorely missed.

teddybear1873
15-May-08, 17:06
I was shocked when i heard he died.

Great man who will be missed in the footballing world.

R.I.P

jings00
15-May-08, 17:08
RIP Tommy Burns

BazzaG
15-May-08, 17:14
R.I.P Tommy u were are true gentleman and an ambassador for scottish football
My Thoughts and prayers to everyone close to him

superted
15-May-08, 20:43
RIP Tommy, you were a great servant to Scottish football

webmannie
15-May-08, 21:18
Great man, great loss, RIP Tommy Burns. A Scottish Legend.

Metalattakk, I think some of Burns' skill rubbed off on you, for I always felt you were one of the most genuinely skilful footballers I've ever seen in Caithness, and I genuinely mean that.

Dinna massage thon ego any further, I`ll no hear the end of it tomorrow at work and in the Comm after a few pints!

Metalattakk
16-May-08, 11:13
It's been good to see the tributes paid by football fans of all persuasions these past couple of days. Just a shame it takes a tragedy like this to bring everyone together. :(

Gosh, doesn't the passage of time do strange things with memories? Back in those days, I played in short bursts. Now I only play in burst shorts. :D

Dinna massage thon ego any further, I`ll no hear the end of it tomorrow at work and in the Comm after a few pints!

You better believe it, 'mannie!

lagertops
16-May-08, 12:03
Tommy twists Tommy turns! There was only one Tommy Burns.

R.I.P

The Angel Of Death
16-May-08, 16:23
From a fellow bluenose i was equally shocked at the news

R.I.P Tommy Burns

anneoctober
16-May-08, 19:37

Rest in peace, Tommy.
We agree on this, at least MA. Can't say that I've ever heard a word against Tommy in all his footballing career. Huge loss to his family and Scottish football. :(

scorrie
16-May-08, 19:39
Program about Tommy on STV tonight at 10.30