PDA

View Full Version : Brain Training

ciderally
15-May-08, 12:20
thinking im needing to buy one of those gadgets....grey matter getting thicker as time goes on:roll: ....if i dont write it down...sat and wrote out a list yesterday on what i had to get and do in town...went and left it on the counter.....anyone tried those brain trainers? or is it a lost cause:confused

Torvaig
15-May-08, 12:24
What's a brain? :eek:

ciderally
15-May-08, 12:28
What's a brain? :eek:
oh thanks for the laugh ...i needed that

Torvaig
15-May-08, 12:42
Seriously, let me know how you get on as I have considered getting one of those to see if they help with the old, ehmm...you know what I mean...ehmm grey matter that is....I think. I would ask for one for my birthday but I think that is past.....:confused for this year anyway! ;)

TBH
15-May-08, 12:45
Seriously, let me know how you get on as I have considered getting one of those to see if they help with the old, ehmm...you know what I mean...ehmm grey matter that is....I think. I would ask for one for my birthday but I think that is past.....:confused for this year anyway! ;)Try buying a newspaper and doing the crossword and other puzzles they provide. It will keep your brain sharp and is a lot cheaper than a wii.

EDDIE
15-May-08, 12:55
thinking im needing to buy one of those gadgets....grey matter getting thicker as time goes on:roll: ....if i dont write it down...sat and wrote out a list yesterday on what i had to get and do in town...went and left it on the counter.....anyone tried those brain trainers? or is it a lost cause:confused

I no how u feel im bad for walking out the house questioning if i have switched all the plugs of i have to go back and check i do this regular.

From what i gather a lot people that have the nintendo ds love it and if u fancy it go and get if u ask people on forums u will end up with negative comments and you will hesitate more in whether to buy or not.

TBH
15-May-08, 13:05
I no how u feel im bad for walking out the house questioning if i have switched all the plugs of i have to go back and check i do this regular.

From what i gather a lot people that have the nintendo ds love it and if u fancy it go and get if u ask people on forums u will end up with negative comments and you will hesitate more in whether to buy or not.I have no doubt that the wii is a valuable aid in keeping the old grey matter in fine fettle but I feel that completing a newspaper crossword or even some puzzle books would work out a lot cheaper and with the same results.

the_count
15-May-08, 14:14
i dunno what you want to go out and bye stuff when its on the computer for free lol try this if you wanna give your brain a workout its free and is probably as good as anything you can buy lol :lol: http://www.miniclip.com/games/en/brain-training.php

Kismet
15-May-08, 14:27
I used to use brain training for the DS and enjoyed it it did not take me long per day and with regular use it certainly did work. I was borrowing someone elses and will be buying my own DS and buying "brain training" and "more brain training" as soon as I can afford one lol

Kismet
15-May-08, 14:32
i dunno what you want to go out and bye stuff when its on the computer for free lol try this if you wanna give your brain a workout its free and is probably as good as anything you can buy lol :lol: http://www.miniclip.com/games/en/brain-training.php

In the meantime thanks for this page just had a look and looks great. Will still buy brain training though :)

Kevin Milkins
15-May-08, 15:17
I used to use brain training for the DS and enjoyed it it did not take me long per day and with regular use it certainly did work. I was borrowing someone elses and will be buying my own DS and buying "brain training" and "more brain training" as soon as I can afford one lol.

I borrowed one of someone as well ,but cant remember who:confused

Thumper
15-May-08, 15:54
I use my sons brain training on the DS and I have found a good improvement!It takes minutes everyday and really is helpful x

Torvaig
15-May-08, 17:22
I hate to ask but what is a DS? And that is a genuine question.....:)

I'm not sure if these game thingies will help; ok you get better at doing puzzles but does it really help you in everyday life?

I think you have to have a certain way of thinking to do some of these things like anagrams. My late mother-in-law was a wizard at crosswords, anagrams and such like and she tried to explain to me how they worked but even when she gave me the answer it was still a case of "I don't get it".

Single words where you have to unscramble the letters are ok but it is when there is a nonsense sentence which is supposed to mean something when you dissect it that I lose the plot! And I don't see how that will help me in everyday life where I have to remember things in the real world.

I have a brain, it's just it works in a funny way.....:roll:

ciderally
15-May-08, 17:31

thanks for this....im going to give it a go:confused

Angela
15-May-08, 17:35
I buy a daily paper and do most of the puzzles in it - crossword, codebreaker, wordfinder, sudoku...

I have got much better and a good deal speedier at doing them, but I wonder if all that means is that with practice I've got better at doing puzzles.... :confused

If you see what I mean....!!

My short term memory is quite dreadful and I do rely very heavily on lists and reminders. Though folk kindly tell me I don't really ramble, I know I do wander off in a stream of consciousness sort of way that reminds me a lot of my mother...

I've just recently started a short OU course on 'Writing Family History' and all I can say is that I really do wish that I hadn't signed up for it....it almost certainly requires a brain... :eek:

Kismet
15-May-08, 17:46
I hate to ask but what is a DS? And that is a genuine question.....:)

I'm not sure if these game thingies will help; ok you get better at doing puzzles but does it really help you in everyday life?

I think you have to have a certain way of thinking to do some of these things like anagrams. My late mother-in-law was a wizard at crosswords, anagrams and such like and she tried to explain to me how they worked but even when she gave me the answer it was still a case of "I don't get it".

Single words where you have to unscramble the letters are ok but it is when there is a nonsense sentence which is supposed to mean something when you dissect it that I lose the plot! And I don't see how that will help me in everyday life where I have to remember things in the real world.

I have a brain, it's just it works in a funny way.....:roll:

A DS is a small handheld version of the consoles. I had a problem with my concentration etc due to illness and the "brain training" Was like remembering things, reading out loud, maths, observation etc etc and it marked a graph for you so you could actually see your improvements. I felt it helped it was not crosswords and anagrams more making you use the different parts of the brain. I am probably not explaining this very well hahahaha [lol]

http://www.joolopgames.com/category-95/dr-kawashimas-brain-training-how-old-is-your-brain.html?gclid=CK63_rX6qJMCFQJFMAodc3UInw

I was a bit miffed to start as it tells you how old your brain is after a test and I was in my eighties, not impressed but ended up with an age younger than mine after a while hahaha

Torvaig
15-May-08, 17:58
Thanks for that and you explained it very well! I shall try your link later tonight. If I do well you will hear from me, if not.....:lol:

Kismet
15-May-08, 18:26
Soz link is just to a site selling the game it explains a bit about the game lol

domino
15-May-08, 19:18
I do the same crosswords etc. every day and I do believe that you can improve with practice. I think you start to get into the compilers mind and see how it works. Give it a try

joxville
15-May-08, 19:49
I bought 2 books back in '91 from Bews when I first moved to Thurso. One is called Improve Your Memory, the second Learn To Speed Read. 17 years later I still haven't tried them.:D

padfoot
15-May-08, 22:49
the brain traing for ds is brill helped me alot my mum used it too she needed it hahaha

Kismet
16-May-08, 19:44
I think I have an improve your memory book somewhere I also never got round to reading it [lol]

I have just ordered brain training and know I will use it it is rather addictive. :D

Kismet
19-May-08, 16:13
Brain training arrived and my brain is 48 so not as bad as first time I played it when I was told it was in the eighties :D

ciderally
19-May-08, 17:10
Brain training arrived and my brain is 48 so not as bad as first time I played it when I was told it was in the eighties :D
let us know how you get on with that gismo....might invest in one myself:roll:

padfoot
19-May-08, 17:21
haha yeah mine is a bit worse than that but i have used it before and it really help's i was at about 60 when i first started using it got to about 24 just using it for about a week and a half so well worth it

Torvaig
19-May-08, 18:59
But has it improved your brain in everyday life such a remembering where you now live when you wake up in the morning, what day it is etc., etd?

Kismet
19-May-08, 21:15
But has it improved your brain in everyday life such a remembering where you now live when you wake up in the morning, what day it is etc., etd?

[lol] My memory was impaired and my concentration through illness I can vouch for it working in that my memory improved and am glad i now have the game again and is mine so will be able to continously use it. With that and my pills I look forward to my brain working slightly better :D As sometimes I could wander about the house all day wondering what it was I was doing :lol:

Torvaig
19-May-08, 22:55
My memory was impaired and my concentration through illness I can vouch for it working in that my memory improved and am glad i now have the game again and is mine so will be able to continously use it. With that and my pills I look forward to my brain working slightly better :D As sometimes I could wander about the house all day wondering what it was I was doing :lol:

Thanks for that; good to know it really works and that there is hope for me yet! :lol:

scorrie
20-May-08, 19:40
I bought 2 books back in '91 from Bews when I first moved to Thurso. One is called Improve Your Memory, the second Learn To Speed Read. 17 years later I still haven't tried them.:D

I suppose the second book is useful if you can't master the first book ;)