PDA

View Full Version : missing fisherman

Fran
23-Nov-05, 00:35
coastguards and the rescue helicopter from lossiemouth are at the present time searching for a fisherman along the beach off the castle of mey. the creel boat was found by the lifeboat but the skipper is missing. He was the only one on board. The air rescue has reported what looks like a seal on the beach and are presently investigating this. hope they find the man alive and safe.

William
23-Nov-05, 00:42
Where did you get this information from?

cos my mum saw a distress flare at about 8.50pm tonight aprox in that direction.

CHUCKY
23-Nov-05, 00:49
This was not a distress flare, it was one of many paraflares put off by the Thurso Lifeboat. These are used to light up the sky for light.

William
23-Nov-05, 00:52
This was not a distress flare, it was one of many paraflares put off by the Thurso Lifeboat. These are used to light up the sky for light.
Oh i see well she and i have never seem one of them before, but we were not far of really :)

Thanks for the info though

codex
23-Nov-05, 00:53
Yea i saw a distress flare also ..round about 21:10 hrs in the dunnet area ..Im hearing lots of coverage between 156.0000 mhz and 157.0000mhz using 5khz steps....

i hope these fisherman return home safely

codex
23-Nov-05, 00:55

you are soo damn wrong chuckie
The Search and rescue helicopter fae lossie hasnt been called out for nothing at the moment they were or are refueling in wick

Fran
23-Nov-05, 01:01
Technotrance, i think you are wrong. thurso lifeboat was out too and they do have special flares to put around the sight for light for all rescuers to see the area in the search for the missing skipper.both lifeboats, coastguards and the rescue plane are all searching.

CHUCKY
23-Nov-05, 01:07
you are soo damn wrong chuckie
The Search and rescue helicopter fae lossie hasnt been called out for nothing at the moment they were or are refueling in wick

The paraflares were used to light up the sky in the search.
see
http://www.rnli.org.uk/scotland.asp

Thurso launched at 20.08
Longhope launched at 20.38

Violetsky
23-Nov-05, 01:10
there have been 3 boats and a helicopter looking for the unfortunate person who has been lost tonight - there was a flare put up at approx 23:00 when there were no boats or helicopter in the vicinity - does it really matter who or what put up the flare - surely the main thing is that the fisherman is found

CHUCKY
23-Nov-05, 01:17
It does matter who puts the flare up because if you do not think it was not one of the rescue services, then it is someone in need of urgent help and would urge you to contact Aberdeen coastguard immediatley.
I would of thought it would be a paraflare as I seen some around then myself.

SandTiger
23-Nov-05, 01:48
Flares first spotted at around 21:00 (both pra and daylight) and HMCG land vehicles were driving towards the Dunnett area at the same time with blues flashing - Apparently the heli search has been stood down for refuelling as has the rest of the search. A vessel has been found - Again I'm using the word apparently.

:(

William
23-Nov-05, 10:27
Any more information on the fisherman? has he been found ok?

stekar
23-Nov-05, 12:01
There were helicopters searching until very late last night, saw the bright flare lights in the sky but didn't know what they were at the time.

Just seen the coastguards head down to Scarskerry way about 10.50am, so looks like they are still searching.

SandTiger
23-Nov-05, 12:47
The lifeboat is still out as of 10 mins ago.

Geoff
23-Nov-05, 13:08
He is still missing,we have just give a statement to the police,as there doing house to house ...we saw him at sea yest morning.

Tugmistress
23-Nov-05, 13:13
the lifeboat went back out at about 7.15am today to resume the search.

grampian got nothing on their site about it but the bbc news have http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4229154.stm

My thoughts go out to the mans family. :(

William
23-Nov-05, 14:35
there was information on the grampian news just now at lunch time.

thery were saying if he is on the water he could be anywhere with the strong tide in the pentland firth, the poor guy :(

willowbankbear
23-Nov-05, 14:49
I used to be a fisherman & this is always a bad time of year for these tragedies to happen, basically youve got 5minutes to get oot the water or else. My heart goes oot to him & his family

William
23-Nov-05, 14:52
Yeah that water is cold enough in the summer, can't imagine how cold it is just now.

lets just hope he is on land keeping warm till he is found.

codex
23-Nov-05, 15:27
Technotrance, i think you are wrong. thurso lifeboat was out too and they do have special flares to put around the sight for light for all rescuers to see the area in the search for the missing skipper.both lifeboats, coastguards and the rescue plane are all searching.

Im not talking about paraflares or distress flares i couldnt tell the difference between the two lol ....but i think i misunderstood chucky...an i know the Lifeboat's were out on call too fran. even before they were due to be launched... i wasnt disputing this but, the plane was actually a helicopta fae lossie

Tugmistress
23-Nov-05, 15:32
Im not talking about paraflares or distress flares i couldnt tell the difference between the two lol ....but i think i misunderstood chucky...an i know the Lifeboat's were out on call too fran. even before they were due to be launched... i wasnt disputing this but, the plane was actually a helicopta fae lossie

there was a small search plane too as my friend was out there.