PDA

View Full Version : Race For Life - A Wee Moan

the nomad
14-May-08, 08:36
Firstly I am not moaning about all the tremendous fund raising everyone does for this, or the time and effort they apply, it's a great event and well done to you all.

However and I know I am going to get flak for this:

I noticed at the Inverness event there were a lot of same old faces from athletics and running clubs in Caithness, there were a few that were jostling to get a pole position at the front of the pack also, so that they could get over the line first and claim to be the winner.

It may say race but that's not what the event is about, the real winners are those that have beaten cancer, and are running, or have the courage to complete this run for somebody they have lost, in aid of charity. It's not another winners medal event.

Don't get me wrong there were many from Caithness there, only interested in raising money, having a good day and achieving a huge goal by completing, well done to those.

Again to those minority stop using thes events as a forum to massage your egos.

candyfloss
14-May-08, 08:59
I just want to say well said nomad :D

Kismet
14-May-08, 09:34
I would presume it would be hard for a competitive runner to walk or run slow just so as not to look like they have a huge ego lol After all that is how they are used to running, competitavely, so they only doing what comes naturally and are raising money just like the joggers and the walkers surely. :roll:

stixie
14-May-08, 09:57
Managed to raise lots of pennies for this! :)

Kismet
14-May-08, 10:14
Hmmm, well done to everyone who took part, my point was simply that just cos someone loves to run competatively does no mean that they were not there for the same reasons as everyone else, to raise money for a good cause and raise awareness. Is a shame they are looked down on simply for combining the day with a passion of theirs :eek:

hope a lot of money was raised and am sure a lot of people were given a boost from being apart of this event

the nomad
14-May-08, 14:31
To risk being rather petty, I was not convinced that all were actually running for the right reasons, or had even bothered to raise any money, although this was certainly a very small minority. Most had the name of a loved one on the back of their t-shirts but some of the more competitive ones didn't....hmmmmm!!!! Draw your own conclusions.

Anyway a great deal of cash was raised and to all the kids, young ladies, woman, mothers, grannies, sisters, great grannies, aunties etc. VERY WELL DONE!!!!! :):):)

horseman
14-May-08, 14:48
Don't know who you are nomad- but you have some front for putting up a post like that:cool:

starry
14-May-08, 17:36
I have done the race for life many times and never had anyones name on my back, not because I was seriously running but because I find it a really emotional experience and it is one day I don't need to be reminded who I am there for.

Kismet
14-May-08, 18:24
So you have to have a name on your back and run slower or walk to be in it for the right reasons hmmmmmmmmm?????

simpsoney
14-May-08, 19:45
Sorry but does it really matter if they are boosting their egos or not? The whole point of it is to raise money for a good cause.

starry
14-May-08, 22:00
Apologies but this has been niggling at me all day.

I run it, and if I get a good time I am pleased. I really don't see how that makes my contribution any less than anyone elses.

I have battled cancer, I have lost many members of my family to cancer and I really don't see how I can be taking it less seriously or affecting anyone else's enjoyment of the event or any events like it or be judged because I chose to run it or not wear a name on my back.

I run it because I can, because I am alive and fit enough. My first race for life took me hours, my time has gone down as my health has improved.
I am there not because I want to boost my ego but because I can be there.
Running or walking surely we are all there for the same reasons ?

At Lassagie
15-May-08, 13:39
Well said Starry - I dont run, walk or even crawl the Race for Life - I volunteer (year after year) to turn up at the venue at 6am, help set up the field, tents, road markings and bollards; hand out the medals, goody bags and water; remove the rubbish at the end of the day and encourage people to post messages on the 'wall of reflection'. This years event had 3117 women and girls taking part - raised over 214 thousand pounds and was a resounding success - each and every one of you who took part should be proud of yourselves and your sisters! WELL DONE

TBH
15-May-08, 14:02
Who cares if people were trying to get over the line first. What really matters is that money was raised for charity by those that have had cancer, those that have lost family members through cancer and those that just wished to contribute to the good cause.
These people are the real winners, let's not lose site of that fact.

Kismet
15-May-08, 14:09
Who cares if people were trying to get over the line first. What really matters is that money was raised for charity by those that have had cancer, those that have lost family members through cancer and those that just wished to contribute to the good cause.
These people are the real winners, let's not lose site of that fact.

Well said :Razz

balto
15-May-08, 18:24
this post seems pointless, as who cares who comes 1st or last, should it not be the money that all these people raise, to help try and find a cure for cancer. and another point i am surprised that no-one has arranged a race for life for caithness, as a lot of people go down to inverness.

RelayForLife
15-May-08, 21:00
There may not be a Race for Life but there will be a Relay For Life Caithness this year. It's also in aid of Cancer Research UK.

Have a look at my post about it and join in.