PDA

View Full Version : superstitious

ciderally
13-May-08, 21:34
are you....is there something you do daily to keep away the bad omens?
coming from a fishing town...well fishermen are known to be very superstitious.....

Anne x
13-May-08, 21:50
Not on a daily basis that I am aware of
but wouldnt walk under a ladder that kind of thing I am terrible
all passed down by my Mother and Grandmother and all the little sayings that went with it and the worst part I Now say them !!!

Kevin Milkins
13-May-08, 21:57
Dont like passing on the stairs, and never put shoes on the table.
Cos me mam said.

Anne x
13-May-08, 22:01
Dont like passing on the stairs, and never put shoes on the table.
Cos me mam said.

New Shoes !!

If a Bird Flies into the Window a death in the House that one used to scare me to death !!

and some other ditty about a fisherman been taken out the window of his house when he died feet first ( No Idea )

TBH
13-May-08, 22:05
are you....is there something you do daily to keep away the bad omens?
coming from a fishing town...well fishermen are known to be very superstitious.....Never take a pack of swan vesta to sea with you, never whistle at se and never put to sea if you have seen a minister that day..:eek:
I don't know why.

carasmam
13-May-08, 23:24
I never put new shoes on a table and will throw salt over my shoulder if I spill a bit :eek:

sweetpea
13-May-08, 23:50
Anytime I don't feel v confident about what I'm doing I put a prayer up!

Metalattakk
14-May-08, 00:59
Not on a daily basis that I am aware of
but wouldnt walk under a ladder that kind of thing I am terrible
all passed down by my Mother and Grandmother and all the little sayings that went with it and the worst part I Now say them !!!

I make a point of walking under ladders, if it's at all possible. The look on the guy at the top's face is priceless! [lol]

Superstitions? Bunkum and tosh. Utterly.

newpark
14-May-08, 07:44
I never put new shoes on a table, Split a lamp post and hate a black cat crossing my path.

horseman
14-May-08, 07:49
Shoes on the table an salt over the shoulder-imagine not having anything to believe in!

scorrie
14-May-08, 14:39
"Always keep a nutmeg grater in your coalbunker and you will never suffer from piles"

I found that info in Viz magazine, and I have to report that I didn't follow their advice and was punished when Jim Rockford opened his files in my backyard.

Julia
14-May-08, 14:52
I make a point of walking under ladders, if it's at all possible.

Ditto, I too make a point of walking under ladders.

I won't ever put new shoes on a table, pass someone on the stairs or cross knives though :confused

Anji
14-May-08, 16:15
Stir with a knife and stir up strife, my mother always said. I won't put new shoes on a table, either.

ciderally
14-May-08, 18:01
ah they are all pretty good ....most have been handed down from mums and dads..for how many years i wonder....was watching that fishing programe last night the one from alaska....one captain wouldent start fishing untill he had a pot noodle...they searched the boat ...no pot noodle could be found...now everything that goes wrong on that fishing season...is going to be down to the pot noodle ritual...thats superstitious...

trix
14-May-08, 18:25
Superstitions? Bunkum and tosh. Utterly.

in yer humble opinion :roll:

cuddlepop
14-May-08, 19:29
I would rather go back up stairs than pass someone on them.
New shoes on the table,even in a box is another no,no.
Walking under ladders.
Spilt salt
Friday 13th
Far too many to mention.
Think you can guess I.m superstitious.:)

YummyMummy
14-May-08, 19:34
My mum is the most superstitious person I know. Once I gave her a bouquet of flowers and she handed them back to me coz they were white and red!! Says that signals death. I mean to say, WHY??? She is convinced that your first foot at New Year determines what kind of year you have :confused

carasmam
14-May-08, 19:44
Does anyone know what is behind the superstition of not passing on the stairs ?

helenwyler
14-May-08, 20:15
Does anyone know what is behind the superstition of not passing on the stairs ?

Here's one possible explanation, carasmam, but most superstitions seem to have more than one possible origin :).

The superstition behind this is that if two people 'cross' on the stairs, then they will have a fight. A slight variation on this superstition is that people will 'cross swords' before nightfall if they cross on the stairs.
The origins of this superstition date back to the very narrow and often spiral staircases which used to be prevalent in English castles. The person who was coming up the stairs was at a disadvantage: they could easily be pushed downstairs by someone descending the staircase.
Also whatever happened, neither party would be able to defend themselves by drawing their swords, because the stairs were so narrow. So if they had a disagreement, the person coming down the staurs would probably win. So you would only cross on the stairs if you really knew and trusted someone.
In addition the post at the bottom of the stairs is often carved with an acorn. This dates back to the Druids who felt that oak was a great protector. So when stairs were invented the acorn protected the inhabitants from the 'different worlds' of the ground and first floors.

ciderally
14-May-08, 20:51
My mum is the most superstitious person I know. Once I gave her a bouquet of flowers and she handed them back to me coz they were white and red!! Says that signals death. I mean to say, WHY??? She is convinced that your first foot at New Year determines what kind of year you have :confused
tee hee ...sounds just like my mum...

Anji
14-May-08, 21:44
[quote=YummyMummy;383771]My mum is the most superstitious person I know. Once I gave her a bouquet of flowers and she handed them back to me coz they were white and red!! Says that signals death. I mean to say, WHY???

I think the red and white flowers are supposed to signify blood on bandages.

joxville
14-May-08, 22:33
There are so many that we come across every day we shouldn't have time to get anything done. I deliberately go against superstitions and nothing bad has happened to me. Apart from losing both parents at a young age and being divorced I've led a charmed life.:D:D

trix
14-May-08, 23:08
am no superstitious as such but i do believe in karma..

'what goes aroond, always comes roond'

'he who laughs last'.....also springs til mind [lol]

carasmam
14-May-08, 23:14
Here's one possible explanation, carasmam, but most superstitions seem to have more than one possible origin

The superstition behind this is that if two people 'cross' on the stairs, then they will have a fight. A slight variation on this superstition is that people will 'cross swords' before nightfall if they cross on the stairs.
The origins of this superstition date back to the very narrow and often spiral staircases which used to be prevalent in English castles. The person who was coming up the stairs was at a disadvantage: they could easily be pushed downstairs by someone descending the staircase.
Also whatever happened, neither party would be able to defend themselves by drawing their swords, because the stairs were so narrow. So if they had a disagreement, the person coming down the staurs would probably win. So you would only cross on the stairs if you really knew and trusted someone.
In addition the post at the bottom of the stairs is often carved with an acorn. This dates back to the Druids who felt that oak was a great protector. So when stairs were invented the acorn protected the inhabitants from the 'different worlds' of the ground and first floors.

Thanks Helen :) I always find these things fascinating, we hand down the superstitions and beliefs to the next generation without realising sometimes and then dont know the story behind it !

trix
14-May-08, 23:18
hate a black cat crossing my path.

a black cat is lucky newpark....

when ye see one pass yer way yer supposed til say....

'black cat black cat
make ma day..
black cat black cat
bless ma way'

then dependin if 'e moon is waxin or wanin ye turn roond 3 times, deosil (clockwise) or widdershins (anti clockwise) an then spit on 'e groond.

sposed til bring ye luck ;)

Whitewater
14-May-08, 23:25
This thread has been an interesting read. I've always thought that I was not superstitious, but on reading through I have come to the conclusion that I must be extremely superstitious, I have done things and taken all the precautionary measures mentioned here.

TBH
15-May-08, 00:27
"Never leave your eggshells unbroken in their cup
Think of us poor Sailors and always smash them up,
For Witches come and find them, and sail them out to sea,
And make a lot of misery for Mariners like me"

Kismet
15-May-08, 11:10
Only the one thing i usually do is " see a penny pick it up allday long you'll have good luck" It disna work [lol] bit I live in hope :roll:

candyfloss
15-May-08, 12:06
Never cut your nails on a Sunday
Break a mirror and you'll get 7 years bad luck.

ciderally
15-May-08, 12:11
this is a new one to me.....cheers..no more unbroken egg shells in my hoose:roll:

candyfloss
15-May-08, 12:14
Never open an umbrella in doors is another one i can think of .

poppett
15-May-08, 15:28
Friday the thirteenth? I just love it, and if I can buy a raffle ticket No 13 that day I am delighted.

Ladders? In my youth I would cross the road to walk under one, have received some funny looks, but no harm has come to me so far.

Stairs? Don`t pass anyone on stairs, but from a safety point of view, not superstision

Shoes on table? Who would want to do such a thing???........It`s totally unhygienic apart from anything else. Now what happens in the shoe shop when you go to pay and the shoes are put on the table whilst the customer pays?

Kismet
15-May-08, 16:54
Never cut your nails on a Sunday
Break a mirror and you'll get 7 years bad luck.

We broke tons of mirrors as kids lol Maybe thats why my penny picking up disna work [lol] We always said as kids we would have bad luck til the end of our days amount of mirrors broken in our house.

teddybear1873
15-May-08, 17:01
1. A bird in the house is a sign of a death

2. A loaf of bread should never be turned upside down after a slice has been cut from it.

3. Never take a broom along when you move. Throw it out and buy a new one.

4. If the first butterfly you see in the year is white, you will have good luck all year.

5. If a black cat walks towards you, it brings good fortune, but if it walks away, it takes the good luck with it

6. An acorn at the window will keep lightning out

7. A dog howling at night when someone in the house is sick is a bad omen.

8. It’s bad luck to leave a house through a different door than the one used to come into it.

9. A horseshoe hung in the bedroom will keep nightmares away.

10. If you catch a falling leaf on the first day of autumn you will not catch a cold all winter.

11. If a mirror in the house falls and breaks by itself, someone in the house will die soon.

12. Dropping an umbrella on the floor means that there will be a murder in the house.

13. All windows should be opened at the moment of death so that the soul can leave.

14. If the groom drops the wedding band during the ceremony, the marriage is doomed.

15. To dream of a lizard is a sign that you have a secret enemy.

16. If a friend gives you a knife, you should give him a coin, or your friendship will soon be broken.

17. You should never start a trip on Friday or you will meet misfortune.

18. Dream of running: a sign of a big change in your life.

19. If a clock which has not been working suddenly chimes, there will be a death in the family.

20. It is bad luck to light three cigarettes with the same match.

trix
15-May-08, 17:06
" see a penny pick it up allday long you'll have good luck"

hand'ed til a friend an yer luck'l niver end ;)

Kismet
15-May-08, 17:20
Here's one possible explanation, carasmam, but most superstitions seem to have more than one possible origin :).

Thats really interesting little wonder there were so much fighting in highschool though [lol][lol]

ciderally
15-May-08, 17:27
goodness teddybear....what a lot to ponder on...have to print that lot out....

honey
15-May-08, 19:40
im really superstitious, and all my work pals take the micky cause i go mad if they split a lampost when im walking with them

My major one just now is magpies, im constantly saluting single ones! :lol:

as for fishermen, my grandads side of the family were Shorestreeters, and i heard a story about the fishermen turnign back and going home if they met a certain older woman on their way to the habour, they would not set sail if they saw here..

imagine the complex she must have had! :eek:

Kismet
15-May-08, 20:20
hand'ed til a friend an yer luck'l niver end ;)

ah yes knew there was another bit to it couldna remember it will be giving away a lot of pennies in future [lol][lol]

Tighsonas4
15-May-08, 20:45
[lol]personally i dont go much on these things although i dont do some things because it was handed down
its many moons since i sat my driving test. on the 13th of feb. passedvfirst time wasnt working at the time and there was a job in the groat so that was my first run and got the job too how come [lol] tony????

padfoot
15-May-08, 23:55
i dnt walk under ladders and if im bored i dnt step on the cracks hahaha and i dnt like splitting the pole

Kismet
16-May-08, 03:41

Am sure this ryhme is new to me but maybe not the superstition I seem to remember always breaking my eggshells

This is an interesting post especially when someone comes in with the reason behind a superstition, I think I am aware of a whole heap of superstitions but I know the story behind very few.