PDA

View Full Version : Wind Turbine in your garden?

YummyMummy
13-May-08, 16:49
We are seriously considering getting a wind turbine in our garden (possibly next year), because of the high fuel prices, the constant wind(!) and environmental benefits.

The one we would need to make it worth our while would cost an absolute fortune, but it should pay for itself within 3-4 years (maybe less, the way things are headed) and we would get a grant (about 16-20% of the overall cost).

The upside is that in the longer term, we'd have no bills :), the downside is the initial outlay :confused

What do folk think? Would you do it if you had the means? We're in a fairly exposed position, with not many houses around, so wouldn't be heard/and out of people's immediate view.

Good to hear folks views. Thanks in advance.

AfternoonDelight
13-May-08, 16:58
I would be all for it if, as you say, it will pay for itself in the not so distant future...

How big is it, by the way?

Bobinovich
13-May-08, 16:59
In your situation, if you've done your sums right, you'd be mad not to. Electricity prices are just going to keep rising, so small scale generation seems like a sound investment. I'd be doing the same except I'm in the middle of Thurso!

MadPict
13-May-08, 17:27
I was just discussing domestic turbines last night with a friend in California - he pointed me to Vertical Axis Wind Turbines (VAWT's) http://www.pacwind.net/products.html#aeo

These seem a lot less intrusive than the traditional turbine used in the UK.

YummyMummy
13-May-08, 17:32
Thanks so far.

The one we would go for is 12 metres high (low profile - so they say:confused) with only 2 blades.

I think I just need to justify it to myself and my OH - as it's such a big thing in our lives (literally!), but on the sums so far, it's looking good as there are opportunities to sell back to the grid what you don't use (£££'s) and renewable investement (that brings in more £££) and of course, the incentive of no bills later on.

Keep posting!

Riffman
13-May-08, 18:27
Well if you are serious I can point in the direct of a few people to chat to.

The fact is though, unless you are generating at least a 1 MegaWatt it will not pay for itself within 25 years.

A 12m two blade turbine will probably only produce about 2KW. That sounds good, but most of the time the output will be between 500W and 1.5KW.

Is it an AC or DC turbine? If it is AC you will need to be wired into the grid via a controller. This can be jolly expensive. If it is DC you will need a battery bank and an invertor. Again, expensive.

I made up a spread sheet a couple of weeks ago to calculate the wind energy. It is measured per m2 of swept area. I will attempt to attach it to this post. Enter the swept area of the turbine into the RED box. Don't forget that this is the wind energy, and not the electrical energy. Divide by 3 to find the electrical energy. The data was from local wind station in caithness.

http://justmephoto.110mb.com/store/wind%20graph.xls

To find annual saving, multiply the KWh by £0.09

Thus with 1m2 of swept area the annual saving is (509 / 3) x 0.09 = £15.27

Woo.... amazing.[lol]

For a £5000 outlay that will take 300 years to pay back!

Kevin Milkins
13-May-08, 18:37
I was just discussing domestic turbines last night with a friend in California - he pointed me to Vertical Axis Wind Turbines (VAWT's) http://www.pacwind.net/products.html#aeo

These seem a lot less intrusive than the traditional turbine used in the UK.

Very nice bit of kit MadPict, but do they burn.lol:lol:

It seems hard to make the figures work out.

Riffman
13-May-08, 18:52
VAWTs do work, but they still have a lower efficiency than a HAWT.

YummyMummy
13-May-08, 21:31
Here, don't be burning mine if I get it!!:~(

Thanks Riffman - very useful. We'd be going for a 6kW one and I was led to believe that it'd produce a lot more than your figures! Sounds like I need to do some serious research (which I would do anyway). Get in touch with others that have installed them, that kind of thing.

The figures I am using are based on Orkney outputs. Should point out at this stage that we're in John O'Groats - arguably the windiest place on the mainland, at least that's how it feels most of the time.....

Thanks for the feedback.

badger
14-May-08, 11:28
Definitely do a lot of research and don't be talked into anything by a company selling these things or you could find yourselves seriously out of pocket. The promises don't always match the delivery.

Tugmistress
14-May-08, 11:35
Don't know if it'll be any use to you but if you want some real time data i have a wind hours/energy table on my weather page here (http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=8)

YummyMummy
14-May-08, 13:38
Tugmistress

Thanks very much for that!

skinnydog
14-May-08, 14:10
We investigated this for our new build last year and the figures did not work in it's favour so did not puruse it any further.

Also, did you know that they have a limitor (right word not sure??) which kicks in when it gets too windy and shuts the thing off, so if you are in a windy, exposed location it might not be on as much as you think!!

Angel
14-May-08, 23:19
Also take into account that you will still have/need an electricity supply for when there is nowind/serviceing/breackdowns... add these costs into the bigger picture...

Check with the electric company as the charge for occasional use can be even more expensive.

Would there be anything in it for you for the power generated and not used to be sold back and or stored... It all costs..

Tread carefully and don't get dragged into something thats trendy....

Angel

Whitewater
14-May-08, 23:43
I can recall reading an article in the Young Scientist, in my teens, many many years ago, on building a windmill suitable for generation for a house. It did not appear to be too difficult. I'm sure that if you were keen, had the means, and looked into it you could do it fairly easily and at fairly low cost.
Having said that I've got myself thinking, I may do some reasearch on the subject. I have had ideas about installing solar panels, but in this part of the world wind power would be a better option.

Riffman
14-May-08, 23:43
Unless you are stuck on a wee island without mains power, then micro turbines really are not that useful......

What part of your fuel bills are the greatest? Do you use electric fires alot? One thing that does work pretty well is solar water heating.

A decent set of vacuum tube panels will heat all your water in the summer, and provide a decent contribution in winter.

http://www.smartenergyuk.com/our-products/solar-water-heating

Energy is not just electricity you know.