PDA

View Full Version : Peaches chippy

sjr014
13-May-08, 07:41
With all the talk of long lost shops and sweeties got me reminising! Would love a bag o peaches chips and a sausage!!! And a lime ice cream fae Caberelis!!! I loved the smell in Cabarelis a mix of coffee and chocolate!

candyfloss
13-May-08, 08:24
Ah, i loved peaches chips,they were the best ever always had a pickled onion too :D

BazzaG
13-May-08, 09:18
lmfao was only speaking to a mate the other day about e chippy, was the best chippy, Loved there patty suppers

ciderally
13-May-08, 09:25
peaches chippy.....loved the new potato season though the size was reduced to half a bag...what a complaining we kids used to do at that....

Tighsonas4
13-May-08, 10:32
With all the talk of long lost shops and sweeties got me reminising! Would love a bag o peaches chips and a sausage!!! And a lime ice cream fae Caberelis!!! I loved the smell in Cabarelis a mix of coffee and chocolate!
gone are the days sadly [lol] tony

MadPict
13-May-08, 11:04
Heh, used to sneak in an occassional red pudding supper from Peaches a few hours after I had eaten my tea!!!
Well, I was a growing lad!!....

sjr014
13-May-08, 11:28
just mindin tattie fritters!!!!

cd1977
13-May-08, 11:35
Surely it was "Peachies" rather than "Peaches"?

I have some inside info............ one of the chipping machines was regularly cleaned out of handfuls, literally handfuls, of maggotts.

The sausages were alright, but in general the place was a hole. I feel the sands of time are misting over people's memories here.

TBH
13-May-08, 11:49
Surely it was "Peachies" rather than "Peaches"?

I have some inside info............ one of the chipping machines was regularly cleaned out of handfuls, literally handfuls, of maggotts.

The sausages were alright, but in general the place was a hole. I feel the sands of time are misting over people's memories here.Why would you get handfulls of maggots in a chipping machine?

grandma
13-May-08, 12:16
I would imagine it's where the blue bottles laid their eggs? I only remember Peachies as being the greasiest, most disgusting chips ever seen. We always avoided it at school lunch times and went down to the riverside to Mr Mowatt's best ever chip van. And I was thin then too despite having chips just about every day!!!!

cd1977
13-May-08, 12:20
Why does it surprise you, TBH :roll:?

Lord Flasheart
13-May-08, 12:23
I do remember Peachies, main memory is of that tiled mosiac thing he had on the front of the counter that was slowly disintegrating. It looked ancient.

MadPict
13-May-08, 12:24
Was Peachies...

As long as it was regularly cleaned out of maggots....

TBH
13-May-08, 12:32
Why does it surprise you, TBH :roll:?Why are you rolling your eyes?:roll:
I always associated maggots with rotting meat not potatoes.:roll:

cd1977
13-May-08, 12:41
I dont feel there was any need for your initial reply, as the thread was kicking along nicely.

The maggotts were certainly resident in the back shop for quite some time. Health & Safety would be having kittens at such an establishment these days.

But I do agree that the maggotts gave the cuisine a certain "flavour", sadly no longer available.

I wonder if the current residents of the shop are aware of it's illustrious past?

TBH
13-May-08, 13:07
I dont feel there was any need for your initial reply, as the thread was kicking along nicely.There was nothing wrong with my reply. Asking why you would get handfuls of maggots in a potato chipper is hardly an unreasonable question to ask.

scorrie
13-May-08, 13:29
It is as well that you don't see what goes on behind the scenes in eating establishments. One of the lads I was at school with worked in a local bakery in the early 80's and he told me that the first job every single morning was sifting the cockroaches out of the flour. It put me right off. Well, for two days anyway!

If it is good enough for roaches, then that must be some sort of recommendation.

cd1977
13-May-08, 14:04
There was nothing whatsoever wrong with the question. It was just the general pedantry that irritates me.

Why should I/or others have to justify every comment on every thread with an explanantion?

Julia
13-May-08, 15:05
They were really greasy, thin chips served in brown paper bags if I remember correctly, as my Uncle Charlie used to say, you pull one chip out of the bag and the whole lot followed. [lol]

balto
13-May-08, 15:23
oh they were the best chip shop ever, when we went to thrumster primary we used to swimming to wick high pool once a week after school, and then we would go to peaches for our tea what a lovely treat it was.

MadPict
13-May-08, 15:31
My memories of Peachies are from early 70's - didn't it change hands in the 80's?

Average
13-May-08, 15:35
I remember going to Peaches at lunctime. Virtually every kid would have the same thing, a chip Butty.
I also remember a fight outside it one lunchtime (approx 1989) when the big window was smashed.

TBH
13-May-08, 15:49
There was nothing whatsoever wrong with the question. It was just the general pedantry that irritates me.

Why should I/or others have to justify every comment on every thread with an explanantion?I didn't imply anything about justifying your comment, I was asking out of curiosity, nothing else. How that qualifies as being pedantic I don't Know.

My memories of Peachies are from early 70's - didn't it change hands in the 80's?Brian took over the shop with his wife, Margaret I think she was called.

nicnic74
13-May-08, 15:53
God i could scoff a bag o peachies chips e now, we 2 sausages in it & a cple o tattie fritters at e side it wiz yummy,
Making me hungry noo:)

balto
13-May-08, 15:56
aye brians wife was called margaret, think she died didnt she, and brian still lives beside where the old chinese was (the one they knoked down beside richards garage)

weeksider
13-May-08, 18:47
ya couldna beat John Cormack's chip shop but Sandy & Pearl's were good but Charlie & Kay's had the best batter and quantity,

DM07
13-May-08, 18:55
I worked in peaches well not when it was peaches but when it was its last owner. I dont remember maggots. I do remember eating ALOT of mars bars in batter!

Kevin Milkins
13-May-08, 19:12
my mouth is watering and after 27 posts this white settler is none the wiser as to were Peachies chip shop used to be.lol:confused

MadPict
13-May-08, 19:22
At the bottom of Dempster Street/junc Macleay St. almost opposite to the Ford garage.

silverfox57
13-May-08, 19:25
my mouth is watering and after 27 posts this white settler is none the wiser as to were Peachies chip shop used to be.lol:confused
kevin peachies was in dempster st where the Chinese takeaway is now.

Kevin Milkins
13-May-08, 19:35
Thanks for that M/P I think I know it .
Does our taste buds change or are chips cooked in a different way? I am sure they dont taste as good as when I was a nipper.

silverfox57
13-May-08, 19:39
as we are on chip shops in wick think john Cormack's first shop in back side in the sixties, should get a mention,as we had to wait as john put one or two lumps of coal in stove for fryer,was worth the wait as the best fish supper ever,happy days,

poppett
13-May-08, 19:45
Chips now are mostly cooked in vegetable oil to suit the vegetarians amongst us. Peachies chips were cooked in beef dripping in my youth, hence the difference in taste.

Never mind the maggots, many years ago in the big house on the hill in Inverness (Craig Dunain Hospital) the first job in the morning for the domestic staff was to go to the back kitchen for the bread, rolls and milk for the wards. We used to have to tramp through cockroaches ankle deep some days it was awful. Whilst staying in the now City we frequented a particular chip van who served up brilliant chips in various spots round the town at set times. What put me off chips for a long time was the fact that the cook used to SPIT in the fat to see if it was hot enough! Never heard of e-coli in those days, and the shops regularly cut cooked meat on the same slicer as bacon without as much as a wipe in between.

balto
13-May-08, 19:51
also remember their mince patties, have never tasted anything to match it since.

silverfox57
13-May-08, 19:54
there was one chip shop in wick will not name it.was many moons ago,but owner would spit in hot fat in fryer,to see if it was hot enough for chips.no health and safety back then.

Kevin Milkins
13-May-08, 19:56
We were often skint as kids and if we timed it right when we came out of the pictures we could get 1 pennies worth of scrumps.
These were the crusty bits that fell of the the batter of the fish. Mmmm Delicious

MadPict
13-May-08, 20:01
Thats it!!! I can't stand it anymore - fish and chip van comes round the village tomorrow and I'll be there...

silverfox57
13-May-08, 20:02
We were often skint as kids and if we timed it right when we came out of the pictures we could get 1 pennies worth of scrumps.
These were the crusty bits that fell of the the batter of the fish. Mmmm Delicious
kevin think I will have to stop reading this thread,as we will all be off to chip shop now:lol::lol:

Kevin Milkins
13-May-08, 20:09
kevin think I will have to stop reading this thread,as we will all be off to chip shop now:lol::lol:

I started reading the thread and became hungry, then sombody mentioned maggots in the spuds and I lost my appetite.
I am now back to feeling peckish again.
I can see the headlines in the Groaty this week ,ALL CAITHNESS CHIP SHOPS REPORT A SELL OUT ON TUESDAY FOR NO APPARENT REASON.:lol:

lynne duncan
13-May-08, 20:55
every time we went off on holidays, first thing i longed for was a peachies chip butty wae plenty of vinegar and all the crack when we came back

mmmm as you say chips for lunch tomorrow

where do you think the best chippy in caithness is nowadays, we can't see past henrietta

TBH
13-May-08, 21:25
aye brians wife was called margaret, think she died didnt she, and brian still lives beside where the old chinese was (the one they knoked down beside richards garage)I didn't know she died. That's a shame as they were a really nice couple, glad to hear that Brian is still on the go.

I started reading the thread and became hungry, then sombody mentioned maggots in the spuds and I lost my appetite.
.:lol:I doubt very much if there were maggots in the chipper, more like an urban myth. Anyway, maggots are loaded with protein and are very nice in a smoothie made with apple juice and banana.

Kevin Milkins
13-May-08, 21:31
[I doubt very much if there were maggots in the chipper, more like an urban myth. Anyway, maggots are loaded with protein and are very nice in a smoothie made with apple juice and banana.[/quote]

I think I will take your word for that one TBH. I am not fussy about putting a maggot on the hook when fishing let alone doing a smoothie.

TBH
13-May-08, 21:35
I think I will take your word for that one TBH. I am not fussy about putting a maggot on the hook when fishing let alone doing a smoothie.Lots of course anglers used to put the maggot into their mouth to warm it up before putting it on the hook. I remember a few years ago that some anglers were developing mouth cancer due to a dye that was used on the maggots.

horseman
14-May-08, 08:43
Healthy or no- peachies chips were bleedin great--an he usually had a good crack going to-normally sexually oriented-but for a teenage lad at that time in wick it was manna :D

cd1977
14-May-08, 09:31
Urban myth = no. True = yes :roll:

I also used to clean maggots from the bandsaw in a certain butcher shop which I wont name. It was only cleaned once every two weeks. These usually came from frozen salmon whose heads and tails were removed using said saw.

I now await being lectured that this is in fact impossible and I have just made it up.

Kismet
14-May-08, 10:27
Don't know about rushing to the chip shop???? Even though there is health and safety these days,thankfully :lol: Everytime I think of having a chippy now, maggots and cockroaches are going to spring to mind :(

Kismet
14-May-08, 10:29
Don't often have chippy now but used to have it every saturday at my work from Robins, he used to take our order over the phone and deliver it to work for us. :D Even put down sweeties at Xmas as a thankyou for our orders

cd1977
14-May-08, 10:44
I think chippers in general are rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

Lets face it, red puddings, sausages, mock chops etc. are little better than heavily spiced and coloured dog food. Would you eat dog food if someone covered it in dripping and sealed it in hot oil?

I think the Scottish public are slowly waking up to the fact that chippers and Chinese are amongst the most unhealthy foods you can possibly obtain.

And as someone said earlier, the vegetable oil which is now used for cooking has diminished the taste.

SNOWDOG
14-May-08, 10:46
Was generally half-cut most times i went to peachies, the once i did go sober i got Dehli-belly! Typical!

MadPict
14-May-08, 12:03
Err, correction needed - Chinese food is one of the most healthy if properly cooked. The use of the wok to flash fry vegetables means that very little of the vitamins etc are lost as with boiling. Sure MSG is added as a flavour enhancer and that is not a good thing to be taking in but I can assure you that Chinese is very good for you.

Just as Indian food properly cooked is nothing like the fire engine red tandoori dishes many Brits are used to eating.

And actually fish and chips is quite a healthy meal if eaten in moderation (like many things)...

Eating deep fried dog food wouldn't do you any harm either - all pet food has to be 'safe for human consumption'. So deep fried Pal would be better for you than that deep fried Mars Bar....

cd1977
14-May-08, 12:36
OK, fair point, I should have said Chinese takeaway food, rather than Chinese cuisine. The stuff that is available locally is pretty disastrous for your health I would imagine.

Fish and chips is probably healthy. I am talking about the puddings and sausages also available - these things are purchased for 30p each, deep fried, and then sold at a quite astonishing mark-up. And yet people lap it up?

Although we have heard of and enjoyed many types of Chinese & Indian cuisine, do you think they have ever heard of, or God forbid tasted, a polony supper?

hotrod4
14-May-08, 13:11
Err, correction needed - Chinese food is one of the most healthy if properly cooked. The use of the wok to flash fry vegetables means that very little of the vitamins etc are lost as with boiling. Sure MSG is added as a flavour enhancer and that is not a good thing to be taking in but I can assure you that Chinese is very good for you.

I use MSG which I import from Thailand and its done me no harm.
I use it in lots of home made meals i make.
MSG being bad is a bit of a myth as no scientific evidence has been found to prove it is.

What is monosodium glutamate (MSG)?

MSG is a flavor enhancer which has been used effectively for nearly a century to bring out the best flavor of foods. Its principal component is an amino acid called glutamic acid or glutamate. Glutamate is found naturally in protein-containing foods such as meat, vegetables, poultry and milk. The human body also produces glutamate naturally in large amounts. The muscles, brain and other body organs contain about four pounds of glutamate, and human milk is rich in glutamate, compared to cow's milk, for example.

Glutamate is found in two forms: "bound" glutamate (linked to other amino acids forming a protein molecule) and "free" glutamate (not linked to protein). Only free glutamate is effective in enhancing the flavor of food. Foods often used for their flavoring qualities, such as tomatoes and mushrooms, have high levels of naturally occurring free glutamate.

Hope this helps dispel the myth!!!

MadPict
14-May-08, 14:37
I have found no need to add MSG to anything I cook - the flavours certainly don't need any enhancing...

Margaret M.
14-May-08, 15:42

The harm MSG causes may not be apparent until years later. I want to hang on to every brain cell I have so I try to avoid it. Hard to do since they call it many names other than MSG when they list ingredients.

From Truthinlabeling.org: Research that has claimed to find that MSG is "safe" has always been seriously flawed; and has always been financed, directly or indirectly, by the glutamate industry. Research confirming that MSG consumed by laboratory animals causes brain lesions in the area of the hypothalamus has been replicated many times.

Endocrine disorders; conditions such as gross obesity, stunted growth, learning disabilities, and behavior disorders caused by MSG-induced damage to the endocrine system; and glaucoma and retinal degeneration (possibly leading to blindness) are not classified as "adverse reactions." When caused by MSG, their roots lie in the destruction of brain cells, possibly years before gross obesity, stunted growth, learning disabilities, behavior disorders, and/or retinal degeneration are first observed.

Obesity, reproductive disorders, and learning impairment, that sometimes become obvious only after puberty, may have their origins in neuroendocrine dysfunction caused by exposure of infants and small children to MSG.

What is glutamic acid (glutamate)?
Glutamic acid is an amino acid found in abundance in both plant and animal protein. In humans it is a non-essential amino acid, i.e., the body is capable of producing its own glutamic acid, and is not dependent upon getting glutamic acid from ingested food.

What is MSG?
Outside of the body, glutamic acid is produced commercially in food manufacturing and chemical plants. It's use in food began in the early 1900s as a component of a flavor enhancer called "monosodium glutamate." Unfortunately, any glutamic acid that is produced as an individual amino acid outside of the body for use in food, drugs, dietary supplements, cosmetics, personal care products, fertilizers, or other, can cause or exacerbate brain lesions, neuroendocrine disorders, learning disabilities, adverse reactions, neurodegenerative disease and more in animals -- including humans. Many people who realize that glutamic acid that is produced commercially in food manufacturing and chemical plants places humans at risk refer to all commercially produced glutamic acid as "MSG."

superted
14-May-08, 16:08
also remember their mince patties, have never tasted anything to match it since.

mmm mince patties were the best....what I'd do for one right now!!!!

TBH
14-May-08, 21:47
I use it in lots of home made meals i make.
MSG being bad is a bit of a myth as no scientific evidence has been found to prove it is.

What is monosodium glutamate (MSG)?

MSG is a flavor enhancer which has been used effectively for nearly a century to bring out the best flavor of foods. Its principal component is an amino acid called glutamic acid or glutamate. Glutamate is found naturally in protein-containing foods such as meat, vegetables, poultry and milk. The human body also produces glutamate naturally in large amounts. The muscles, brain and other body organs contain about four pounds of glutamate, and human milk is rich in glutamate, compared to cow's milk, for example.

Glutamate is found in two forms: "bound" glutamate (linked to other amino acids forming a protein molecule) and "free" glutamate (not linked to protein). Only free glutamate is effective in enhancing the flavor of food. Foods often used for their flavoring qualities, such as tomatoes and mushrooms, have high levels of naturally occurring free glutamate.

Hope this helps dispel the myth!!!How exactly does this dispel anything?

MadPict
15-May-08, 00:30
I had fish and chips and curry sauce for tea - thoroughly enjoyed it too....

Kismet
15-May-08, 10:52
Lol Lazyness took over last night and was fish and chips all round for tea and the maggots story never put my off, laziness always wins heehee.

Though would have been quicker cooking as took one of the bairns with me and almost home and realised her cardy was dropped and had to go halfway back for it. Then all the way home and she mentions her cup lol left in the chippy all the way back down lol serves me right for trying to be lazy heehee

hotrod4
15-May-08, 12:46
How exactly does this dispel anything?

Its some information for people who can make up their own minds about MSG.
It explains what MSG is for a start, and explains where it comes from.
You have a choice whether you eat products with MSG and I choose to and I am a qualified chef with a BMA accredited Diploma in Food nutrition!

TBH
15-May-08, 13:01
Its some information for people who can make up their own minds about MSG.
You have a choice whether you eat products with MSG and I choose to and I am a qualified chef with a BMA accredited Diploma in Food nutrition!A very vague description about msg which doesn't help dispel any fears that it could cause any health problems.

Margaret M.
15-May-08, 13:20

Your explanation infers that since glutamate is in the human body already it must be safe. It does not state that all commercially produced glutamate is a very different kettle of fish, that it can cause a host of adverse reactions and tests have proven it to destroy brain cells.

You have a choice whether you eat products with MSG and I choose to and I am a qualified chef with a BMA accredited Diploma in Food nutrition!

Hopefully you tell others when you have added MSG to something they are eating.

_Ju_
15-May-08, 17:30
Thanks for that M/P I think I know it .
Does our taste buds change or are chips cooked in a different way? I am sure they dont taste as good as when I was a nipper.

They probably tasted better because a mix of animal fat and vegetable oil were used, instead of the more usual vegetable oil in use nowadays. A real colestrol bomb! ;) My favorite chips are par boiled and finished with olive oil in the oven. Then just before taking them out of the oven, sprinkle with finely choped garlic and oregano...... yummmmmmmmmm