PDA

View Full Version : Auld Sweeties

joxville
12-May-08, 23:24
I heard in work that Mars are bringing back the Marathon and Opal Fruits names and a workmate mentioned Texan bars are back too. I remember them but I preferred a Nutty bar, it was chewy inside with a coating of nuts. Also, I remember McVities Gypsy Creams and Fry's Cream but don't know if you can still get them. That's the trouble with getting older, now that I'm old enough to eat sweeties without getting a telling off, my sweet tooth has deserted me so don't buy any!

Can any of you .orger's remind me of what sweet's were around in the 70's. Some more that I remember:

Bazooka Joe chewing gum
Hubba Bubba chewing gum
Beach Nut chewing gum
PK chewing gum
Crackle Bar, they were small crunchy things
MB bar, chocolate covered fondant
Moondust
Spangles

DeHaviLand
12-May-08, 23:27
Theres been a couple of cracking threads on this subject, do a search for it and you'll be amazed at the sweeties that everybody remembers. Lucky tatties and MB bars for me.

Nearly forgot, you can still buy MB bars, but its a secret!

SNOWDOG
13-May-08, 00:48
The PC Brigade got hold of Gypsy Creams and renamed them Romany Creams, havent seen them for yonks tho! :confused

thejudd
13-May-08, 02:01
I think you can still get hold off fry's cream in most supermarkets. Ohhhh spacedust and spangles takes me back to me youth lol :lol:

Metalattakk
13-May-08, 04:16
Can any of you .orger's remind me of what sweet's were around in the 70's.

Mars Bars
Polos
Twix
Fry's Turkish Delight
Wine Gums
Fruit Pastilles

Etc., etc., etc....

The Pepsi Challenge
13-May-08, 06:01
I'll raise you:

Golden Cup
Cabana
Yankee Bar
Macaroon (always tasted best bought from Thurso Picture House's sweetie window)

Lord Flasheart
13-May-08, 06:58
Get some old fashioned sweeties here ..

http://www.britishcandy.com/nostalgic_sweets_retro_candy1990.htm

Yummy.

sjr014
13-May-08, 07:22
I used to love toffee rolo biscuits and then they changed them to fudge which wasn't as good and don't think they do them now. Also you used to get a frys bar but it had 5 different fondant centres rather than the mint, can't remember what it was called though!

joxville
13-May-08, 08:55
I'll raise you:

Golden Cup
Cabana
Yankee Bar
Macaroon (always tasted best bought from Thurso Picture House's sweetie window)

Oooooh Golden Cups-I loved those, and Caramacs too

ciderally
13-May-08, 09:30
giving my age away here but can remember the... five boys chocolate bar...
but talking of times past who remembers getting the ...national dried baby's milk tins tying string to them and using them as stilts? ....ha

golach
13-May-08, 09:33
but talking of times past who remembers getting the ...national dried baby's milk tins tying string to them and using them as stilts? ....ha
Both Mrs G and I sitting here laughing at that memory, we remember it fine.

ciderally
13-May-08, 09:41
how much the kids are missing out these days with all the fancy play stations ect...
but talking of past shops ect...who remembers the old shed at top of kennedy whare we used to get a bottle of lemonade to go to the trinkie..ah im going to be day dreaming all day now...

scorrie
13-May-08, 13:35
who remembers the old shed at top of kennedy whare we used to get a bottle of lemonade to go to the trinkie..

Now it would be a bottle of Buckfast and two eccy tablets ;)

ciderally
13-May-08, 13:39
Now it would be a bottle of Buckfast and two eccy tablets ;)
no no honest...bot lem and a packet of crisps:roll:

scorrie
13-May-08, 13:47
Also you used to get a frys bar but it had 5 different fondant centres rather than the mint, can't remember what it was called though!

That was known as Fry's five boys but the name changed to Fry's five centres. It was taken off the market in 1992.

Does anyone recall these:-

Welcome
Summit
Trophy, later changed to Banjo
Nudge
Nunch
Moose

Buttercup
13-May-08, 14:39
That was known as Fry's five boys but the name changed to Fry's five centres. It was taken off the market in 1992.

Welcome
Summit
Nudge
Nunch
Moose

The Fry's 5 Boys Bar was just milk chocolate and Fry's 5 Centres was Chocolate with Lime, Lemon, Pineapple, Orange & Strawberry fondant fillings.
Do you remember the Cadbury's Milk Tray Bar?

scorrie
13-May-08, 15:24
The Fry's 5 Boys Bar was just milk chocolate and Fry's 5 Centres was Chocolate with Lime, Lemon, Pineapple, Orange & Strawberry fondant fillings.
Do you remember the Cadbury's Milk Tray Bar?

That was what I thought but several internet sweetie shops said that they were the same sweet eg http://www.sweetieworld.co.uk/most_wanted/frys_five_centres/

and also on the "A quarter of" website.

Guess they got a bum steer off someone.

ps I was only a babbie when Five Boys was on the go and times were so hard we had to sook pebbles and kid on they were Pandrops. Ah, the good old days.

jings00
13-May-08, 17:45
mint cracknels
texan bars
rancheros (corn crisp things)
5p bags o smokey bacon football crazy

ANNIE
13-May-08, 18:02
Splicer Bar All Different Colours
Football Chums Pale Green Or White Chewy Sweeties
Fruit Toffo
Olrig Half Penny Chews
Lucky Tatties With The Sweetie
Fizzy Lizzy Chewy Bars Had Sherbit In The Middle
Kp Salt And Vinegar Crisps
Just To Name A Few

Kismet
13-May-08, 19:16
I shouldn't have read this thread am trying to diet and have just gone and bought another caramac lol have had a few lately since spotting them in tescos

Kismet
13-May-08, 19:18
I remember lucky tatties from cormacks soft and had a plastic toy inside, have had some more recent as an adult but wasnot the same recipe they were harder.

poppett
13-May-08, 19:24
Fry`s five centres had the different fruit fondant cream inside. As well as the original Fry`s cream bars, peppermint and orange are also available.

Fry`s five boys was a bar of milk chocolate with five different boy faces on each piece.

Cadbury (I think) used to make sandwich bars, either two layers of milk chocolate with plain chocolate in the middle or vice-versa

joxville
13-May-08, 21:10

Welcome
Summit
Nudge
Nunch
Moose

I remember when Trophys came out in the 70's-our local ice cream van was giving them away in a free promotion. Needless to say I ate too many then felt sick.:(

joxville
13-May-08, 21:13
I just remembered another one, Pacers-they were a green and white chewy sweet.

joxville
13-May-08, 21:18
Get some old fashioned sweeties here ..

http://www.britishcandy.com/nostalgic_sweets_retro_candy1990.htm

Yummy.

Thanks for the link Your Lordship. Sweetie heaven. I'm going to go and have another look, maybe even buy some.:D:D:D

TBH
13-May-08, 21:32
Both Mrs G and I sitting here laughing at that memory, we remember it fine.

but talking of times past who remembers getting the ...national dried baby's milk tins tying string to them and using them as stilts? ....haBeen there, did that. [lol]
I must admit that I had a penchant for dime bars at one point in time.

Bobinovich
13-May-08, 21:58
Thanks for the link Your Lordship. Sweetie heaven. I'm going to go and have another look, maybe even buy some.

I seriously recommend you set yourself a maximum budget before you start - it's FAR too easy to spend a fortune here without even trying LOL!

Anne x
13-May-08, 22:08
I remember lucky tatties from cormacks soft and had a plastic toy inside, have had some more recent as an adult but wasnot the same recipe they were harder.

Tobermory Tatties we called them lovely !!! also Puff Candy now called Cinder toffee and black pkt Spangles Mmmm

nightowl
14-May-08, 18:19
Re Five Boys chocolate, I know I've gone on about it before, but can anyone remember the descriptions under the faces of the boys. I recall Anticipation and Desperation only, and it's annoying not being able to remember the rest. And no, constipation is not one!!

Corsastu
14-May-08, 18:31
What about gumdy not sure if its the correct spelling,hard white candy softer as you went on.the last place i remember having it was in janets old shop in louisbrugh street,anyone no if anybody still sells it anywhere?

Anne x
14-May-08, 18:54
What about gumdy not sure if its the correct spelling,hard white candy softer as you went on.the last place i remember having it was in janets old shop in louisbrugh street,anyone no if anybody still sells it anywhere?

Gundy there is a recipe for it on Page 6 recipe section 1/04/07

Kismet
14-May-08, 19:09
Tobermory Tatties we called them lovely !!! also Puff Candy now called Cinder toffee and black pkt Spangles Mmmm

mmmmmmm puff candy and spangles my mouth is watering

plasticjock
14-May-08, 19:36
Re Five Boys chocolate, I know I've gone on about it before, but can anyone remember the descriptions under the faces of the boys. I recall Anticipation and Desperation only, and it's annoying not being able to remember the rest. And no, constipation is not one!!

According to the web:
Desperation/Pacification/Expectation/Acclamation/Realisation

scorrie
14-May-08, 20:42
According to the web:
Desperation/Pacification/Expectation/Acclamation/Realisation

And, latterly, CONSTIPATION ;)

jim shoe
14-May-08, 20:56
mint cracknel and the black spangles oh i remember them well

went on that sweetie website at the time they didnt sell mint cracknell

must try again though

:lol:

padfoot
16-May-08, 01:18
i luved rainbow drops

Buttercup
16-May-08, 16:56
i luved rainbow drops

Saw Rainbow Drops in McColl's shop in Ormlie.:lol:

plumber
16-May-08, 21:07
Aztec bars, yum! yum!

Kismet
16-May-08, 21:28
Saw Rainbow Drops in McColl's shop in Ormlie.:lol:

they are still sold in quite a few places, as a bairn we used to pour milk on them as you do cereal [lol] They have lasted well there must be a fair few older sweets still on sale now