PDA

View Full Version : Fairways Wick

BIG A
12-May-08, 21:39
Sad to see that another local shop is to Close Fairways in High Street Wick has started a Closing Down sale.
Soon all that will be left in the town centre will be Cafes and Charity shops.

Anne x
12-May-08, 22:09
Sad to see that another local shop is to Close Fairways in High Street Wick has started a Closing Down sale.

Oh I loved raking round that shop never knew what you'd find
the Mannie was lovely always knocking something off and you could take anything home to match up colours

Venture
12-May-08, 22:13

Maybe BIG A you will one day be the bearer of good news and tell us about a shop that is opening instead of all the ones that are closing. [lol]
Sad to see Fairways closing. A really good shop and a real gentleman who owned and ran it along with his assistant Mary. Always very helpful and always knocked something of the price. I'll certainly miss it.

balto
12-May-08, 22:21
sad to see another shop in wick is closing down. i mind that shop when i was a bairn such a nice man that owned it.

Whitewater
13-May-08, 11:14
Unfortunately, Ernie Adam, the man who owns it is no longer fit enough to run the shop, and has daughter, who is a school teacher just has not got the time.

dirdyweeker
13-May-08, 18:25
a lovely shop with prices that matched the quality. As previously mentioned Ernie always knocked off the pennies.If he didn't have it he would go out of his way to get it for you. He never pressured you into buying and was delighted if you 'just looked'. His shop window was always lovely decorated and Mary....she is a gem.
I for one will miss it.

balto
13-May-08, 20:34
is that the shop that mary ross who used to work in rs waters went to, i used to work with mary, she was is a lovely lady

mr do dar
13-May-08, 21:18
Watch out tesco . .... im sure it will be getting the blame for that one closing before long

Tristan
13-May-08, 21:27
Sorry to hear he is now well.
I still remember going in there for the first time looking for a new sheet set with Ms T. He didn't know us at all but handed us a set and said take it home make sure the colours are right etc. No deposit, no card number, just trust. A very fond memory of Wick.

sweetpea
13-May-08, 23:04
I haven't been for the last year or so but I loved having a root about in this shop and the personal touch.

bagpuss
16-May-08, 21:57
Ernie's daughter (who by the way is my friend in Caithness) does the windows for him- but she says that with both her father and Mary suffering ill health that they have to sell up. Wouldn't it be nice if someone took it over and ran it? She said they did have Duncan and Todd interested- but they pulled out due to cash flow problems elsewhere in their firm. They say if no-one else is interested they plan to offer it for rent to a charity shop.

scorrie
17-May-08, 01:37
Watch out tesco . .... im sure it will be getting the blame for that one closing before long

No, I don't think so. Only the paranoid Tesco supporter would think along those lines.

ashaw1
17-May-08, 12:59
Ernie's daughter (who by the way is my friend in Caithness) does the windows for him- but she says that with both her father and Mary suffering ill health that they have to sell up. Wouldn't it be nice if someone took it over and ran it? She said they did have Duncan and Todd interested- but they pulled out due to cash flow problems elsewhere in their firm. They say if no-one else is interested they plan to offer it for rent to a charity shop.
Just what Wick needs.........another charity shop!

bagpuss
17-May-08, 23:27
Small shops don't generate a lot of profit- the owner has to be working in there by themself in order to make any profit at all, and passing trade is a thing of the past- unless you happen to be a charity shop/bookie/takeaway

When Ernie was there himself he did a lot of contract work- that's what used to make money for the business- but the daughter teaches- and Highland Council employees cannot bid for contracts. Think it might be worthwhile someone looking to maybe get a grant from CASE or The Princes Trust to do something with it- otherwise look forward to Oxfam or the Sue Ryder Trust opening soon

henry20
17-May-08, 23:32
Excuse my ignorance, but where is Fairways?

The last thing Wick needs is a takeaway or charity shop :roll:

bagpuss
17-May-08, 23:44
Next to Sam's Furniture at 118 High Street- a converted church at the edge of the precinct. It used to get passing trade from people going to Cabrellis- but of late most people stop at Morags and don't bother with that part of the street.

It looks small from outside- but is actually huge. My friend's father ran it for years- and his daughter is trying to sell it or rent it out

bagpuss
17-May-08, 23:46
Oh- and J tells me that apparently Wick is about to get another two takeaways- a chippy where the fish shop was and a pizza place in the old Ironmongers on Bridge Street.

There are buzzes that if any more shops go, the bigger guns (Woolworths/Boots/Mackays) may take a hike too.

Maybe Macdonalds or Burger King might want to look at opening up?

dirdyweeker
18-May-08, 20:39
Oh- and J tells me that apparently Wick is about to get another two takeaways- a chippy where the fish shop was and a pizza place in the old Ironmongers on Bridge Street.

heard that the place in Bridge Street is to be aimed at teenagers.

trix
19-May-08, 00:06

jee, i thot that fairways closed doon aboot a year ago....:roll:

cheers for pointin oot that is hesna...maybe get a look in 'at 'e sale durin 'e week....

ma dish toels are lookin giy shabby :lol: