PDA

View Full Version : Weird early morning phone call

scorrie
12-May-08, 21:23
A couple of weeks ago I had just let the cat out at 5am and settled back into bed. One minute later the phone rang. I don't know about you but I hate calls at that time of day, as it is normally sends thoughts of something bad having happened racing to the forefront of my mind. Caller display showed that it was a withheld number so I picked up no further on as to who was ringing. The caller asked for me by name and then astonished me by asking if I was her Father!! Trying to re-assure her that I was definitely not guilty of that one had no effect and she proceeded to to tell me that her Father had the same name as me and had moved to Wick some time ago. She was trying to track him down as she had legal problems and could not sleep that night due to worry and pain. I tried to explain that I was having a bit of a problem getting my eyes shut myself but I couldn't bring myself to take the understandable option of telling her to off and put the phone down. She then started to tell me that she had the problem of having multiple identities and I felt I had to end the conversation rather quickly. I explained that I couldn't help as I did not know either her or her Father and that I would wish her good night. I suspected this would not be enough but the lassie accepted it and politely wished me a good night also. I have not had her calling again.

The thing is that almost everyone I have told about it has thought it was amusing, whereas I feel it is rather sad. It must take a pretty desperate person to pluck a name out of a phone book and blindly call round at that time of day. What would the Samaritans have done for the poor lassie if she had phoned them?

TBH
12-May-08, 21:51
There's hundreds of scorries in Wick, why pick on you?
Seriously though, could it be someone playing some kind of sick practical joke on you?

Julia
12-May-08, 23:23
That's pretty weird but probably just a prank call, someone has dared her to do it no doubt!

wifie
12-May-08, 23:52
Really sick for a prank! Sorry for her though if she is for real - very sad.

trix
13-May-08, 00:16
mibbe no thu, mibbe she wis genuine :eek:

scorrie
13-May-08, 13:19
It was definitely genuine. The way the lassie spoke and the detail she went into were way too real for it to be a prank. The sense of desperation was palpable. The lassie also gave me the name of a farm near Fearn and a quick Google revealed that someone with the same name as me did live there at one time.

It makes you wonder how people like the Samaritans decide whether someone is real or just coming the bag?

ciderally
13-May-08, 13:32
she sounded quite desperate to find her dad...hope she gets the help she needs....not much fun for you either, as it seems to be playing on your mind, which is not surprising i wouldent know how to handle a call like that myself....