PDA

View Full Version : caithness fm

balto
12-May-08, 19:03
I am writing this thread on behalf of my partner who i must say isnt very happy with caithness fm, he listens to it every saturday night between 10 and midnight as does his elderly mother, now her favourite song is Fields of Athenry, so he phoned up requesting it for her, but he never heard it, only to be told that they have had so many complaints about this song(from some rangers fans) now my good god this song is about a tattie famine so how come does everything need to be turned around to football, seems to me these people really need to get a life:mad::mad:

Moira
12-May-08, 19:52
I find this a bit strange. Moray Firth Radio (MFR) is my channel of choice as I travel a lot between Caithness and Inverness and can rely on the up-to-date road reports. As you probably know, MFR switches to Caithness FM (CFM) during the week at 7 p.m.

I often hear the recording to which you refer, albeit not always the same artiste(s), being played when I am motoring north. Did your partner phone up to complain or contact the Radio Station here ?:- http://www.caithnessfm.co.uk/

Btw, my favourite recording of this song features a local band with a young lass from Keiss on vocals. The name of the band escapes me but I think the lass's name is Kelly or Kerry.

balto
12-May-08, 19:56
can i ask what is a wonky orger it has got me intrigued

Moira
12-May-08, 20:06
Good question balto. You may ask - I may not answer. :)

balto
12-May-08, 20:07
so take it you dont know either, well does anyone know.

golach
12-May-08, 20:11
so take it you dont know either, well does anyone know.
Yes many know Balto, but we would be dead, if we told the horrible truth [lol]

Moira
12-May-08, 20:13
I thought we were discussing the "Fields of Athenry" as broadcast (or not as the case may be) on Caithness FM here ??

balto
12-May-08, 20:14
now you cant leave it like that, come on spill the beans.

Anne x
12-May-08, 20:18
I find this a bit strange. Moray Firth Radio (MFR) is my channel of choice as I travel a lot between Caithness and Inverness and can rely on the up-to-date road reports. As you probably know, MFR switches to Caithness FM (CFM) during the week at 7 p.m.

I often hear the recording to which you refer, albeit not always the same artiste(s), being played when I am motoring north. Did your partner phone up to complain or contact the Radio Station here ?:- http://www.caithnessfm.co.uk/

Btw, my favourite recording of this song features a local band with a young lass from Keiss on vocals. The name of the band escapes me but I think the lass's name is Kelly or Kerry.

Is it Kate Bain Moira ?

balto
12-May-08, 20:19
I thought we were discussing the "Fields of Athenry" as broadcast (or not as the case may be) on Caithness FM here ??
aye ok mayby we are wandering of the subject, sorry :Razz:Razz

Buttercup
12-May-08, 20:53

Do you mean Radio Active's version with Kelly Davidson on vocals? :D

Moira
12-May-08, 21:04
Is it Kate Bain Moira ?

Thanks for that suggestion Anne, but I'm not thinking of Kate Bain & Candy. Kate is not far behind me in years. I'm thinking of a much younger lass. Was she in a band called "Radioactive" at one point? I seem to think she worked in the DIY shop in Victoria Place in Wick...?

aye ok mayby we are wandering of the subject, sorry :Razz:Razz

No problems balto. You started the thread so should feel free to steer in the direction you intended.

Moira
12-May-08, 21:06
Do you mean Radio Active's version with Kelly Davidson on vocals? :D

Thank you Buttercup - that is exactly what I meant :D

balto
12-May-08, 21:08
No problems balto. You started the thread so should feel free to steer in the direction you intended.[/quote]
i was just curious to know what a wonky orger was, as it is such a funny name.

Buttercup
12-May-08, 21:10
Glad to be of assistance Moira ~ one of my favourite versions also.:D

Moira
12-May-08, 21:32

Yes - it was supposed to be funny. :lol:

Can you update us all on the official response you receive from Caithness FM? Thanks balto.

Glad to be of assistance Moira ~ one of my favourite versions also.:D

Glad to hear it Buttercup - thanks :)

Metalattakk
12-May-08, 21:54

I don't understand why there is such reticence to answer your question, balto. Are people afraid to tell you the truth? Why?

I'm not afraid to answer your question.

In the Members List, you'll find a few members who have different or funny titles. You'll notice Bobinovich for instance, is called a 'TechnOrger'.

Now, Moderators of the forum are allowed to pick a title for themselves, as Bobinovich has done. He's not scared to let people know that he's a Moderator, though. After all, if he were, he'd just put his title as '.Orger' like everyone else's. ;)

Now, as for Caithness FM banning 'Fields Of Athenrye': -

Well, speaking as a Rangers fan, I find it simply incredible that a county-wide radio station, representing Caithness, would even consider taking such an action.

What are they thinking about?

balto
12-May-08, 22:09
I don't understand why there is such reticence to answer your question, balto. Are people afraid to tell you the truth? Why?

I'm not afraid to answer your question.

In the Members List, you'll find a few members who have different or funny titles. You'll notice Bobinovich for instance, is called a 'TechnOrger'.

Now, Moderators of the forum are allowed to pick a title for themselves, as Bobinovich has done. He's not scared to let people know that he's a Moderator, though. After all, if he were, he'd just put his title as '.Orger' like everyone else's.
Now, as for Caithness FM banning 'Fields Of Athenrye': -

Well, speaking as a Rangers fan, I find it simply incredible that a county-wide radio station, representing Caithness, would even consider taking such an action.

What are they thinking about?aye whats next banning tina turners simply the best incase celtic fans get upset, banning the flower of scotland incase we upset the english the worlds gone crazy

northener
12-May-08, 22:45
[quote=Moira;382940]Thanks for that suggestion Anne, but I'm not thinking of Kate Bain & Candy. Kate is not far behind me in years. I'm thinking of a much younger lass. Was she in a band called "Radioactive" at one point? I seem to think she worked in the DIY shop in Victoria Place in Wick...?
quote]

You're right.

Kelly Davidson from Keiss fronts 'Radioactive'.

Lovely girl, lovely voice.

Moira
12-May-08, 23:02
Are they still performing Northener? That lass has a voice worth developing.

Buttercup
12-May-08, 23:10
Are they still performing Northener? That lass has a voice worth developing.
Couldn't tell you if they're still performing but they did release a CD a few years ago called "On Our Way"

Moira
13-May-08, 00:10
......In the Members List, you'll find a few members who have different or funny :roll:titles. You'll notice Bobinovich for instance, is called a 'TechnOrger'.

Now, Moderators of the forum are allowed to pick a title for themselves, as Bobinovich has done. He's not scared to let people know that he's a Moderator, though. After all, if he were, he'd just put his title as '.Orger' like everyone else's. ;)......

Gosh - you are so observant Metalattakk, even if you insist on being a tad patronising to balto. I've never hidden anything which you need to know here - if I had conspired to do so, I believe you'd not have noticed.

Moira
13-May-08, 00:16
:)
Couldn't tell you if they're still performing but they did release a CD a few years ago called "On Our Way"

Thanks Buttercup - I'll follow this up. :)

Aaldtimer
13-May-08, 02:28
.."Now, as for Caithness FM banning 'Fields Of Athenrye': -

What are they thinking about?"
:)

A wee bird tells me that the "Fields of Athenrye" will be on the playlist of "Frankly Folk" tomorrow night around about 9.30pm if anyone wants to hear the somg. As far as I know, there are no songs banned from the airways by CFM!
Well, apart from rude ones I suppose!:eek:

Metalattakk
13-May-08, 03:34
Gosh - you are so observant Metalattakk, even if you insist on being a tad patronising to balto.

Was I as patronising to balto as you were obfuscatory? At least I answered her question.

I've never hidden anything which you need to know here - if I had conspired to do so, I believe you'd not have noticed.

Funny how some are not scared, yet others are. Is that because some are confident that they are correct and fair with their actions, perhaps?

CFM
13-May-08, 08:41
I can confirm that there is no such ban on Caithness FM - the fields of athenry is regularly played on a Sunday night. I cannot comment on what actually happened on saturday night as reading this on the org is the first I have heard of this complaint - however I will speak to both the presenter and receptionist involved and find out exactly what happened.

In general can I just say that:

1. Our presenters bring their own music with them and so it is possible that, even if you heard a track played one night it may not be in the studio the next night.

2. Some songs are just not suitable for playing in certain shows and the presenter has the right to play an alternative.

3. As to the particular song in question - whether we or anybody else likes it or not, that song has become a bit of an anthem for some football fans and yes we have in the past received complaints about it being played on a Sunday night when Celtic have won that weekend - however Caithness Fm is non political and non religious and we do not get involved in those kinds of arguements

We try wherever possible, to play requests, as I said sometimes it is just not possible or suitable. we apologise if anyone was upset on Saturday night and assure you that there has been no policy decision made regarding this or any other song.

balto
13-May-08, 15:45
thanks for that, misunderstanding on my part it was actually on sunday nigth, on the country show between 7-9 that they were informed that this song was banned.

Riffman
13-May-08, 18:58
Anyone else find it really annoying the CFm hack the MFR frequency? GRRRRR[evil]

Why not use a different one? That way I will not have to it off all the time.

davem
13-May-08, 19:31
They don't "hack" it CFM are given the freq. as part of MFR's license which involves MFR promoting local community radio. MFR do broadcast around 95/97 fm as well if you feel you are missing out. Otherwise turning off isn't the only option - there's enough variety you might even like it!

Riffman
13-May-08, 19:36
Hurumph ...

hotrod4
14-May-08, 05:19
I think some progs on CFM are quite good.
Though the show I can stand is on Saturday afternoon as I find the show littered with idents "nicked" from the Adrian Just show that used to be on Radio 1, and it sounds like there all on cassette!!!!!.

Its like anything you cant please all the people all of the time, there is an OFF switch which I use on Saturdays so its not all bad.

With regards to the lyrics, I found this on wikipedia-
Supporters of Irish republicanism sometimes sing the song with the lyrics "Where once we watched the small free birds fly - oh baby, let the free birds fly / Our love was on the wing - Sinn Féin / We had dreams and songs to sing - IRA / It's so lonely round the Fields of Athenry.

So maybe thats why some people object to the song.
I am a very ardent Rangers fan and I dont object to the song, I only object to "pro IRA/Republican/ songs" being sung at games.

balto
15-May-08, 18:17
thanks to the chap that did the show think it was frankly folk on tuesday night, as he played the fields of athenry and was very sorry for what happened, nice to see they dont all think the same way.