PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh to Wick

brokencross
12-May-08, 17:53
Haven't been North for years and years (maybe 16 years). Used to travel overnight to miss all the touristy traffic.

So with all the improvements to the A9 etc how long does it take to drive from Edinburgh to Wick, sticking to the speed limits and assumimg no drastic hold ups with caravans or lorries.

Many thanks.

DeHaviLand
12-May-08, 18:07
I would be allowing 5 to 6 hours for that journey.

poppett
12-May-08, 18:27
Have done it in five for a medical emergency, but six hours is much more comfortable and realistic.

Hibeechick
12-May-08, 18:49
5 hours if the roads are quiet.

changilass
12-May-08, 19:41
Did it in 5 and a half on friday and there was quite a bit of traffic on the road.

ashaw1
12-May-08, 20:01
Again i would say between 5 and 6 hours, depends on the various roadworks and how many HGV's you get stuck behind between Wick and Inverness.

Bobinovich
12-May-08, 20:04
Generally 5 hours, but what you probably will find is that the improvements to the road, while minor in many ways, simply straighten out the journey and offer better overtaking opportunities.

I'd be interested to know how long it took 16 years ago!

ciderally
12-May-08, 20:07
hey...happy driving and enjoy your return to wick...

golach
12-May-08, 20:07
Generally 5 hours, but what you probably will find is that the improvements to the road, while minor in many ways, simply straighten out the journey and offer better overtaking opportunities.

I'd be interested to know how long it took 16 years ago!
Usually 8 hours Bobinovich, done by car, in the back of a 3 tonner truck, and in a fish lorry too, and that was just from Perth :eek:

bobandag16
12-May-08, 20:42
Have done it in five for a medical emergency, but six hours is much more comfortable and realistic.
was that over night. i did it in 1963 austin 1100 in 6 hours.

poppett
12-May-08, 21:30
bobandag, did that car run on aviation fuel? Was that the "duck egg blue one" with wings or the biscuit coloured 1100?

Valerie Campbell
13-May-08, 10:47
I would say 6 hours driving time depending on the time of day. Hope you enjoy your return.

Whitewater
13-May-08, 11:19
Haven't been North for years and years (maybe 16 years). Used to travel overnight to miss all the touristy traffic.

So with all the improvements to the A9 etc how long does it take to drive from Edinburgh to Wick, sticking to the speed limits and assumimg no drastic hold ups with caravans or lorries.

Many thanks.

Dangerous sort of question to ask, it can be done very quickly, but I will not quote any times. Allowing for a short break and legal driving you should do it in about 6hrs comfortably.

bobandag16
13-May-08, 16:55
bobandag, did that car run on aviation fuel? Was that the "duck egg blue one" with wings or the biscuit coloured 1100?
the duck egg blue was hawaia blue . did thurso to london in aday.

brokencross
14-May-08, 07:20
Many thanks for all those responses. I'll allow 6 hours.
Now got to convince my OH that it is worth a visit, she is the non-Wicker; she has been up a couple of times and did enjoy the whole Caithness experience.

Riffman
14-May-08, 18:21
I would allow at least 7 hours, there is enough roadworks to be annoying.

Better to arrive early.