PDA

View Full Version : Chicken

porshiepoo
11-May-08, 10:00
We're looking into getting chickens for eggs and for the table but haven't a clue where to start. Any ideas?
What breed of chicken should we be looking for? Is there anyone in Caithness that sells Chicken for this purpose?

Cheers

Torvaig
11-May-08, 10:35
Good luck with your idea; it would be great to know where our chicken comes from; I wish you well.

Dog-eared
11-May-08, 14:49
I'm no expert, but some basics are -

You can buy chicken sheds on the net, or have one made locally. The best thing is buy a shed and put nesting boxes in it. That way theres plenty of room for you as well as the chooks, for cleaning out the old woodshavings and collecting eggs.

Put a separate inner mesh door inside the main door for ventilation and security. Latch main door back to a post during daytime.
Also enough space for a water container , grit container and feed hopper, although they like some food thrown out on the ground as well.
They can get through a surprising amount of water.

Free range is best with outside access from a foxproof run for when your'e away for a couple of days- just shut the runs' hatch to the outside, and stock them up with grub & water.
As you'll find out when reading up , they need perches, also dont have them in the same closed off run all the time, it gives them bad feet and legs, plus worms.

The library has Chook - books.

Also "poultry keeper " magazine in local shops.

The farmers supplies by Richards garage in Thurso does cheap equipment and layers pellets.

Different laying breeds are available from Mr Grogan at Spittal, @ £7 each , he's got a website too. 01847 841 242

ISA Brown pullets are cheaper ( STD battery type but good layers ) from A Fraser
01381 621 069

Or Allans of Gillock for ISA's

I don't know about eating sized breeds but am considering getting some later.

Dont forget, if you have 6 chooks that's 5 eggs a day on average, which is just about 3 dozen a week.

Also you dont need a Cockerel to get eggs ( this surprised a couple of visitors !! )........;):D

http://www.lowimpact.org/factsheetpoultry.pdf

http://www.omlet.co.uk/homepage/homepage.php

Sapphire2803
11-May-08, 17:03
I got mine from Allans at Gillock, our eggs are humungous!! we have trouble fitting them in egg boxes. We've not had any trouble from foxes (touch wood) and our hens idea of free range is to wander off into neighbouring fields and up and down the road :roll: Maybe our dogs discourage the foxes, who knows.
We feed them layers pellets from Geddes in Wick, pets at home sell it too, but I wasn't as pleased with the quality. Although we have built a henhouse our hens tend to just pick their favourite shed and sleep in it. We live in an old croft, so they have a fair choice.
I think the hens were about £4.50 each from Allans and they advertise in the paper when they're getting some in, or you can obviously ring and ask.

steale
18-May-08, 21:29
hi depends on what sort of hens you are looking for for rare breeds and lots of info mick grogan at spittal website groganonline.com is your man he will tell you what is best for your needs and put you on right track eggs marans lay very brown eggs if thats what you want allans hens are cheaper but you get what you pay for not good quality

henry20
18-May-08, 22:55
Allans of Gillock sell Lohman Browns - unless that has changed recently.

They are a common breed of hens used in the poultry industry as they have a high production of eggs within the year. Although they will lay eggs for years (just ask emszxr, she's still got some on the go from years ago) the poultry industry only use them for 1 year.

I believe both Armitage and Halkirk use Lohman Browns and both eggs have been highly recommended on the org.

angie.a
18-May-08, 23:00
dorking or maran are good layers also good eating birds. If you can get your hands on buff-orpington and cross it with the dorking then you've got a real fat bird! I have some dorkings at 4weeks old and also some marans, at the same age, if you need a start but your best man to speak to is Mick Grogan, he's really helpfull and always has chicks available and what he doesn't know about hens isn't worth knowing, forget all your books they all give different advice, Mick's your man.