PDA

View Full Version : things to do

Ash
11-May-08, 08:42
after someone posting about the castle of mey and the petting zoe, which i didnt know existed..... what other things are there to do up here, im fed up of there being nothing to do with my wee girls so we are planning the castle of mey, even day trips on train to helmsdale or golspie, help and ideas for cheap fun things to do ?

joxville
11-May-08, 09:57
petting zoe, which i didnt know existed

I didn't know petting zoe was allowed but tell me where she is, I've got plenty of free time.:D:D

sjr014
11-May-08, 10:43
Well what age are your children??

I used to be a childminder and always found loads to do, and on the cheap! Children used to love going to rock pools fishing or to Reiss Beach!! Broadhaven to feed the ducks! Bikes and cycle up the riverside, Swing parks! Ronaldsons farm used to have a viewing gallery that you could watch the cows being milked, not sure if they still do it as they don't deliver milk locally anymore. Trampolines and crazy golf! Newton community woodland or Dunnet Forrest. Camster Cairns, There is a lovely walk in Golspie if you have transport great for a sunday run, its the big burn walk just past Dunrobin Castle, children love it! I used to find no matter what you did children always enjoyed it all the more if you got actively involved as well. Just a few suggestions!

The train is fun but quite expensive, i took children a few times up to thurso on the train and found that quite expensive for fares and for all the distance!

Dog-eared
11-May-08, 14:09
Golspie has -
Dunrobin Castle, which is very fairy - tale, admission probably costs one adult ticket , bairns free ?.
A beach.
The Orcadian Stone Company rock shop geological display-lots of colourful crystals & stuff - free with a very interesting and enthusiastic female owner. This is a big display with a wee shop.
Big Burn Walk - interesting natural forest with waterfalls and gorges. Good path.
Toilets by the carpark in the village.
A coffee shop.
Ben Braggie Footpath, goes to "The Mannie " statue on hill but good views from part way up.
A Karting track for proper racing events.
Chipshop and Chinese.

:D

cazmanian_minx
11-May-08, 18:59
Ranger walks? There are loads coming up over the summer, lots of them especially for children or families, and they're either free or ask for small donations.

Full schedule here:

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/0B5CC572-CA4A-48D2-8056-F958C4EAD928/0/CaithnessandSutherland2008.pdf

newpark
11-May-08, 20:04
Not sure if this is the sort of thing you were thinking of but on a Friday in the Boys Brigade Hall in Thurso there is a messy play session.

The first session is free then £2.50 per session after that. Open Friday 10am - 11.30am and then in the afternoon from 1pm - 2.30pm.

There are various things to do: Painting, Playdoh, Water play, Sand play, crafts etc.

Parents accompany the children and join in the activites.

ashaw1
11-May-08, 21:46
Not sure if this is the sort of thing you were thinking of but on a Friday in the Boys Brigade Hall in Thurso there is a messy play session.

The first session is free then £2.50 per session after that. Open Friday 10am - 11.30am and then in the afternoon from 1pm - 2.30pm.

There are various things to do: Painting, Playdoh, Water play, Sand play, crafts etc.

That sounds good, any idea what age this is suitable for?

Tristan
11-May-08, 22:20
Over the summer the ranger service runs the Critter Club but there is often a waiting list.
In addition there are other clubs over the summer run by some of the churches.
There is also or was a library club over the summer.
Speaking of the library there are often different activities posted there.
Not to mention Forsinard often has a fun day.

padfoot
16-May-08, 01:24
there used to b an ostich farm i went to wen i was little not sure if its still there anymore tho

groatsgirl
18-May-08, 01:00
I work at the animal centre,the sign on the gate says petting zoe is strictly forbidden !! My name really is zoe, do come along and pet the lambs, donkey and all the other lovely animals there but not me :)

I didn't know petting zoe was allowed but tell me where she is, I've got plenty of free time.:D:D

Kismet
18-May-08, 01:30

I presume as it is on a school day it is preschool children, we have a two and three year old who would love this thanx xXx

One is called Zoe hands off lol

balto
18-May-08, 14:14
I presume as it is on a school day it is preschool children, we have a two and three year old who would love this thanx xXx

One is called Zoe hands off lol
i went along with a few of my mates on the 1st day it opened, and we had all left before the end, there was nothing strucured for the kids to do, just make their way round tables(which werent child size), the time was to long for kids that age, plus the price 2.50 bit extreme to be honest.

Kismet
18-May-08, 15:22
i went along with a few of my mates on the 1st day it opened, and we had all left before the end, there was nothing strucured for the kids to do, just make their way round tables(which werent child size), the time was to long for kids that age, plus the price 2.50 bit extreme to be honest.

Oh dear that's a shame it sounded like a really good idea, maybe go to first free one and see if anything has improved :(