PDA

View Full Version : Panther Sighting?

Tilter
10-May-08, 23:00
Any Orgers seen a panther in Caithness lately?

I didn't pay much heed to these reports until yesterday evening when OH came home saying he'd seen a melanistic panther (Halkirk area, still light but coming on dusk) streaking across the road 30 feet from him. Not a man given to flights of fancy and certainly no zoologist, but the animal was the right height for a panther and had a metre-long tail. The tail is what impressed him, and no British mammal I can think of has a 3 foot long tail.

People always say of these things - oh, it was a big moggy, but no way. I think it's quite likely, and there are plenty roe deer in the area to prey on. Plus Britain has many introduced and non-native species now living wild.

Comments please?

fingalmacool
10-May-08, 23:25
Yep count me in, several years ago in the Bilbster area fishing, seen a herd of stirks/calf's chasing what i can only discribe as a panther like cat. I was struck by the way the cat was running away with its tail swishing underneath its body while it was looking back to see the stampede as it were. I also had the privilage of comming face to face with a wildcat in and around the same area, it's the first time i have seen a cat dive into the water and only surface when it got to the other side, still gobsmacked when i think about it.

Tilter
10-May-08, 23:30
Yep count me in, several years ago in the Bilbster area fishing, seen a herd of stirks/calf's chasing what i can only discribe as a panther like cat. I was struck by the way the cat was running away with its tail swishing underneath its body while it was looking back to see the stampede as it were. I also had the privilage of comming face to face with a wildcat in and around the same area, it's the first time i have seen a cat dive into the water and only surface when it got to the other side, still gobsmacked when i think about it.

Thanks Fingalmacool. I can see how a bunch of mad stirks would chase off a big cat.

The Swimming Cat - do you mean a proper Scottish Wildcat? Interesting if they're around Bilbster. I thought they were only in more remote areas - Cairngorms and such.

joxville
10-May-08, 23:59
I don't wish to doubt that these sighting's are genuine, I do believe that there must be wild animals on the loose in the UK, but for all these cases there never seems to be a farmer claiming to have lost livestock so what/where are the animals eating?

Tilter
11-May-08, 00:08
I don't wish to doubt that these sighting's are genuine, I do believe that there must be wild animals on the loose in the UK, but for all these cases there never seems to be a farmer claiming to have lost livestock so what/where are the animals eating?
I've wondered that too Joxville. Roe deer? Rabbits? I really don't know. I would have thought lambs would be easy pickings - but you could blame foxes for that maybe.

porshiepoo
11-May-08, 10:25
I believe alot of big cats were released by owners when the Law changed and prevented people from keeping them. We'd be ignorant to think that these animals have failed to survive and flourish.
There's been reports of Big Cats in the lybster area and I have no doubt that they're around here, the terrain is perfect for them.

Tilter, try this link and maybe report the sighting. :)
Hope I'm lucky enough to spot one one day.

http://www.scottishbigcats.co.uk/index2.htm

veekay
11-May-08, 10:48
I always poo pooed the 'big cat sightings' thought they were 70 shilling views but a few years ago I saw one of them myself and I know I hadn't touched a drop. Definately big black and cat like definately not domestic moggy. Other half still laughs at me but I know what I saw

Torvaig
11-May-08, 10:55
I always poo pooed the 'big cat sightings' thought they were 70 shilling views but a few years ago I saw one of them myself and I know I hadn't touched a drop. Definately big black and cat like definately not domestic moggy. Other half still laughs at me but I know what I saw

And I've seen a wildcat which had been shot by a neighbouring farmer (in Bower) at lambing time.....

ciderally
11-May-08, 11:08
these reports are up and down the UK...and they cant all be wrong...some big beast's out thare me thinks...

Kevin Milkins
11-May-08, 12:17
Have not had the privalige to see a big cat ,But my wife and I saw a Scottish Wild Cat last year on the south side of Dunbeath.

DeHaviLand
11-May-08, 12:32
Wasn't there a big cat sighting at Noss last year? I'm sure I read something in the Groat about it.

Scunner
11-May-08, 12:59
The Halkirk big cat was out practising for the Sunset Walk:lol:

Dog-eared
11-May-08, 13:47
There's a stuffed big black cat in Inverness museum. It was living in the Highlands .

unicorn
11-May-08, 14:17
I think there have been too many sightings for it to be nothing. My grandad told me that in the 70's when there was a big scare he was far up the river shooting and there had been snow and he saw unusual tracks that he followed and he swore it led to a panther and I believe him I also asked him why he didn't kill it as he had his gun with him, he just said it was not bothering him and was just trying to live. I would agree with that decision as there have been so many sightings over the years yet although people have been given a fright nobody has ever been threatened by one that I am aware of.

northener
11-May-08, 15:38
There's a lot of wolves been spotted in Wick recently.

Uh....hang on.....I've just been told they're husky dogs:(

scorrie
11-May-08, 15:48
I saw a big cat near Halkirk in the mid 80's. The way it ran and the length of the tail were what caught my eye when I gazed out of the bus window onto an adjacent field. The cat was heading for the cover of some trees at high speed and had colouration similar to a Puma. Definitely NOT a Wild Cat and the strangest animal I have seen outside of a zoo (or pub)

TBH
11-May-08, 15:53
There are a lot of sightings of bigfoot, doesn't mean they are real.
Keep an open eye, I think there are some haggis running wild in the clyth area.

scorrie
11-May-08, 16:06

It's not really the same. We know that such cats exist, making it much more feasible than Bigfoot.

Wait, hold the press. Here is the proof that big foot also exists:-

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://mallorcaphotoblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/little_feet.jpg&imgrefurl=http://mallorcaphotoblog.wordpress.com/2007/10/17/little-feet/&h=375&w=500&sz=73&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=mJyY5MYpoFpnCM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbig%2Bfeet%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26clien t%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26sa%3DG

Cue the X-files music ;)

the_count
11-May-08, 22:34

Nooo its not clyth, is the other side of lybster, we saw a small herd of haggis (left hand haggis, nt the common right handers)
hmmm big black cats ..... i'm waitng for a picture to appear preferable against roadsign so we can see where it is ........ any takers??

Riffman
11-May-08, 23:51
There is a proper scottish wildcat that live in the greenland / bower area, been seen on a few farms out there. Does no harm so no one bothers it.

fingalmacool
12-May-08, 00:21
Thanks Fingalmacool. I can see how a bunch of mad stirks would chase off a big cat.

The Swimming Cat - do you mean a proper Scottish Wildcat? Interesting if they're around Bilbster. I thought they were only in more remote areas - Cairngorms and such.

Was dragged up in and around gillies and gamekeepers and seen enough wildcats strung up on gamskeepers fences to make a mistake, as for the numties who poopoo such sightings, methinks they spend too much time on their playstations and nintendo's.:roll:

TBH
12-May-08, 01:02
Was dragged up in and around gillies and gamekeepers and seen enough wildcats strung up on gamskeepers fences to make a mistake, as for the numties who poopoo such sightings, methinks they spend too much time on their playstations and nintendo's.:roll:Here's a rhetorical question. Have you got any concrete proof?
I think you had better get evidence of your beliefs before you start calling people that "poopoo" sightings, numpties. Show us your evidence, I dare you.[lol]

TBH
12-May-08, 01:04
Nooo its not clyth, is the other side of lybster, we saw a small herd of haggis (left hand haggis, nt the common right handers)
hmmm big black cats ..... i'm waitng for a picture to appear preferable against roadsign so we can see where it is ........ any takers??You actually saw a herd of left handed haggis?:eek: You are extremely lucky to have had that privilege as they are the most elusive creatures in Scotland, unfortunately, there will be no clamour to provide photographic evidence of the lesser spotted melanistic panther.[lol]

fingalmacool
12-May-08, 12:24
Here's a rhetorical question. Have you got any concrete proof?
I think you had better get evidence of your beliefs before you start calling people that "poopoo" sightings, numpties. Show us your evidence, I dare you.[lol]

It seems that we are once again retreating back to the playground, but if you like i will draw a picture for you and if your really lucky i might colour it in for you, would that be helpful. ;)

TBH
12-May-08, 12:32
It seems that we are once again retreating back to the playground, but if you like i will draw a picture for you and if your really lucky i might colour it in for you, would that be helpful. ;)Nothing wrong with your inner child surfacing once in a while.:D The picture is a great idea, and if you could colour it in for me that would be absolutely spiffing, cheers.:lol:

katarina
12-May-08, 13:24
You actually saw a herd of left handed haggis?:eek: You are extremely lucky to have had that privilege as they are the most elusive creatures in Scotland, unfortunately, there will be no clamour to provide photographic evidence of the lesser spotted melanistic panther.[lol]

Well some people have spotted the elusive haggis.
http://haggishunt.scotsman.com/

TBH
12-May-08, 13:44
Well some people have spotted the elusive haggis.
http://haggishunt.scotsman.com/Thanks Katerina, brilliant site with lots of good information. I always believed that they had long legs on one side of the body, short legs on the other but according to the site, this was just an urban myth.

Hibeechick
12-May-08, 14:10

I saw a panther once, ran across the road right infront of me and oncoming traffic. Wasn't much chance of being able to take a picture of it!

chrisoldfreechurchmanse
12-May-08, 14:50
Yeah, I live at Brabsterdorran and have regularly seen a "proper wildcat" nearby however around a month ago I also saw what I thought to be a panther type at behind in the filed behind the house - they don't "move" in the same way as a normal moggy quite apart from being tthree times the size!!!

TBH
12-May-08, 15:44
I saw a panther once, ran across the road right infront of me and oncoming traffic. Wasn't much chance of being able to take a picture of it!Maybe it was a cheetah.

Hibeechick
12-May-08, 16:31
Not unless it was wearing a black disguise.

porshiepoo
12-May-08, 16:42
All this talk of Haggis sightings leaves me needing to confess to something, as embarrassing as it is!
Many years ago my husband and I were holidaying in Fort William and on our way into town we spotted a dead animal at the side of the road. Not sure what it was though.
When we were in a pub waiting for dinner I read one of the dinner mats - it was all about Haggis and its animal appearance and how Scots shoot them with Dum Dum guns but are usually too drunk to hit them. The guns are usually bent in the middle to make up for the drunken scotsman aim. The story was hilarious but I must have believed it for a matter of minutes cos I turned round to my husband and said "That was what was dead on the side of the road". :eek: with so much conviction - and very loudly.
Well, my husband didn't know whether to laugh or panic! God I was so embarrassed. :lol:

The pub was in the middle of Fort William town and did the most amazing home cooked meals. Does anyone know of a link to that little story on those place mats?

balto
12-May-08, 21:14
there must be something in this, as all the people that claimed to have seen it cant be wrong, and there are sightings all over the place, so i for one think there is something in it.

Julia
12-May-08, 23:28
There's a miniature black panther that lives next door to me, long tail, glossy coat, green eyes, if I could find some binoculars it would look about the size of a regular panther. [lol]

elamanya
13-May-08, 10:14
all black.... moves stealthily...... yup a cheetah.... latin name ...
scottishrefereus

TBH
13-May-08, 11:17
all black.... moves stealthily...... yup a cheetah.... latin name ...
scottishrefereusMaybe it's a melanistic cheetah.

Tilter
13-May-08, 19:52

Very hard for anyone to get concrete proof I would think TBH. My husband was (a) not in the least expecting to see a large animal, panther or otherwise, in the road, (b) driving, (c) not in possession of a camera, and (d) the animal streaked across the road and did not stop for a photo shoot. This is probably what happens to most people who believe they've seen a panther, hence never any concrete proof.

I'm not calling you a numptie - I haven't seen one myself and so can't judge. I know they're capable of living in this climate, are shy beasts, and there's plenty room for them, and my husband and many others believe they've seen one. But I don't know. I think it's possible and even probable. Lots of budgies and parakeets now live in the wild down south, as do mink etc. A grey squirrel was once an escapee and a rarity, and now look.

Kismet
13-May-08, 19:59
I seem to remember seeing summit on the news years ago where they had trappedwhat was called the real scottish wildcat, black and extremely wild looking and not often seen, am sure they were slightly biggerthan wildcats and were said to have been to blame for panther sightings cos they were larger than normal cats and although not as big as panthers would always be seen in the distance and briefly so easy for people who are spooked by sighting to think so

Tilter
13-May-08, 20:06
I seem to remember seeing summit on the news years ago where they had trappedwhat was called the real scottish wildcat, black and extremely wild looking and not often seen, am sure they were slightly biggerthan wildcats and were said to have been to blame for panther sightings cos they were larger than normal cats and although not as big as panthers would always be seen in the distance and briefly so easy for people who are spooked by sighting to think so
The only place I've ever seen Scottish wildcats was (don't laugh) in the San Diego Zoo in California - they were very small compared to the panthers (seen at same place!).

Kismet
13-May-08, 20:30
They were not that big I will have to ask my mum am sure they were trapped up here somwhere and am sure was her I was watching this with or I may be wrong but she will put me right. I thought was someone up here complaining about chickens or summit being attacked and the cats were trapped remember seeing couple of cats in a caged enclosure and not very happy about it at all lol Perhaps was not up here but I am linking it with stories from up here at the same time :)

joxville
13-May-08, 23:00
(d) the animal streaked across the road and did not stop for a photo shoot.

Couldn't help but laugh at that.:D:D:D