PDA

View Full Version : Old London (?) Asylum

Fluff
10-May-08, 22:24
There used to be a mental asylum in London ( i think) that is now used as a common word for 'madness' or insanity. For the life of me I cannot remember it, but it is on the tip of my tongue.
Can anyone help me and remember what it was called?

thanks

golach
10-May-08, 22:26
There used to be a mental asylum in London ( i think) that is now used as a common word for 'madness' or insanity. For the life of me I cannot remember it, but it is on the tip of my tongue.

thanks
Bedlam I think it was called

nightowl
10-May-08, 22:26
Bedlam, Maybe?

badger
10-May-08, 22:27
Bedlam ? Although closer meaning is chaos rather than insanity.

brandy
10-May-08, 22:28
yup def. bedlam and im living in it! *grins* cant help it, 2 kids insane dog, gerbils, cat fish bird husband ... can it get any better? *laughs*

ciderally
10-May-08, 22:35
Bethlem Royal Hospital (Bedlam) was the first known psychiatric hospital in Europe, founded in London (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London) in 1247 and by 1403, had begun accepting social outcasts, the "crazy people", "lunatics" and those who just couldn't stay hidden in society anymore. It soon became infamous for its cruel treatment of the insane, and in the 18th century would have outsiders pay a penny to come and watch their patients as a form of torturous entertainment. In 1700 it is recorded that the "lunatics" were called "patients" for the first time, and within twenty years separate wards for the "curable" and "incurable" patients had been established. Mental illness was now no longer an affliction, but a disease, to be diagnosed and potentially cured.

Fluff
10-May-08, 22:58
Thats it! i knew i knew it. thanks all :)

joxville
11-May-08, 00:12

thanks

It's now been replaced by the Scottish Parliament.:D

Moi x
11-May-08, 00:29
Bedlam (http://www.bedlamtheatre.co.uk/) is a theatre in Edinburgh. It was my second home in my student days.

Moi x

scorrie
11-May-08, 15:38
I first realised that Bedlam was named after an asylum when I saw an old black and white film, starring Boris Karloff, with the same name. I think the Imperial War Museum now stands around about where Bedlam Asylum used to be.

When I was at school in the 70's, the term "Craigers" was used locally to descibe people considered to be in need of a trip to the Inverness based mental facility Craig Dunain. I don't think it ever made the OED though!!