PDA

View Full Version : Bottlenose Dolphin 10-5-08

Seabird
10-May-08, 19:45
I saw a Bottlenose Dolphin leaping at the Whaligoe steps today at 13.08.
The Dolphin leapt 4 time at speed and then just vanished.
It was heading Northward.

Kas also saw 3 Dolphins in Thurso Bay, but could not identify the species because they were either heading towards her or away so not presenting a profile.

Colin

Seabird
25-Jun-08, 21:39
6 Bottlenose were seen by the North Coast Explorer while on a private Charter off Duncansby Head.
They swam along side the rib and and bow rode for a time, there was also some breaching.

Colin

Seabird
16-Aug-08, 10:56
The resent sightings of Bottlenose Dolphins near Wick Harbour are of interest for several reasons.
1. Their origin, (Atlantic or Moray Firth) ?
2. Where they feeding.? (dolphins do play after feeding)
3. Are they a break away group from a larger family group ?
I'm sure the scientist from Aberdeen University would come up with a lot more questions.

Question 1 can be answered by viewing pictures taken of the Dolphins.
I've seen pictures taken by Fergus Mather in the local paper.
Unfortunately news paper pics lack the detail required for identification.
I would appreciate Fergus sending me any good clear shot of any dorsal fins that i could send off to find out if these Dolphins have an ID name or number.
If anyone was able to get some pictures that may give the information required i would be most greatful if they would e-mail them to me.

colinb51@aol.com

Colin Bird
Seawatch Area co-ordinator.
NE Scotland.

Seabird
20-Aug-08, 18:27
I've now spoken to Fergus and to Robbie who both saw the Dolphins in the Wick estuary.
It seems the Dolphins numbering between 5 and 6 arrived with the Dredger Shearwater.
I'm not 100% certain where the Shearwater arrived from, but i was told it belong to the Highland Coucil so i suspect it came from Inverness.
It seems the Dolphins followed the dredger to Wick from the other side of the Moray Firth.
Robbie said " The dolphins were attracted to the dredger and would rush across when ever it's engines started and would spend time circling the boat"
I've seen the very good pictures taken by Fergus and they do show some dorsal features that will allow for an ID.
Fergus said he would e-mail me a copy to send to Charlie Phillips Field Officer for the W.D.C.S so the dolphins can be named.
Fergus and his wife Sheila saw the dolphins on the 4th 6th and 7th.
My thanks to Fergus, Sheila and Robbie for their help.

Colin
Sea watch Foundation
coordinator NE Scotland

the_count
20-Aug-08, 23:50
was doing a course in the seamans rest on that day and saw them quite close up (went for a walk down to the lighthouse at the end of the wall) and managed to get a few shots
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll318/countlicker/animals/P1060289.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll318/countlicker/animals/P1060227.jpg

Seabird
24-Aug-08, 11:11
Thanks count.
Have you the original of the Dorsal fin pic.
It's over enlarged on the screene and the details are lost.
If you have can you e-mail it to me as an attachment.

Many Thanks

Colin

the_count
24-Aug-08, 12:22
that is the original colin lol it was that close :D if the wall there had been lower we could have touched them (there were 3) :lol:

Seabird
24-Aug-08, 17:34
that is the original colin lol it was that close :D if the wall there had been lower we could have touched them (there were 3) :lol:

I've forwarded your pics to Charlie Phillips field officer for WDCS.
If he comes back with a name i'll post it.

Colin