PDA

View Full Version : What would you have for Xmas Dinner?

dragonfly
21-Nov-05, 20:22
if turkeys are off the Xmas day menu because of bird flu, what would you have instead??

I would love to do a vegetarian menu but the men in my life would leave home..............hmmm now theres a thought! :rolleyes:

lassieinfife
21-Nov-05, 20:30
Would rather have steak than turkey .......... as a hospital cook i will see more than enough of it ............ yuck !!!!!!:p

William
21-Nov-05, 20:31
I recon turkey for xmas dinner should be replaced with some thing delicious like Macaroni Cheese lol that would be ace

Macaroni Cheese roast potatoes and sausages with bacon on.

Followed by trifle with no fruit

That would be the best xmas dinner ever in my book

Naefearjustbeer
21-Nov-05, 20:36
Havent had a turkey dinner for years, we always have fillet steak, onions and chips followed by pavlova.

lassieinfife
21-Nov-05, 20:48
Home made Pavlova or bought?:)

golach
21-Nov-05, 20:52
Im not a fan of Turkey either, I would perfer a Capon......but the EEC has banned them a long time ago, may try a small Duck this year, and dont come near me with "Brussels Sprouts" I canna stand the things

lassieinfife
21-Nov-05, 21:07
awwwwwwwww you gotta have sprouts and carrots to go with roast and creamed tatties:p

Colin Manson
21-Nov-05, 21:21
This year it's going to be Hallacas :)

and just incase you're :confused:

http://www.lapaella.co.uk/culture/hallaca.html

Cheers
Colin

Naefearjustbeer
21-Nov-05, 21:35
Home made Pavlova or bought?:)

We buy it as I have never had much success in the kitchen with meringue. :( I do normally try to cook as much myself rather than mass produced stuff. local produce is so much better for cooking with.

phoenix
21-Nov-05, 21:58
Pate for starters..........Venison done in a wine sauce with sprouts and carrotts and roast tatties........finnished of with a chocolate roulade or something just as sickly...........a nice cup of gaelic coffee and some after dinner mints........mmmhhhhh!

cezzy1234
21-Nov-05, 22:22
hi i doing a sasage meat loaf it is verry nice and with the stuffing mixed in you dont have to bother with a lot of stuff its really easy to make to.

dragonfly
21-Nov-05, 22:23
some interesting ideas there, and as lassieinfife says you have to have sprouts and carrots on the menu, even with Williams macaroni cheese ;)

Colin, the hallacas could be a problem, where locally can you buy indigenous bananas leaves?? hard enough to get run of the mill stuff locally! :confused:
not keen on game so wouldn't go for venison or even duck

Colin Manson
21-Nov-05, 22:43
I order the precooked corn flour and plantain leaves from the website that I linked. After that I sit back and do some work on the PC while they are being made. :p

dragonfly
21-Nov-05, 22:52
haha, spoilt the image I had of you rummaging around in the banana boxes in Lidls looking for the leaves!

lassieinfife
21-Nov-05, 23:20
We buy it as I have never had much success in the kitchen with meringue. :( I do normally try to cook as much myself rather than mass produced stuff. local produce is so much better for cooking with.

just buy the meringue case . whip double cream with a few drops of vanilla essence and teaspoon caster sugar then fold in some cointreau and fruit of chiose .............. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

lassieinfife
21-Nov-05, 23:25
My choise,,,,,,,,,,,,,, rough farmhouse pate with oatcakes,steak with caramelised onions,carrots n sprouts[coz i love them]roast and creamed potatoes and a rich gravy,anything chocolate to finish ......... heaven and will have diet irn bru to was it all down ................ diabetic see, hope the prof never reads this board heheheh

Sporran
22-Nov-05, 18:42
If I wasn't having turkey for Christmas dinner, then I'd cook roast beef, preferably a sirloin roast. We'd have gravy to go with it, of course, as well as mashed tatties, peas and baby carrots. I'd probably saute some baby Portobello mushrooms as well. This would all be washed down with some red wine -- perhaps a nice Chianti or Cabernet Sauvignon. Then for dessert we'd have pumpkin pie or apple pie a la mode. :)

Sporran
22-Nov-05, 18:42
I'm deleting this post, as I'd accidentally submitted the one above twice!

squidge
23-Nov-05, 13:59
We are having home made farmhouse pate to start with french toast and oatcakes

Turkey stuffing roast and mashed potatoes, neeps green beans ( cos i love them ) carrots, sausages in bacon, gravy

Christmas pudding with brandy cream or squidgey chocolate log.

I have cookded a huge beef wellington for xmas dinner before but the world and his wife like turkey at our house

yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Rheghead
23-Nov-05, 14:07
We are having stuffed mushrooms, homemade nutloaf with cranberry sauce, roast potatoes, steamed veg, and xmas pudding with custard.

Moira
23-Nov-05, 14:13
if turkeys are off the Xmas day menu because of bird flu, what would you have instead??

I would love to do a vegetarian menu but the men in my life would leave home..............hmmm now theres a thought! :rolleyes:

Christmas without turkey would be unthinkable :(

Sounds like I'll be going to Squidge's house - she's got it all sorted to perfection for me. I'll make the trifle - I enjoy a glass of sherry - just to test it, you understand - while I'm making it (hic)

jay
23-Nov-05, 14:15
Phoenix - how can you have roast rudolph for christmas dinner!!

RandomHero
23-Nov-05, 14:54
If poultrey was off the menu, i'd have nice piece of Roast Beef.

willowbankbear
23-Nov-05, 15:07
Do you mean anything? Well id eat fresh haddock & chips, Coz I love it and dont get it very often. But if ye want a change this year, the Balti hoose is open xmas day-good pizza mmmmmm, so are all the chinese places so youve got a choice folks:D

lassieinfife
24-Nov-05, 14:28
Since I am duty cook Christmas Day it will hospital leftovers for me:( ...... home in time just to miss Queens speach ............:D