PDA

View Full Version : What a shock!

Geo
09-May-08, 22:11
I was in Golspie today eating lunch in the carpark by the seashore. Two young schoolkids about 10 years old walked by with their lunch, just bought from the local shop. They unpacked said lunch and made a beeline for a big wheelie bin where they deposited the bags before wandering off with their grub. Too often you see the remains of lunch lying on the ground.

Well done to them both. A credit to themselves and their parents.

ciderally
09-May-08, 22:14
nice to see is'ent it .....

percy toboggan
09-May-08, 22:17
So now we're congratulating kids on using the bins provided.

How far have we sunk as a society ?....as one who often picks up other people's litter around my home I know only too well....fair play to these 10 year olds...they obviously have a sense of civic pride about them...whether or not it's unusual enough to be worthy of ironic celebration I'm not sure.

I'm envious Geo...I ate my lunch on Bredbury Industrial Estate. ;-)

MadPict
09-May-08, 22:32
Too often you see the remains of lunch lying on the ground.

Maybe they were being congratulated for just eating their lunch?...

Ash
09-May-08, 22:35
i think he means that after the beach thread not all kids throw there litter on the ground, some people tar all kids with the same brush

TBH
09-May-08, 22:41
Why congratulate expected behaviour?

Kevin Milkins
09-May-08, 22:42
It does restore your faith in human nature when see what you would hope for from all youngsters.

Metalattakk
09-May-08, 22:44
Why congratulate expected behaviour?

I suspect some sort of level of irony was involved on behalf of the original poster. ;)

TBH
10-May-08, 00:09
I suspect some sort of level of irony was involved on behalf of the original poster. ;)It could be sarcasm?

Metalattakk
10-May-08, 01:18
Yes, it most likely is. Would be able to confirm if it wasn't for my drunawk dfinggers.

It's Friday night after all...

Geo
10-May-08, 13:27
I wasn't being sarcastic or ironic. When you see the state that Wick can end up sometimes after lunchtime I was actually impressed that these two younsters went out of their way to find a bin. The fact they were doing what they should do does not change the fact that so many don't do it and hence it stood out. It's sad that such things do stand out of course when they should be the norm.

katarina
10-May-08, 13:41

How far have we sunk as a society ?....as one who often picks up other people's litter around my home I know only too well....fair play to these 10 year olds...they obviously have a sense of civic pride about them...whether or not it's unusual enough to be worthy of ironic celebration I'm not sure.

I'm envious Geo...I ate my lunch on Bredbury Industrial Estate. ;-)

Actually, I think if we praised kids for doing what they should instead of ignoring it and dwelling on the ones who do what they shouldn't, we might have a better soxciety.

Tighsonas4
11-May-08, 12:52
get a bit confusedwith this at times. couldnt get in my front gate last night for dogs dirt.
but thats not the issue here it seems by this that kids are damned if they do and also if they dont give credit where credit is due tony

horseman
12-May-08, 08:51
imho, a fine bright positive post -got the arse dragged out of it !Make up your own mind who was there.

rfr10
12-May-08, 17:22
Can I just highlight that it is most certainly not only young people who drop litter on the ground. If you took a group of 800 adults, put them in a school and let them out for lunch, I can guarantee you'd see just as much a mess. It is only the minority of teenagers who will dispose of rubbish inappropriately and the same goes for adults. I have noticed the word "youngsters" too much in this thread as a description of who is dropping the litter. Everyone is exactly the same, regardless of your age group.

I expect the original poster was congratulating the young peorson to encourage all other young people to do the same.

Yes, a lot of litter is dropped by teenagers during lunch time at school but they are not the main contributers to the tonnes of rubbish dropped eveyday.

Geo
12-May-08, 17:39
I expect the original poster was congratulating the young peorson to encourage all other young people to do the same.

I posted it to congratulate the two young lads' attitude. Nothing more, nothing less. I was not saying young people are the only ones who drop litter. I've seen adults in Wick dump chip papers, paper cups and all onto the road out the window of their car, the middle of the lane it was too.

In this instance it was a couple of youngsters doing the right thing and I thought it deserved a mention.

</the end>

rfr10
12-May-08, 20:28
I posted it to congratulate the two young lads' attitude. Nothing more, nothing less. I was not saying young people are the only ones who drop litter. I've seen adults in Wick dump chip papers, paper cups and all onto the road out the window of their car, the middle of the lane it was too.

In this instance it was a couple of youngsters doing the right thing and I thought it deserved a mention.

</the end>

Oh no, sorry, I wasn't aiming what I said at you, it was some of the others :).

balto
12-May-08, 21:06
nice to see them tidying up after themselves, a lot of young people get treated so unfairly, glad to see some decent young boys doing theri bit to keep the streets clean, if only more would follow their example.

Geo
12-May-08, 22:36
Oh no, sorry, I wasn't aiming what I said at you, it was some of the others :).

No problem! :)

ywindythesecond
12-May-08, 23:22

</the end>

I know what you ment Geo. Well said.

padfoot
16-May-08, 01:23
yeah i was shocked one day walkin along the bridge in thurso wen a couple of boys went past on bikes and said thank you for moving lol