PDA

View Full Version : Paint disposal?

theone
09-May-08, 21:20
I've got a pile of old half filled paint tins I want rid off.

Does the recycling centre take them?

I assume you're not supposed to dump them to landfill?

Buttercup
09-May-08, 21:25
Can they be recycled? ~ genuine question btw.

theone
09-May-08, 21:27
No, I don't think they can but the recycling centre is used to dispose of harmful substances safely, batteries, fridges etc.

Buttercup
09-May-08, 21:47
Didn't know that, never been there - not through lack of recyclables, just lack of transport.

Karen
09-May-08, 21:55
Why not advertise them on the free section, maybe a community group or school could use them for a project?

ashaw1
09-May-08, 22:53
I've got a pile of old half filled paint tins I want rid off.

Does the recycling centre take them?

I assume you're not supposed to dump them to landfill?
As far as i know you need to take the lids off the paint tins and let them harden completely, then they will take them.

Lady In Bed
10-May-08, 10:03
Schools are always on the lookout for free paint for decorating outside walls. Just drop them off and they will be very thankfull.

badger
10-May-08, 12:55
Schools are always on the lookout for free paint for decorating outside walls. Just drop them off and they will be very thankfull.

Some may be grateful but I do think they should be asked first, otherwise you're just passing the problem on.

Lady In Bed
10-May-08, 13:19
Some may be grateful but I do think they should be asked first, otherwise you're just passing the problem on.

Free paint to a school is a godsend. It saves them having to ask painters like Billy Ross, who is always willing to donate any part pots he has. This hapens with most schools in Thurso. Bower may be different though

MadPict
10-May-08, 14:39
There is a scheme down here somewhere (was on local news) of a 'charity' which takes unused/half used tins of paint and gives it away to schools/playgroups/youth groups/those on low income. They spend the time trying to match colours etc so folk can use as much as possible.

We throw away 1000's of gallons of unused paint every year so finding someone happy to use it saves it all going into the ground...

Julia
10-May-08, 16:04
I noticed that the Home Aid charity shop was selling old tins of paint, maybe they would take them.

Is there anywhere to recycle household batteries up here?