PDA

View Full Version : damage done by suite delivery

elamanya
09-May-08, 20:04
we had a new suite delivered by dfs.. as i was away at the time some one else let them in to the house, after getting the suite up the stairs they discovered it was the wrong one, then they managed to get the right one up the stairs , but the damage to the wallpaper is horrific, i was wondering if any one else has had this problem and what action they took,,,,,

joxville
09-May-08, 20:18
we had a new suite delivered by dfs.. as i was away at the time some one else let them in to the house, after getting the suite up the stairs they discovered it was the wrong one, then they managed to get the right one up the stairs , but the damage to the wallpaper is horrific, i was wondering if any one else has had this problem and what action they took,,,,,

I've found that with damaged wallpaper, depending on severity of the rip, that quite often some glue is all that is needed to put it back in place rather than a total re-decoration. Glue is available from most good hardware shops. Hope this helps.

Bobinovich
09-May-08, 21:07
Firstly I would determine the terms of the delivery - there should be some paperwork available from DFS themselves. Is there a get-out clause which clears them of any responsibility? If so can it be challenged?

Secondly, consider if it is reasonable to assume that the same suite from a different firm would have caused the same damage. Are the stairs narrow or steep making movement & transfer awkward? or were those who did the carrying simply too rough and eager to move on (you will need to confer with the person who let them in and hope they kept a close eye on the proceedings).

If the conclusion is that you have a case then firstly try lodging a claim with DFS for compensation to cover the redecoration. If they refuse then it might be worth pursuing through your own home insurance company - they may be able to exert sufficient pressure on DFS for some sort of settlement which should not affect your no-claims. At the worst your home insurance should pay up but this would probably affect your no-claims and possibly future premiums.

mums angels
09-May-08, 21:15
We had a similar problem with our sofa delivery five years ago .. the delivery men dented the ceiling trying to get it in .. they gave up and left it in garage we complained and were given our delivery charge back and a written apology we were happy with that as the delivery charge more than covered the cost of a bit of filler and paint :)

ciderally
09-May-08, 22:31
when i got mine delivered in cornwall...DFS said it was our responsibilty to make sure there is correct access and to recheck the sizes to the room as it was all down to us... if there was a problem .....but they should have made sure they were taking the correct one up the stair in the first place...so put a complaint in ...

BRIE
10-May-08, 12:01
my sister had a leather suite delivered from DFS & on inspection found it had quite a few nicks in the leather so told them she wasnt accepting delivery but they said they couldnt take it back & she would have to take it up with the store.On complaining to the store they told her they would send someone out to repair it & said they couldnt offer her a replacement! she had to get trading standards involved before they would replace it with a perfect suite.

katarina
10-May-08, 13:46
my sister had a leather suite delivered from DFS & on inspection found it had quite a few nicks in the leather so told them she wasnt accepting delivery but they said they couldnt take it back & she would have to take it up with the store.On complaining to the store they told her they would send someone out to repair it & said they couldnt offer her a replacement! she had to get trading standards involved before they would replace it with a perfect suite.

that's ridiculous! what did she do?

Mik.M.
10-May-08, 17:42
We had 2 sofas from D F S when we lived in London. We had a town house with 3 floors,the living room is on the middle one,the delivery men didn`t want to take it up the stairs. They whinged and moaned but did it eventually. When we came to move out the removal men got them both out without no fuss at all. Seems the D F S men were not as good or careful as the removal men. Complain to the store and don`t stop till you get the result that you want.

BRIE
11-May-08, 15:31
that's ridiculous! what did she do?

she returned the suites & bought from a different company.

padfoot
16-May-08, 01:28
yeah i just got a house not at long ago and i had a double wardrobe goin up the stairs and they wrecked the wall and it couldnt go up the stairs in the end anyways so damage done for nothin [mad]