PDA

View Full Version : Tortoise?

biker5
09-May-08, 19:14
I want a pet tortoise but i have never seen somewhere i can buy 1. any1 have info on where i can get 1 or if it is possible to own 1 these days. thanks.

Buttercup
09-May-08, 22:41
Try doing a google search. I was really keen on one myself and looked into this a while back, but after reading all the bumph decided against it. There's lots of different species and each has a different lifestyle. We had one as bairns ~ they were quite common in those days and were certainly not looked after the way it 's now recommended ie, special vivarium etc ~ come to think of it, that's probably why he's not alive today!:roll: Good luck.

millavilla
10-May-08, 02:13
Hi,You should have a look in the scot-ads,ive seen ones for sale in there a few times

Tilter
11-May-08, 00:53
hi, I think you need to be careful how you obtain it. See http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/resprog/findings/tortoise/index.htm
I believe they are still endangered in California and it's still illegal to take them out of the desert. I remember seeing a crate of them being imported on "Airport" on telly and it was horrid - they were so crammed together and half arrived dead.

HOwever, I have some friends in Kent (very warm) who have had their pet tortoise (her name is Petra) for over 20 years. She is such a pet and so well looked after. She hibernates every winter in a shed and has a special enclosure in the garden in summer. Don't know if they'd survive in Caithness.

helenwyler
11-May-08, 09:49
No advice, Biker, but the very word 'tortoise' still brings on feelings remorse in me!

When I was very young I wanted a chimpanzee for a pet. Parents understandably refused, but offered me a tortoise instead. Now there aren't many obvious similarities between the two, but, being an amenable child, I accepted the offer. I called it Sally, though we were never convinced of her gender.

We lived in a house with a wild and unkempt garden, full of dandelions and clover...perfect! I was allowed to let her roam, under supervision, to take her fill of goodies.

But one day, as I was 'supervising', a friend came to call and we got chatting and larking about...and I forgot all about Sally :eek:. It was a hot day, and they can go at quite a pace in warm weather.

We searched and searched...ours and neighbours' gardens, but never found her. She is quite likely still alive, and being properly cared for.

Be happy, Sally the Tortoise, wherever you are :(.

Kenn
11-May-08, 12:03
Had a tortoise for years, he was aproximately 120yrs old when he finally decided to withdraw into his shell permanently, was like having a mini tank in the garden and he was quite partial to a bare toe in the summer!
They are available from reputable pet shops but are no longer permitted to be imported so you would need to find some one who has access to a breeder. If you are way up north, there will only be a short time each year that it would be possible to have one outside in a garden. The Greek tortoise would most likely be the best to get as they do hibernate and provided they are well insulated will over winter well, other species do not hibernate so you would need a vivarium or similar.
If you are putting one into the garden make sure to check regularly for ticks and also provide a shallow warm bath from time to time.
Good luck in your search they might be a little slow but are good fun to have around and will come to recognise their name when called.

biker5
11-May-08, 16:58
Your help has been gr8 folks!! Dont know if this is a silly question or not, but i hav seen a few breeder sites and they hav ones for sale but mainly in england. Are they postable or do they need collected in person? would a courier take 1? Liz when you speak about over wintering do you mean keeping them from hibernating or not because i am aware that they dont all need to hibernate if in correct climate?

Kenn
11-May-08, 21:29
The Greek tortoise will hibernate , we used to make sure ours had a good body weight and when he got lethargic, place him in a large box packed with hay and then overwrap it with sacking, the box was then placed midway up the shelving in the garage, he would usually be ready for his winter snooze about the first week in October and ready to re-emerge late April.When he first woke up we would bring him into the house and put him in a warm shallow bath then feed him his favourite tit bits until he could safely be returned to the garden.
Other species like The Moroccan do not hibernate so please check carefully with the person you source the creature from.

biker5
25-Jun-08, 20:05
Hey all i finally got a tortoise after a while of reading up all the info and getting an indoor setup ready. He is a baby hermanns and he is only 50mm big and 26 grams so pretty small!!
If the weather would improve a bit i would be able to have him out in the garden which he would much prefer!
Any other tortoise keepers in the caithness area?
Are they out or in just now?

Fantoosh
25-Jun-08, 21:00
aww ace. Bet you are delighted? So did you manage to have him posted? lol. Was he expensive?

biker5
26-Jun-08, 19:27
Yes Believe it or not there are reptile couriers which are just the job for them.
Was around 100 for tort quid and maybe another 100 by the time i had all the equipment.:D