PDA

View Full Version : Recycling Plastic in Thurso

SunnyChick
09-May-08, 17:25
Is there anywhere you can recycle plastic (i.e. washing-up liquid containers and yoghurt pots), etc in or near Thurso?

I looked up Caithness recycling centre in Janetstown but plastic is not listed as something they recycle.... and I was a bit surprised.

Bobinovich
09-May-08, 17:52
Was announced recently that we will soon (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=46947) be able to...

maidencaithness
10-May-08, 18:01
you could always try the local schools I know some of them use that sort of thing for "technology" or junk models as my daughter calls them, we save all ours now and give them to the school

rainbow
10-May-08, 19:29
Apparently from August if you do not have a brown bin or paper box, then you will get a new bin that you have to put plastic/tin/paper/cardboard in. If you have a brown bin/paper box then you will have it for another year as the vehicles that uplift your recycling materials is still on lease for another year. The council will also be checking on your waste to make sure you recycle the relevant materials.
So to answer the original question you can recycle plastic from August in outlying rural areas - maybe the council will then introduce an additional skip at recycling points to allow for plastic recycling.

ads
10-May-08, 21:44
Thurso College recycles plastic bottles.

Tilter
10-May-08, 23:35
Thurso College recycles plastic bottles.

So does Dounreay.

SunnyChick
19-May-08, 22:35
Thank you so much for all your helpful replies. I am definately going to avoid throwing plastic in the bin from now, and am delighted to be in a rural area and hopefully soon to get a new plastics bin! Cheers guys,:D

tracyann
20-May-08, 12:51
You can put plastic bottles to homeaid and they take them to Nipster Farm where we recycle them.

Keep ears open as hopefully skips for plastic waste at HC recycling centres very soon!