PDA

View Full Version : Rotten to The Core

TBH
09-May-08, 10:22
A MAN with a heart condition spent 18 hours in a police cell after being arrested accused of dropping an apple core.
Five police officers were called to help a police community support officer arrest, Keith Hirst 54, who denied dropping the apple.
While in custody, his DNA and fingerprints were taken and he had to be seen twice by a doctor after complaining of dizziness and chest pains.LINK (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1048984_locked_up_over_apple_core)

Did it really need six police officers to turn up like the Sweeney and arrest a 54 Year old man with a heart condition because he allegedly dropped an apple.
Nice to see the Grand job our finest are doing until you find that apparently, if your house is burgled or you are mugged, you will be lucky to get one police response never mind five at the same time.
To protect and serve? Aye right.[disgust]

ciderally
09-May-08, 11:44
wow..... isent that a compleat disgrace....he had ID on his medical card...what rights do the public have on things like this, thats what i would like to find out

porshiepoo
09-May-08, 13:37
That incident was a complete farce and there's no disputing that. Even if the guy had dropped an apple core the resulting cavalry charge was more than a tad OTT.

I do however feel the need to defend the police force in general. These instances give the force a bad name and they are the instances that stick in our minds, but the hundreds of lives saved and protected each and every day seem to pale into significance when one botched job appears.
My brother is in the police force and he and his colleagues put their lives on the line every day in order to protect us and this country.
What may seem OTT to us can lead to a possible assault or worse to an officer. All too often they see what appear to be minor incidents turn into extreme violence and are trained to protect themselves as well as others.
Lets not lose sight of the fact that they do a tremendous job 99% of the time.