PDA

View Full Version : Freeview Channel Numbers?

brokencross
09-May-08, 10:08
Does anyone know why the Channel Numbers on Freeview appear so "random"?
I can see having the normal terrestrial channels BBC1 etc as 1 - 5 makes sense.

However, for example, ITV2 is CH.6, ITV2+1 is Ch.31, ITV3 is Ch.10, and ITV4 is Ch.28. You get the idea, no apparent rhyme nor reason to the Channel numbers, so unless you have a good memory or sit with a crib sheet, you have to do loads of "upping and downing" to get where you want. Wouldn't it make sense to have a bit of related channel number grouping? I used to have an old Nokia (former OnDigital) box which allowed you to move channels but on the new freeview box I can't change the numbers.

Is there a obvious logical reason for this "randomness" that I am missing?

badger
09-May-08, 11:12
Logic? Sense? These are bureaucrats we're talking about here. Their whole reason for living is to make life more difficult and complicated than it needs to be. Drives me crazy as well, especially when - just for the fun of it - they decide to change the numbers because they're feeling bored and they want to annoy anyone who has programmed in their favourites. Give up :roll:

EDDIE
09-May-08, 23:15
what annoys me is seeing that stupid itv logo up in the corner wehn ure watching the channell

Tristan
10-May-08, 08:31
I think one reason is that there are different bands that the signals are sent on. Channel 1-20 may be on one band 21-35 on another.
Depending on your Freeview box you may be able to reorder the channels or set up a favorites list.