PDA

View Full Version : How much food do you throw out?

skinnydog
08-May-08, 15:46
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7389351.stm

This was on tv this morning so it would be interesting to read just how much you guys throw out on a daily/weekly basis.

I am fairly organised with my shopping lists and meal planning so very rarely bin anything.

I asked some friends today did they throw out a lot of food and none of them do so do you think the media makes this out to be a worse problem than it is?

Kevin Milkins
08-May-08, 16:06
I am fairly organised with my shopping lists and meal planning so very rarely bin anything.

No wonder you have a skinny dog.lol:lol:

I am with you on this one as I hate to see food go to waste.

wifie
08-May-08, 16:30
Yep - use a list and plan meals so practically never bin any food!

Julia
08-May-08, 16:36
We have the odd bit of cucumber etc.. anything we don't or can't eat I feed to the birds, if it's not suitable for them and the dogs haven't scoffed, and if it's organic matter it goes in the brown bin.

Tighsonas4
08-May-08, 17:04
FOOD WASTE
in bygone times there was certainly no waste
it was seen by the old folks to be morally wrong
it was never aproblem in the country if the dog didnt get it the pig did
and in due course we ate the pig [lol]regards tony

Liz
08-May-08, 17:29
We never throw any food out apart from the odd veg which is a bit wizened! Like Julia, any leftovers or stale bread etc would go to the birds (I am vegetarian).

I think supermarkets are probably more guilty of waste as saw an article on TV recently which showed the amount of goods (not just food) which were found in supermarket bins and they included food which was perfectly edible.
Some had gone past by their sell by dates but were fine.

What a waste! Surely they could sell it off really cheap or donate it to charity?

chaz
08-May-08, 18:22
No food wasted in our house, hate to see wasted food .

dellwak
08-May-08, 21:32
My missus used to work in a supermarket and she was always telling me about the food that is thrown away. For instance, if one or two oranges in a box go mouldy the whole box is turfed. The same goes for tomatoes and other fruit and veg.
It is the same with the meat and fish. The supermarkets feel that they have to offer the customer everything. But of course the customer doesn’t want everything. So anything left over gets thrown out. By the way, you do know that you are paying for all this waste as well don’t you?
Things have got worse since the supermarkets decided to pre-pack everything. A person who only wanted 3 or 4 carrots has to buy a pack of 10 or more. Any that he can’t use before they go runny get thrown out.
We only buy loose fruit and veg now and we get our meat from a private butcher. This way we only buy exactly what we need – and private butchers can’t afford to waste meat so they only sell what is available at the time, that’s our finding anyway.

karia
08-May-08, 21:35
Excellent post Dellwak!

Blame firmly where it is due in the coffers of big business.

Anne x
09-May-08, 00:31
I generally have a list and stick to it , buy Veg and Fruit loose if possible
All Meat and Chicken from the local Butcher very rarely the supermarket
Fish from a Father and Son Van from Buckie who come once a week locally

The only waste I find nowadays Is the extras I buy when the kids are home or for Visitors which 9 times out of 10 is never eaten just like Xmas or any holiday period we buy far too much which ends up out of date

Welcomefamily
09-May-08, 07:53
We have a fridge day once a week, we waste very little, my wife uses left overs for strews and soups.

emszxr
09-May-08, 09:05
desmond our pig gets any bits left over and he will end up on our plate anyway so i dont see it as food waste.

veekay
09-May-08, 09:51
Between the three of us, the dogs the chickens and the compost bin, well nothing is wasted

Riffman
09-May-08, 18:05
Nothing wasted here. If its stale the birds get it, if its rotten it goes into the compost.

In fact all we really throw away is plastic. Paper, cardboard, tins, glass all gets recycled.

cuddlepop
10-May-08, 18:45
Only waste we have is fruit and salad which the dogs wont touch.
Blackbirds will eat the fruit though.

sweetpea
10-May-08, 22:45
I don't have any spare food to throw away. I stick it down my throat. Failing that the other half takes it to work and toasts it!:)

Tilter
10-May-08, 23:13
Excellent post Dellwack.

Cat, dogs and compost get what we don't use (usually only the odd bit of salad or plate leftovers). PLus I've been conditioned since babyhood to eat everything on my plate as it's one of the 7 deadly sins not to apparently, but this is not good for the waistline.

What do restaurants do? Have often wondered. They can't possibly anticipate how many people will come in and who will order what. Any restaurateurs here can tell us how much is wasted in restaurants?

cuddlepop
11-May-08, 09:39
Excellent post Dellwack.

Cat, dogs and compost get what we don't use (usually only the odd bit of salad or plate leftovers). PLus I've been conditioned since babyhood to eat everything on my plate as it's one of the 7 deadly sins not to apparently, but this is not good for the waistline.

What do restaurants do? Have often wondered. They can't possibly anticipate how many people will come in and who will order what. Any restaurateurs here can tell us how much is wasted in restaurants?

Food waste in catering establishments is criminal.Some establishments I've worked in you've been allowed to take a "doggy" bag home but there getting few and far between.
Catering waste in institional establishments use to be "recyled" as pig and chicken scraps.Strict rules prohibit that now.
:(
As they say the customer is alwas right and sometimes food is hardly touched but its still to be binned.

MadPict
14-Jun-08, 14:14
Watched "Tonight" on ITV last night about eating food which had gone well past it's sell by/use by dates.
I hate throwing food out and have eaten 'expired' yoghurts, eggs, meat etc with no ill effects.
The amount of food that was 'liberated' by the freegan on this programme was enough to feed a family for a week and it was thrown away because of damaged wrapping or an expired sell/use by date.

One woman in the programme had binned 6 perfectly good bananas becuase the skin had gone brown and spotty yet when she peeled one she was surprised to find the banana still OK. I'd rather eat a brown, ripe banana than the hard green ones many folk think are edible!

The programme is available for 29 days on the ITV catch-up service if you are interested to view it...
http://www.itv.com/CatchUp/Video/default.html?ViewType=5&Filter=21126

http://www.itv.com/News/tonight/episodes/Pastitssellbydate/default.html

Solus
14-Jun-08, 14:54
Almost no food waste here, I tend to shop for meals daily or every other day. This way I find it means less waste, buying just what I need to sort dinner.

MadPict
14-Jun-08, 15:14
The 'banana' lady got some WI tips on planning meals for the week and buying accordingly and found her weekly family food bill slashed from £130 to £70.

It's interesting viewing...

Dadie
14-Jun-08, 15:49
We have just survived a 2 year olds party with surprisingly little waste food (the odd 1/2 eaten sausage roll which the labrador was only to happy to help disappear) but everyone ate well and there was enough to go round!
What is left is salad which will be tonights tea.