PDA

View Full Version : Best Movies of 2005

Sporran
21-Nov-05, 05:15
What were the best new movies you saw this year, and what did you like about them?

This past month, we went to the cinema to see "Wedding Crashers" and "The 40 year Old Virgin". Both were so hilarious, we laughed nearly all the way through! Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson made for a brilliant comedy team, and they stole the show. Steve Carell's character as the 40 year old virgin reminded me a bit of Mr Bean, but not as silly.

We recently saw "The Skeleton Key", starring Goldie Hawn's daughter, Kate Hudson. That's the most serious part I've seen her play to date, and she did it extremely well! This scary movie is very atmospheric, with the suspense building up nicely as it goes along. Well worth seeing, without being overly scary. It gets a thumbs up from me too! :)

scotsboy
21-Nov-05, 07:25
I have not seen many "recent" movies and I couldnot tell you what was released in 2005 - the most memorable film I saw recently was Crash.

porshiepoo
21-Nov-05, 10:01
The best movie ever (although isn't this year) is 'Gone with the wind'.

Some of the best movies I've seen this year, but weren't necessarily out this year are, 'The butterfly effect', 'The Ring', any of the star wars films and the 'Harry potter' lot.

The worst I've seen this year was that one with the animated animals in. David Schwimmer was the giraffe.

willowbankbear
21-Nov-05, 11:00
The latest Zorro film was good, Its only one ive been to Atomic City to watch this year as ive been busy or skint

RandomHero
21-Nov-05, 12:31
I saw "Wedding Crashers" which I felt was poor. Vince Vaughn is a good comedy acting but it was nothing new. Just the same sort of American Pie humour that this generation enjoys. The best "American" comedy is the 80s Screwball comedies such as 'Ghostbusters', 'Meatballs', 'What about Bob?', 'See no evil, hear no evil', 'Blue Brothers', 'Planes, Trains&Automobiles', 'Caddyshack' to name a few.

The 'Skeleton Key' was a good concept but was Americanised and didn't do anything for me. 'Saw II' was worse than the first one, with so many faults I don't even want to begin to list them. We went to see 'Lord of War' with Nicholas Cage. Some believed this would be the long overdue comeback of Cage but it certainly wasn't. A film that was more of a series of facts than a movie. As much as I like Cage, he is spiralling downwards with the likes of this film and his up and coming movies such as 'The Wickerman'. He is a long ways from the glorydays of 'Raising Arizona' and 'Leaving Las Vegas'.

A great film for 2005 was 'Broken Flowers' starring Bill Murray as a devoutly single man who is on the road searching for his old flames. It's great to see a star as huge as Murray going for Lower budget independant films. (not selling out like some other 'stars'). 'Sin City' was another cracking film of 2005 which I would reccomend to anyone who is into film noir.

To sum up 2005 have had a small handfull of good films but has been plagued with titles such as The 40 Year Old Virgin, War of the Worlds, Mr&Mrs Smith, Hitch, The Fantastic Four, The Pacifier, The Dukes of Hazzard, Sahara to name some.

A bleak time for films, one can only hope that 2006 will be a time for 'good' films to be made, rather than 'Hollywood' films.

spiggie
21-Nov-05, 14:10
Went to see Nanny Mcphee, thot that was quite funny, good 4 the kids to go and see. The butterfly effect was also good. I went to see corpse bride but didnt really think that much of it. :)

rainbow
21-Nov-05, 15:48
I just luuuuvvvved 'Pride and Prejudice' - not into love stories but this was good clean soppy stuff - not for the males! Want to see the USA edition that has a soppy ending.

pedromcgrory
21-Nov-05, 16:32
4 brothers ,saw 2,green street,into the blue,domino,revolver ,history of violence all worth a watch

Sporran
21-Nov-05, 19:15
The 'Skeleton Key' was a good concept but was Americanised and didn't do anything for me.

Of course it was Americanised, RandomHero! It was supposed to be! :rolleyes: It took place in New Orleans, and the characters in the story were American!

_Ju_
21-Nov-05, 19:31
Cinema...cinema....what is that???? Used to go twice a week,untill I had my lil'un. Last times I went to the movie, it was to see Lord of the rings I,II and III (Baby sitters add a wholelot to the cinema ticket).
There is no alternative cinema here, but if you are interested in it and use a on-line dvd rental service, try Almodovar's flms ( "Everything about mymother", "Speak to her", "High heels", "Women on te verge of a nervous break down", "Tie me up, tie me down").

What are the potencial contenders for best film this year at the Oscars, anyone know?

RandomHero
21-Nov-05, 19:33
No, no, no. You've not understood what I've said. When a film is set in America it is not Amercanised. It is difficult to explain. When a film is Americanised it is glammed up with things that go too far and stupid catchphrases. Things like that. This film was Hollywoodised a bit for my liking. It's a bit like the difference between British humour and American humour. Very difficult for me to explain.

There were many things about the film that I disliked. I had no idea what the movie was about before I went to see it. I think it had an interesting concept and i think if the skeletal structure was taken and given to another writer and director it would have turned out better. I've read reviews on this film and some said John Hurt was 'mesmorising'. He was not. He is an excellent actor but not in such a thankless role.
The character of the lawyer was abit irritating and just slowed things down when he was in it. There was a scene at a petrol station where we met a family and it was left to think they'd be more heavily involved later in the film but no, nothing much came of it. Kate hudson's roommate in it was a bit pointless, the hip hop city girl who happened to know LOTS about 'Hoodoo'!
The end really wasn't that fantastic and I wasn't 'stunned'. And nothing came of John Hurt's character which was built up so much. If you don't see it, then you've not missed much.

Sporran
21-Nov-05, 19:53
I've read reviews on this film and some said John Hurt was 'mesmorising'. He was not. He is an excellent actor but not in such a thankless role.

OK, after reading your last post, I see what you're getting at, RandomHero. The one thing I do agree with you about is John Hurt. It was a waste of this highly talented actor's skills, and he definitely was not mesmorising in his role as Ben Devereaux in "The Skeleton Key". An actor of far less calibre could easily have played that part!

Big G
21-Nov-05, 23:15
The best movie ever (although isn't this year) is 'Gone with the wind'.

Some of the best movies I've seen this year, but weren't necessarily out this year are, 'The butterfly effect', 'The Ring', any of the star wars films and the 'Harry potter' lot.

The worst I've seen this year was that one with the animated animals in. David Schwimmer was the giraffe.

Was this film 'madagascar' by any chance? if so i think that is GREAT!!

I think the film that will win the oscars this year is DEF 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire'!!! a very good film - worth a visit to the cinema!

kas
21-Nov-05, 23:46
I agree Harry potter, I also really enjoyed Wallace and Gromit.
The Chronicles Of Narnia, looks quite good as well.
I dont think I have ever grown up.

Rheghead
21-Nov-05, 23:49
The revenge of the Sith and Wallace and Grommit, looking fwd to Narnia

dragonfly
21-Nov-05, 23:56
glad to see Nanny McPhee is on this weekend at All Star Factory - thought they weren't going to show it as it was make believe

last bit of post removed as I don't want suspended!!!

marion
21-Nov-05, 23:56
The revenge of the Sith and Wallace and Grommit, looking fwd to Narnia

I saw all of the "Chronicles of Narnia." Just recently started watching Harry Potter movies in the TV. Enjoyed all of them. Count me as one of those "kids."

moncur
22-Nov-05, 20:30
My fave film this year has to be Saw2. great shock factor and you notice more clues about the ending every time you watch it again.

RandomHero
22-Nov-05, 20:42
If everything that's wrong in film today could be summed up in 90mins, Saw II achieved it. The first one was one of the worst films of all time and the second one isn't much better. If you enjoy meaningless violence (which I'm not against) then go and see it. As long as there is a good enough plot then fair enough but there wasn't in this film. This film has been 'Hollywood-ised' and I'm sick of hearing the line, 'I want to play a game' in every serial killer film in the past couple of years. How did the cancer patient killer get a giant safe amongst other(also erect metal bars across the doors) things into the house when he can barely walk? Or was it the skinny drug addict that did all of that? Ridiculous characters, especially the latino muscle man who was so badly acted and unbelievably realistic.The horror genre is dying but let's hope someone can revive it before it's too late (hopefully it will be Charlie Kauffman and Spike Jonze's new horror movie-but who knows how much longer we will have to wait for it). Scream reinvented the horror genre but has led it to it's ultimate demise. Do you remember the days when films didn't need gigantic twists in the end to keep people satisfied?

That's just my opinion. Just sharing it with everyone. Happy watching!

RandomHero
22-Nov-05, 21:05
As for the oscar predicitons early days yet as it's not until march but i'll have an early stab at some potential candidates:

Best Picture: Munich or Walking the Line

Best Director: Steven Speilberg or Ron Howard. Although maybe James Mangold

Best Actor: Joaquin Pheonix or Eric Bana

Best Actress: Reese Weatherspoon or Ziyi Zhang

Best Sup. Actor: Matt Dillon or Bob Hoskins

Best Sup. Female: Gong Li or Diane Keaton (it's a very weak catagory i think)

Best Screenplay: Walk the Line, Cinderella Man or maybe even Crash

I put bets on the oscars every year. The challenge is recognising what a film will be like before seeing it.

Sporran
25-Nov-05, 06:48
I also enjoyed 'Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith'. It was much better than the other Star Wars prequels, in which the special effects overshadowed the story line, in my opinion. George Lucas did it right this time!

Another good movie was "War of the Worlds', starring Tom Cruise. It was great edge of your seat drama. Kudos to Steven Spielberg for that one!

pops
25-Nov-05, 11:48
it has to be ladder 49 wat an ace film that was if u havent seen it then u shuld watch it its ace its so sad makes me cry lol

RandomHero
25-Nov-05, 15:30
Episode III was good, mainly because like so many other people I'm a Star Wars fan and enjoyed seeing the final part of the series. Episode I was very disappointing and the young Anakin was cringe worthy. Episode II redeemed itself but I think the reason that they were less succesful because they were the lead up to Episode III. No matter how bad the first 2 episodes would be, every fan new it would be worth it to see Episode III. Personally out of all six, my favourite is Episode VI - Return of the Jedi. What's yours?

Talking of great films just sat through 'Ray' for a second time. Pure genious. Great film for an even greater man. The legend that is Ray Robinson.

Donnie
25-Nov-05, 17:52
In my opinion the best Cinema releases this year were

StarWars Ep III
Batman Begins
Sin City
Constantine
Cinderella Man
Danny the Dog

RandomHero
25-Nov-05, 19:59
Sin City was good but not an Academy winner though, which is unfortunate because if the academy wasn't into big names as much, Robert Rodriguez should at least get a nomination for best director. But it won't happen.

The idea of them trying to dig the Batman series out of it's own grave is a good idea, and Batman Begins does the job reasonably well.

I would rather have Mr Benn playing the star role in any film, just to stop Keanu Reeves getting parts. Although Keanu's got another film coming out soon called, 'What's my Appeal?...Dude'

Danny the Dog or as it's more commonly known 'Unleashed' did nothing whatsoever for me. Just another Kung Fu film with no appeal. Why set it in Glasgow and not stay true to it. I didn't hear a single Scottish accent in that film. It is most defenatly a big low point for Morgan Freeman when he's appearing in this.

Sporran
25-Nov-05, 22:48
it has to be ladder 49 wat an ace film that was if u havent seen it then u shuld watch it its ace its so sad makes me cry lol

Yes, I really enjoyed that movie too, pops, even though it made me watery eyed at times! I really got caught up in it, and it made me appreciate fire fighters and their heroic efforts all the more! Also gave me a feeling of the anxiety that their loved ones go through, every time there is a call to duty...

MJB
26-Nov-05, 01:41
Doom and Final Fantasy:Advent Children, two top class films.;)

Rheghead
30-Dec-05, 03:01
Having seen King Kong tonight, I thought it was very good. It was done faithfully to the original, not like the seventies remake I might add.

So King Kong is one of the best films of 2005 imho.

Real non-stop action throughout.

Also I have an admiration for Peter Jackson (lord of the rings director)who puts true professionalism into his work or rather he knows someone who knows someone who can/does.

~~Tides~~
31-Dec-05, 01:27
The Aviator

shrek_donkey
31-Dec-05, 01:46
Having seen King Kong tonight, I thought it was very good. It was done faithfully to the original, not like the seventies remake I might add.

So King Kong is one of the best films of 2005 imho.

Real non-stop action throughout.

Also I have an admiration for Peter Jackson (lord of the rings director)who puts true professionalism into his work or rather he knows someone who knows someone who can/does.
The game for the ps2 is pretty good as well

katarina
31-Dec-05, 11:50
What were the best new movies you saw this year, and what did you like about them?

This past month, we went to the cinema to see "Wedding Crashers" and "The 40 year Old Virgin". Both were so hilarious, we laughed nearly all the way through! Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson made for a brilliant comedy team, and they stole the show. Steve Carell's character as the 40 year old virgin reminded me a bit of Mr Bean, but not as silly.
:)

Forty year old virgin? I only laughed once when he went flying through the billboard! We must have completely different sense of humour. Not at all like Mr Bean which I do enjoy.

rainbow
31-Dec-05, 23:55
The Chronicles of Narnia is well worth seeing. I enjoyed it as did my family.

ice box
01-Jan-06, 02:52
Dont think much of the king kong game ,and cant stand starwars hope they don't make another one how borning .

pedromcgrory
01-Jan-06, 16:03
Real non-stop action throughout , bye reghead first hour into it i nearlly fell asleep dragged and dragged kong to me dosent live up to its expectations ,films for me this year are wolf creek ,devils rejects,the king ,into the blue,dukes of hazzard was worth a watch to but everyone to there taste i say

Sporran
01-Jan-06, 17:03
Forty year old virgin? I only laughed once when he went flying through the billboard! We must have completely different sense of humour. Not at all like Mr Bean which I do enjoy.

Well, having lived in the USA off and on for a number of years, I enjoy American humour as well as British, Katarina. :)

sassylass
01-Jan-06, 18:53
Saw The Producers yesterday and laughed the whole way through. What fun to sit in an audience with everyone in stitches. Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick are excellent, and Mel Brooks has got to be the funniest writer on the planet!

htwood
01-Jan-06, 23:02
I liked the Wallace & Gromit movie, and yesterday I saw March of the Penguins, an amazing documentary. The photography was astounding, I may watch it again tonight, although the Antarctic winter was so cold, I found myself shivering LOL

Sporran
21-Feb-06, 07:39
We finally saw King Kong on Saturday night, and it was even better than I expected. We both thought it was brilliant, in fact! :o) Superb special effects, and plenty of action. I highly recommend it!