07-May-08, 07:20
Its not so much a stage in the Market Bar, more like a sideboard

Jeid
07-May-08, 09:16
It's a shelf

rob murray
07-May-08, 11:25
It's a shelf

My daughters band ( a 3 piece ) played there, with a crowd of around 30 the place was mobbed. The band were crammed into a corner, the singer / guitarist sat on his amp to play as there was no space. This "venue" is only suitable for solo acoustic stuff. Best of luck with it guys, butnext time try Hoots or Downtown.

Boozeburglar
07-May-08, 11:53
This "venue" is only suitable for solo acoustic stuff. Best of luck with it guys, butnext time try Hoots or Downtown.

You do realise that the reason the atmosphere in the Market is so buzzing is because it is so small?

Seen many great performances in the Market, it is the coolest bar in the North.

If it were not for small quirky venues many of the greatest bands in history would probably not have made it.

Good luck with the gig, hope I can manage to drop in.

:)

PS What is 'Vintage Blues Rock'? I thought you guys were Metallists?

rob murray
07-May-08, 12:05
You do realise that the reason the atmosphere in the Market is so buzzing is because it is so small?

Seen many great performances in the Market, it is the coolest bar in the North.

If it were not for small quirky venues many of the greatest bands in history would probably not have made it.

Good luck with the gig, hope I can manage to drop in.

:)

PS What is 'Vintage Blues Rock'? I thought you guys were Metallists?

Yes, in certain circumtances it works, from my viewpoint the place is far far to small for a full on rock band...in my very humble opinion that is.

Gleber2
07-May-08, 12:42
Yes, in certain circumtances it works, from my viewpoint the place is far far to small for a full on rock band...in my very humble opinion that is.
Played there once in 1974 with a country duo. At a time when there was hardly any gear and it was almost impossible to set up. Good luck.

rob murray
07-May-08, 12:45
Played there once in 1974 with a country duo. At a time when there was hardly any gear and it was almost impossible to set up. Good luck.

Agreed..how did your week end gigs go down our way ?

moncur
07-May-08, 13:26
Market Bar was probably one of Umpteen Forty's best gigs. Place was jam packed and was superb atmosphere. Calum and I sat on the amps onstage whilst we played and Ryan setup his Traps kit on the floor where a table normally was. I think folk were a tad surprised though when we did an acoustic version of King Nothing lol.

Gleber2
07-May-08, 13:47
Agreed..how did your week end gigs go down our way ?
Friday was excellent with many of my "fans" coming out of the woodwork as it has been more than five years since the last time I played there.
Sunday was OK also. Quite enjoyed coming out of retirement for the fiftieth time!! You should try it.
BTW, A couple of years ago Tony'T.S.' Macphee was booked to play the Market. He took one look into the bar and turned and left.:D

rob murray
07-May-08, 14:20
Friday was excellent with many of my "fans" coming out of the woodwork as it has been more than five years since the last time I played there.
Sunday was OK also. Quite enjoyed coming out of retirement for the fiftieth time!! You should try it.
BTW, A couple of years ago Tony'T.S.' Macphee was booked to play the Market. He took one look into the bar and turned and left.:D

Good stuff, I saw a poster on Monday re the Port gig !!! Was Isaac on bass as I saw that Charlie Chaplin was advertised on drums. Wouldnt mind comming out of retirement....am actually taking some lessons ( at long last ) on organ playing, starts tomorrow..all I need is a Hammond B3

Gleber2
07-May-08, 14:23
Good stuff, I saw a poster on Monday re the Port gig !!! Was Isaac on bass as I saw that Charlie Chaplin was advertised on drums. Wouldnt mind comming out of retirement....am actually taking some lessons ( at long last ) on organ playing, starts tomorrow..all I need is a Hammond B3
Aye, Isaac was on blistering form on bass, Charlie was Charlie!!!
Organ lessons??? There's a Hammond L102 for sale in Watten. Too dear tho'.

rob murray
07-May-08, 14:42
Aye, Isaac was on blistering form on bass, Charlie was Charlie!!!
Organ lessons??? There's a Hammond L102 for sale in Watten. Too dear tho'.

Organ aye ! Always wanted to play organ based Booker T ish / soul, life long ambition infact..never to late to late, how much is L102 ?

Douglas Cowie
07-May-08, 15:26
Organ aye ! Always wanted to play organ based Booker T ish / soul, life long ambition infact..never to late to late, how much is L102 ?

I'm sure I remember you playing My Brother Jake by Free on an old Vox keyboard many many moons ago, those were the days! also having to tape the volume control on your AC30 to stop you turning up... I could write a book!!

rob murray
07-May-08, 16:15
I'm sure I remember you playing My Brother Jake by Free on an old Vox keyboard many many moons ago, those were the days! also having to tape the volume control on your AC30 to stop you turning up... I could write a book!!

lol lol lol, aye I mind it fine, I did have an old vox organ for a while aye. The tape on the volume pot...yes thats true as well.... as for the book....there would be some laughs there !!!

Gleber2
07-May-08, 17:43
She asked for £400!!!!!!!!!!!

theboysintheband
07-May-08, 21:14
I was in the Market Bar for pints one night, 3 piece band playin'...drums on the deck and the guitarist and bass player on the raise part behind the drums...got to be one of the best atmospheres for a Pub gig I've seen. The place wiz rammed.

The Pepsi Challenge
08-May-08, 03:19
Agreed. A treasure, of sorts :)