PDA

View Full Version : Winter Trivia

Tugmistress
21-Nov-05, 00:22
to get you in the mood for the upcoming little cold spell ;)

Weather Trivia
UK Winter Facts

The winter of 1939 in to 1940 gave us 49 frosts and 14 days where temperatures did not rise above freezing. -23 Degrees C was recorded at Rhayader (Wales), four feet of snow in Sheffield, 10 feet drifts in Bolton. It will probably be most remembered in weather terms for the great snow and ice storms where freezing rain coated everything with a 3cm layer of ice, bringing down power lines and trees.
The winter of 1946 in to 1947 gave us a particularly cold February. Buxton recorded 30 days of Frost during February, -21 Degrees C was recorded at Woburn, 1.35 Meters of snow in Durham, top day time temperature of -5 Degrees C recorded in East Anglia, No sunshine at Kew from 2nd to the 22nd, 17cms of snow on the Isles of Scilly on the 30th, and a minimum of -21C early on the 29th at Writtle (Essex).
The winter of 1951 saw the largest snowflake fall in the UK measuring 5 inches in size at Berkhamsted on the 13 April.
The winter of 1952 in to 1953 saw some of the greatest snow drifts in the UK with 4.5 meter drifts in Skye and large drifting across much of the north of the UK. However it will probably be remembered for the great storm with 111 mph winds recorded at Cranwell Lincolnshire and flooding in many areas especially East Anglia.
The winter of 1962 in to 1963 was probably the coldest winter in living memory. Snow lay for 67 consecutive days, there were 8 feet snow drifts in Kent and 15 feet snow drifts in the south west, January 23 was recorded as having a maximum temperature of -8 Degrees C, 30 feet snow drifts occurred across the midlands and north late December, -16.1C recorded at Northolt London on the 1st of January and -21.1C Corwen (Clwyd) on the 2nd.
The winter of 1981 in to 1982 was probably the last very cold winter where the sea froze from the shore to about 200 meters out in some areas. -26.8C recorded at Grantown-on-Spey, -27.2C (equal British record for the lowest reading) on the morning of the January the 10th, -26.1C at Harper Adams College just outside Newport (Shropshire) an English record, the maximum temperature at Benson (Oxon.) was only -10C on the 13th, 43 hours of continuous snowfall between January 7 and 9 which deposited 18 inches (45cm) and led to huge drifts.

Rheghead
21-Nov-05, 00:44
Are you sure its gonna be cold this winter? It is fairly mild tonight.

Tugmistress
21-Nov-05, 00:49
Not saying it will or wont be a cold winter, i don't know how to read the synoptics that far ahead, but certainly going to turn on thursday! and at the moment is looking like a cycle that could stay around a wee while

kas
21-Nov-05, 23:55
I remember seeing photos of the 52/53 winter, that was something else. It doesnt look like we will see winters like that in the near future.

Its not just us that are getting milder winters, I saw a sad item on the news the other night, warmer temperatures in Hudson bay are preventing the polar bears from migrating onto the frozen sea. Until the sea freezes they are unable to hunt for seals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4447790.stm

marion
22-Nov-05, 00:02
I remember seeing photos of the 52/53 winter, that was something else. It doesnt look like we will see winters like that in the near future.

Its not just us that are getting milder winters, I saw a sad item on the news the other night, warmer temperatures in Hudson bay are preventing the polar bears from migrating onto the frozen sea. Until the sea freezes they are unable to hunt for seals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4447790.stm

Very interesting Geography lesson. Thank you for your web site post.

abalone
22-Nov-05, 00:23
Iwas busy being born during the1940 freeze but I remember 1947,our village was cut off,the power lines came down and one of the shire horses from the farm trod on them and was electrocuted.I can`t say I recollect the others very well apart from1962/3.I lived on a disused airfield and it was terrible.

golach
22-Nov-05, 00:57
I remember the 1947 winter because my Dad drove a pair of Clydedales on a farm in Perthshire and spent most of his time pulling cars and tractors up the hill.
On 31st Dec 1962 I was sunning myself on a beach in Cape Town and listening to the radio telling me that there was a white out in Scotland, I just ordered anither "Brandy Square" and went on sunning myself.