PDA

View Full Version : Snow for Thursday??????????

kas
20-Nov-05, 23:56
Just looked at the Grampian News weather forecast, they are predicting heavy snow for Thursday.

http://scotlandtoday.scottishtv.co.uk/weather/fivedays.asp?location=THURSO

Also seen on the XC weather strong Northerly winds as well.
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Do you think we will get this? Tend to find forecasts are not too accurate for up here.

I would just adore snow, although I know it is not welcome by everyone.
Hopefully Tugmistress will keep us in the know, she's nearly always on the ball and it is very much appreciated.

Tugmistress
21-Nov-05, 00:10
Hi Kas,
I have been watching the last 4 or 5 days this devlop, at the mpment it is definate we are in for a cold spell, though snow is very hard to predict as it takes an awful lot of things to come together correctly

Keep an eye on the weather alerts here....http://www.net-weather.co.uk/index.cgi?action=forecast;type=alerts;reg=1;sess=

at the moment, it is looking like we could have a wind chill of about -10c, so it will be a case of wrap up warm. ...

BUT..
we all know things can change up here ;)

will keep you posted ;)

kas
21-Nov-05, 00:12
Cheers, you're a star.

Big G
21-Nov-05, 23:25
I love when it snows - makes it feel more like Christmas!!! I love wakening up and the ground being white! May get some days of school and work?!?

lassieinfife
21-Nov-05, 23:28
I love when it snows - makes it feel more like Christmas!!! I love wakening up and the ground being white! May get some days of school and work?!?

Last big snow in fife i had to walk 3 mile in 10 inches of snow ......no days off for me ................ biddys need fed what ever the weather brrrrrrrrr I HATE snow

Tugmistress
21-Nov-05, 23:33
At the moment, the wind is showing to increase, gusting maybe 50 - 60mph from the north with a possible surface temp of about 3c which will give a wind chill of about -8c :eek:

though that is for friday morning.

we all know things can change, but we ARE set for some flipping cold stuff, and for some wind (though where the low pressure ends up will be what decides the speed of it) but asa for whether the precipitation falls as rain, snow, hail or sleet, ... personally i think it will rain to begin with thursday night, then during the early hours turn to snow for a while.

ok that's enough of me guessing and hoping we get the white fluffy stuff... will know more later ;)

marion
21-Nov-05, 23:49

That is one of the things I miss by living in Tucson - "Snow for Christmas." When I lived in Northern Indiana we always had snow for Christmas. However, I remember the cold and ice on the streets. After 36 months in the South Pacific during WWII the mild climate spoiled me and I could no longer handle the cold and the ice. I hated shoveling snow and driving on ice. So I had to learn to give it up. However, I was in Thurso until December 23rd of 1980 and saw no snow at that time. Does it snow much along the coast of Scotland near Thurso during Christmas time?

Tugmistress
21-Nov-05, 23:51
i have only been up here for a couple of christmas', we woke up to a white christmas just gone though :D (melted by lunch where we were :( )

kas
22-Nov-05, 00:05
We did get a good fall of snow on Christmas evening in 2000. It was beautiful.

Any snow that I can remember has been short lived, never had more than 2-3 days at a time. Have had hardly any of late.

But this March we went skiing in Aviemore, Took 5 1/2 hours to get home, and I have never been so scared. Not a drop until the Ord and then it was drifts the whole way to Thrumster. We thought the going via Wick would be a better choice than the Cassie Mire. Boy were we wrong. By the time we got back to Thurso not a drop. Tugmistress might remember the night because the passengers of the Hamnivoe couldnt get off the ferry at Scrabster until midnight due to the wind.

I just love snow, my son and I have our fingers crossed for some good falls this winter.

Tugmistress
22-Nov-05, 00:30
We did get a good fall of snow on Christmas evening in 2000. It was beautiful.

Any snow that I can remember has been short lived, never had more than 2-3 days at a time. Have had hardly any of late.

But this March we went skiing in Aviemore, Took 5 1/2 hours to get home, and I have never been so scared. Not a drop until the Ord and then it was drifts the whole way to Thrumster. We thought the going via Wick would be a better choice than the Cassie Mire. Boy were we wrong. By the time we got back to Thurso not a drop. Tugmistress might remember the night because the passengers of the Hamnivoe couldnt get off the ferry at Scrabster until midnight due to the wind.

I just love snow, my son and I have our fingers crossed for some good falls this winter.

ha ha, i shouldn't laugh really but yes i do remember it well though i couldn't tell you the exact date. the ferry had to come in bow first as the wind was too high for it to turn safely (or so i understand) and then we had to wait for the wind to drop to let the ferry turn around to come in again stern first. if i remember rightly i finished work about 01:30 the next morning and drove home in about a couple of inch of snow or thereabouts :) great fun :D

unfortunately i don't think what we will get this weekend will last long as in white fluffy stuff, but i am hoping and keeping my fingers crossed that this is the start of a cycle for winter, but to be honest i haven't a clue if it is or not.

MadPict
22-Nov-05, 00:40
Time to dust off the sled....

spiggie
22-Nov-05, 00:51
No snow for just now please, i have to drive to and from inverness until mid December :(

Fran
22-Nov-05, 01:03
I agree...no snow in daytime please as i too am going up and down to Inverness till christmas!!!! I'll give you a wave spiggie!!!

Naefearjustbeer
22-Nov-05, 02:31
Snow is lovely when you dont need to get anywhere, not so handy when you are trying to get out in the car, If it comes I think it is probally safer to sit it out and travel at another time.

At Lassagie
22-Nov-05, 13:22
:p Hey Fran and Spiggie, why not do the sensible thing and share your travel? Cut costs to the pocket and the environment, good company is always welcome when your stuck in a 6 feet blizzard - take it from me, Ive been there!!

squidge
22-Nov-05, 13:43
And Fran and Spiggie - get stuck in inversnecky and you can always come and get a hot meal and a coffee with me.

happy motoring

scotsboy
22-Nov-05, 14:03
Getting cooler out here as well, temp only just hitting the 100 farenheit at the top of the day now and currently down to 84......well it is 1600hrs and the sun nearly down.

spiggie
22-Nov-05, 15:13
And Fran and Spiggie - get stuck in inversnecky and you can always come and get a hot meal and a coffee with me.

happy motoring

Thanks for the offer but i have a flat in Inverness, im down at Uni see just come home when i can, thats mostly every wknd.

moose and Lindsay
22-Nov-05, 16:03
Do you think we will get this? Tend to find forecasts are not too accurate for up here.

.[/QUOTE]

U can say that again!!

I will believe it when i see it

But then again they got it right for today

cloudy and sunny

So u never know [lol]

squidge
22-Nov-05, 16:06
Thanks for the offer but i have a flat in Inverness, im down at Uni see just come home when i can, thats mostly every wknd.
Ill wave to you in the canteen then

Fran
23-Nov-05, 00:42

happy motoring
Squidge, thanks for the offer, but i always have passengers with me, though i do get a short time to myself to get a breakfast and a quick look at the shops!!!