PDA

View Full Version : Here Kitty Kitty OR Push Off Pussy

brokencross
05-May-08, 09:10
On the front pages of the Org and on the messageboard, I quite often see articles about lost cats, found cats or cats being mowed down by cars.

Been racking my brains but cannot think of any other domestic pet that is legally allowed to roam the streets and other people's gardens with impunity. I am sick fed up of cats attacking the wild birds in my garden and leaving a mess with their toileting. Have even seen cats up on prams.

I reckon all cats should be house cats, if they are in the garden they should be in a run like a rabbit and if they are out in the street they should be on a lead.

I realise the cat lovers will be up in arms but surely it would put an end to the lost cat postings and I can continue to enjoy watching my wild birds, without the fear of some roaming moggy pouncing or pooping in my garden.

joxville
05-May-08, 09:19
On the front pages of the Org and on the messageboard, I quite often see articles about lost cats, found cats or cats being mowed down by cars.

Been racking my brains but cannot think of any other domestic pet that is legally allowed to roam the streets and other people's gardens with impunity. I am sick fed up of cats attacking the wild birds in my garden and leaving a mess with their toileting. Have even seen cats up on prams.

I reckon all cats should be house cats, if they are in the garden they should be in a run like a rabbit and if they are out in the street they should be on a lead.

I realise the cat lovers will be up in arms but surely it would put an end to the lost cat postings and I can continue to enjoy watching my wild birds, without the fear of some roaming moggy pouncing or pooping in my garden.

Just checking your signature-isn't a cat a lesser being lol

mccaugm
05-May-08, 09:22

Up in arms does not even cover it. I myself am a cat owner and frequently have other peoples cats in my garden leaving their little messages in my flower beds. Cats fighting with my cats...it happens. Thats what cats do..Te thought of keeping cats penned in against their will is just animal cruelty. Live and let live. Dogs are a different case entirely as they can cause far more damage in various ways. People who let untrained dogs with aggresive tendancies roam about deserve a great deal more ridicule.

Ash
05-May-08, 09:28
i agree about the cats, there in my garden making a mess alot
also with the dogs aswell, alfie is always on a lead, always, im fed up of taking him out and other dogs who are out on there own coming up to him harrassing him, especially when i have my daughter with me..... there is dog mess all over the place, she always asks why then follows it by saying we always pick up alfies poop!

celtchicky
05-May-08, 09:35
i love ma 2cats, an wouldnt be without them, however i wish they wouldnt do the toilet in the garden, esp when it comes to grass cutting time :mad:

i do think your comment is harsh tho, cats will wander whatever

Flair
05-May-08, 09:51
Yup, they're in mine too :roll:

But I'm working on it, I believe it's only a matter of time before I get out to them in time. I'm not a cat hater, a dog would be exactly the same.

I mean, I'm all for 'live and let live', that's great and all, I'm not cruel to animals, I'm pretty keen on them...

...but the stones in my garden kinda say otherwise.

Sure, cats wander, but what's the old saying? "Curiosity killed the cat."

shazzap
05-May-08, 10:13
Up in arms does not even cover it. I myself am a cat owner and frequently have other peoples cats in my garden leaving their little messages in my flower beds. Cats fighting with my cats...it happens. Thats what cats do..Te thought of keeping cats penned in against their will is just animal cruelty. Live and let live. Dogs are a different case entirely as they can cause far more damage in various ways. People who let untrained dogs with aggresive tendancies roam about deserve a great deal more ridicule.

I beg to differ about the aggressive bit.

My late son who was about 7 at the time,was attacked by a cat which targeted his face and head.

He looked like he had done a few rounds with Tyson.
The staff at the hospital could not believe a cat had caused the wounds he had.

Riffman
05-May-08, 10:32
What's the problem?

Cats eat birds, it's natural for them. Surely you don't think that wild cats live off Sheba.....:roll:

There are several cats that pass through our garden, it can be quite amusing when two of them meet. [lol]

Never found any mess here, although having 5,000sqft of lawn probably helps lol

brokencross
05-May-08, 10:34
As I said in the original post I cannot think of any other domestic pet that is legally allowed to roam the streets and other people's gardens with impunity.

Thats what cats do..Te thought of keeping cats penned in against their will is just animal cruelty. Live and let live.

Working on that premise no animal should be caged; just because you like cats should not exempt them.

Metalattakk
05-May-08, 11:38

Yes, that's right brokencross. Everyone should pander to you. :roll:

(This is taking NIMBYism to new levels, y'know?)

badger
05-May-08, 11:54
I agree with brokencross - cats should be restricted to their owners' premises. No other animal would be allowed to roam free in the way they do. Any cat coming into my garden gets chased away as I love the birds, frogs and any other little wild things that want to live here and see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to do so in peace. As for cats on roads - they're a nightmare and it's a wonder they don't cause more accidents.

I'm sure dogs and other pets would love to be able to roam free but they can't so why are cats so privileged? People keep rabbits in hutches - is that any less cruel that keeping a cat indoors?

highbury
05-May-08, 12:08
As I said in the original post I cannot think of any other domestic pet that is legally allowed to roam the streets and other people's gardens with impunity.

Working on that premise no animal should be caged; just because you like cats should not exempt them.

does no-one keep homing pigeons ?, at least with cat droppomgs you can wipe your shoe on the floor, mid you like the image in my head now of peeps doing hand stands ti wipe thier heads

EDDIE
05-May-08, 12:33
I agree with brokencross - cats should be restricted to their owners' premises. No other animal would be allowed to roam free in the way they do. Any cat coming into my garden gets chased away as I love the birds, frogs and any other little wild things that want to live here and see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to do so in peace. As for cats on roads - they're a nightmare and it's a wonder they don't cause more accidents.

I'm sure dogs and other pets would love to be able to roam free but they can't so why are cats so privileged? People keep rabbits in hutches - is that any less cruel that keeping a cat indoors?

but thats the same as saying if u want birds in your garden get an outside avory and band wild bird from flying into peoples gardens who dont want that.
Cats are a free spirit thats what they do they roam about please themselfs what they do thats a cats nature and u cant train them like what u could do with a dog i dont have a cat but the point im making a cat has the same right to live and freedom to what we do.
At least the cat isnt murdering people and committin crime and humans do far more damage to the environment than any animal and its actually the humans need to sort themselves out.

brokencross
05-May-08, 12:43
Yes, that's right brokencross. Everyone should pander to you. :roll:

(This is taking NIMBYism to new levels, y'know?)

Any personal criticism of me or deriding comments do not actually add to the debate.

Please try constructive intervention relating the topic "Here Kitty Kitty OR Push Off Pussy" to get your point across rather than stooping to snide one liners against the poster as appears to be your want.

scottygirl
05-May-08, 14:48
I have two cats and they are house cats. I do not let them out because they are my responsibility and as such I do not want them to come to any harm. I used to live near a main road. They have never been outside in their life and to be honest, they don't want to. If I leave the door open they just sit on the step. They are more than happy to use their litter tray and I don't have to worry that they are annoying my neighbours or messing my, or anyone elses garden.
I did have a cat which went outside and he fought for Britain and brought lots of dead birds into the house as "presents". That is just the nature of the beast.
I made a choice with my cats and I don't regret that choice and their quality of life is fantastic before any of you question me! lol

unicorn
05-May-08, 16:55
I was just in the garden when irritating sparrows decided to sit on my sky dish above my bench and foul the bench, how dare they! Thats my garden and my space................... same thing really, just a bit silly :roll:

badger
05-May-08, 16:55
but thats the same as saying if u want birds in your garden get an outside avory and band wild bird from flying into peoples gardens who dont want that.
Cats are a free spirit thats what they do they roam about please themselfs what they do thats a cats nature and u cant train them like what u could do with a dog i dont have a cat but the point im making a cat has the same right to live and freedom to what we do.
At least the cat isnt murdering people and committin crime and humans do far more damage to the environment than any animal and its actually the humans need to sort themselves out.

Actually it's completely different. The birds in my garden are wild - they came here of their own free will and I like to feed them as I love watching them but they don't belong to me. I hate to see birds caged.

Domestic cats are acquired deliberately as pets and should be restricted like any other pet. As scottygirl says, they can be kept indoors and be perfectly happy. Of course they can be trained - they have to be for litter. They may not murder people, although as shazzap said they can do some fairly serious damage, but they will torture and murder anything smaller than themselves that they can catch and they don't do it for food but for fun. I've heard frogs screaming when caught by a cat and it's not a nice sound.

Buttercup
05-May-08, 16:57
Totally agree with you brokencross. Cats are a pain. Why should I have to put up with neighbours "pets" using my garden as a toilet and marking post? It's not even safe to leave a window open or they're in the house walking all over kitchen counters etc. [mad] They would soon be complaining if my dogs were doing that! Cats can be trained to be house pets and to use a litter tray ~ good on you scotty girl that's how all cats should be kept if they're genuine family pets.

percy toboggan
05-May-08, 17:05
aagh.....cats..not everything in black and white makes sense !
http://t0boggan.wordpress.com/2008/03/22/this-darn-cat/

Metalattakk
05-May-08, 17:54
Any personal criticism of me or deriding comments do not actually add to the debate.

Please try constructive intervention relating the topic "Here Kitty Kitty OR Push Off Pussy" to get your point across rather than stooping to snide one liners against the poster as appears to be your want.

"O NOES!! I've been maligned!!"

Get over yourself. Your selfish lack of understanding of the ways of the animal kingdom do little to warrant a credible response.

But, just for you:

You're wrong to demand that any animal should be locked away, especially one as free-spirited as a cat, just so you can enjoy relative trivialities like backyard ornithology.

If you don't want cats in your garden, then secure it properly. There are ways of achieving your goal without reducing yourself to pure Neanderthal cruelty towards animals.

brokencross
05-May-08, 21:54

Maybe certain people will read my post again. I certainly have and I wouldn't change one word. I simply stated a couple of indisputable facts about cat behaviour which I happen to find objectionable.
I then offered a couple of suggestions as to how this behaviour could be curtailed or stopped altogether.
I also admitted my proposed solutions would upset cat lovers and then I reiterated my reasons for putting forward my solution. I just wanted to see if any other Orgers felt the same way.

I certainly expected some strong reasoned arguments and opinions from the obviously emotive subject matter regarding peoples pets who they care for dearly.

What I did not expect was the diatribe against me for simply making the post.

Kevin Milkins
05-May-08, 22:22
Here Kitty Kitty OR Push Off Pussy

I think neither.

Just leave Kitty Kitty do what he has always done.
Please himself.

celtchicky
05-May-08, 22:26
Here Kitty Kitty OR Push Off Pussy

I think neither.

Just leave Kitty Kitty do what he has always done.
Please himself.

well said ;)

Metalattakk
05-May-08, 22:52

Yes you did. You even alluded to it in your original post: -

I realise the cat lovers will be up in armsOr are you really suggesting that you expect to come on here, spout your selfish, ignorant opinions, and for people to just roll you over and tickle your tummy? [lol]

Your proposed solution to your 'problem' is frankly preposterous. And you know what's even more preposterous?

You think that people who strongly disagree are attacking you personally.

Again, you're just wrong. IMHO, of course. ;)

joxville
05-May-08, 23:35
Whilst I agree with the header about cat's being a problem in my garden, I'd rather see problem dog's/teenager's that roam the street's dealt with first.

trix
05-May-08, 23:43
aye, i da mind 'e catys goin aboot....

i hevna got a cat but iv got catfood in.

ma auld neighbours cat wis ayie howngry so i got it in for 'at aine, but they da live beside me anymore....

mccaugm
06-May-08, 09:25
I certainly expected some strong reasoned arguments and opinions from the obviously emotive subject matter regarding peoples pets who they care for dearly.

I do not personally have any issue against you but you have to admit your opinions would incite anger amongst the cat/animal lovers amongst us. If you did not wish to upset people then you should have said nothing. However I am a great believer in people being entitled to their opinions whether I agree or not. In this case I do not.

Welcomefamily
06-May-08, 10:04
I hate them, owners should be made to be responsible for them.

Metalattakk
06-May-08, 12:13
Cats cannot be 'owned'.

Macwull
06-May-08, 14:23
A cat does what a cat does. My neighbour has a tree that overlaps into our area and the leaves fairly clutter up in the garden but at the end of the day thats life. I wish I could stop the birds messing up my car but what can I do??

Sorry if you don't agree with the post but at the end of the day nothing can be done on this situation.

northener
06-May-08, 19:50
Cats?

Feed 'em occasionally, gush over how 'cute' they are and then leave them to ruthlessly slaughter all the wildlife in the immediate vincinity.
The figures for the amount of killing they carry out are incredibly high.
The RSPB are acutely aware of this problem, yet - rather conveniently - forget to create a fuss about it.

Why? Guess what the profile of people likely to support (and give funds to) the RSPB contains.........

The problem isn't the cats themselves, it's the number of cats in the country. Increasingly being sought as a convenience pet by those who can't be arsed to care for an animal that requires something approaching responsibility, the impact isn't realised by the owner. Apart from comment about them being 'good hunters' everytime they drag a songbird or field mouse home....

This slaughter is shrugged off as a natural thing for a cat to do. Yes, it is. Unfortunately they are all doing it to the detriment of the wildlife!

It's worth noting that the cats are following their natural instinct to hunt, that's fine.

So their owners won't complain if one of my lurchers chases and kills their cat - will they?

After all, my dogs would only be doing what comes naturally.;)

trix
06-May-08, 20:01
mmh...when i think aboot'ed....

'e reason i bought food in for 'e caty next door wis because 'e wifie never fed'ed [evil]

'e manie cross 'e back fed'ed anall, he kent 'e cat wisna getin looked efter too....

it wisna allowed in ma hoose or 'at, an i never petted'ed or anything...it wis stinkin an full o' fleas :mad: (poor caty)

i used til curse 'e wifie for hevin 'e cat in 'e first place an no lookin efter'ed....

WeeBurd
06-May-08, 23:47
Push off, Pussy!

I have no issue with people keeping cats, indeed I quite like the beasties, but cats are not welcome in my garden - in the same way I'm sure cat lovers would not welcome my dog wandering around unsupervised in their garden. It's bad enough having to pick up my own animals poo, without the additional loads (so to speak!) from the neighbourhood cats. Add to that, my love and encouragement of wild birds to my patch, and you can see why I don't have one myself. My choice.

However, cat lovers obviously choose to keep them as pets, so they should be required to keep them under the same restrictions that other pet owners are bound by, as much for their own saftey, as for the nuisance they cause other people.

Cats/dogs, there's no difference, both should be controlled appropriately to avoid injury & menace to other animals or humans.

Metalattakk
07-May-08, 00:14
So their owners won't complain if one of my lurchers chases and kills their cat - will they?

After all, my dogs would only be doing what comes naturally.;)

Yes, the cat 'owners' would be perfectly within their rights to prosecute you for not keeping your 'devil dog' under strict control in public, in accordance with the law of the land.

Cats/dogs, there's no difference, both should be controlled appropriately to avoid injury & menace to other animals or humans.

Again, only in accordance with the law.

weegie
07-May-08, 00:58
I have 2 , 1 year old cats and they both roam around our neighbours gardens and just like me they wont poop anywhere else than home !

northener
07-May-08, 15:54
Yes, the cat 'owners' would be perfectly within their rights to prosecute you for not keeping your 'devil dog' under strict control in public, in accordance with the law of the land.

I wonder how the courts would view it?

If I had deliberately slipped the dogs to course the cat, in a public space, then there may be grounds for prosecution.
But, if a cat shot out of a hedgerow and my dog clobbered it on private ground (on which I had permission to be), then I can't think what grounds there would be for prosecution.

In fact, it's perfectly legal to shoot cats, providing you have the landowners permission. So, therefore I could argue that my dog has killed an animal that can be classed as vermin and, seeing that I was not deliberately coursing the animal, I have nothing to fear from the courts.

But the Cats Protection League may wish to have a quiet word with me:eek:

If anyone would like a (slightly) less terminal cat deterrent, I am now selling my newly invented cat repellent.

It's called 'Rock-Off!'

Here's how it works:

Identify the errant moggie and ensure it is around 5-25 meters away from you.

You remove what looks very similar to a fist-sized rock from it's modern and bio-degradable wrapper.

You then throw the completely natural and non-toxic repellant at the cat whilst shouting "ROCK OFF!".

The cat will then exit the area - providing it is still concious......

£5.00 each inc p&p.

Kevin Milkins
07-May-08, 22:21
We used to have a cat that was a good hunter and often brought home gifts for us .
The only problem was he used to pull the gifts through the cat flap and hind them in the house.
After about a week we would have to go gift hunting around the house to see were he had hidden them as it used to stink.
Grey squirels were his favorite gift.

http://rsizr.imageshack.net/?http%3A%2F%2Fimg236.imageshack.us
2Fimg236%2F1232%2Foldcomputorpictures257cv1.jpg

Kevin Milkins
07-May-08, 22:23
http://rsizr.imageshack.net/?http%3A%2F%2Fimg236.imageshack.us%2Fimg236%2F1232 %2Foldcomputorpictures257cv1.jpg

Try that one

northener
07-May-08, 22:36
http://rsizr.imageshack.net/?http%3A%2F%2Fimg236.imageshack.us%2Fimg236%2F1232 %2Foldcomputorpictures257cv1.jpg

Try that one

Now that is a good hunter!:D

Our ex next door neighbour had a cat that was a bunny killing machine. When he came to move (after about 3 years in the house) he called one of his mates to tow an old Merc he'd bought but never touched whilst he'd been next door to us. The Merc was in a rickety old garage behind the house.

His mate managed to open the garage doors after clearing the weeds away and disappeared inside the garage. After a short period of time he re-appeared and promptly threw up!

We soon found out why, the Merc had one of the windows open and was absolutely full of half eaten rabbits. From ancient mummified remains to maggot infested recent kills. Ye Gods, what a stench, i was gipping myself!!!

He scrapped the Merc after that.......

Aaldtimer
08-May-08, 02:57
Kevin..."Grey squirels were his favorite gift."...In Wick?
Some mistake surely?

Kevin Milkins
08-May-08, 09:18
Kevin..."Grey squirels were his favorite gift."...In Wick?
Some mistake surely?

No ,not in Wick.
I dont think you get grey squirels north of Inverness.
It was a photo of when we lived in Shropshire and poor old Bart has long since gone.

dellwak
08-May-08, 20:38
Here's a web site for those who don't want cats in the garden.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Cat-Repellent-or-How-to-Keep-Cats-Out-of-Your-Garden&id=6554

I like the idea with the chewing tobacco, urine, birth control pills, mouthwash, molasses, detergent and beer best, but it doesn't say how often you have to renew it.

Tilter
11-May-08, 01:08
I just think there has to be a happy medium here. A recent thread here had most cat owners saying they always keep their cats indoors and maligned those that let their cats roam. I disagreed because a cat has to lead a cat life and be free. Mine is free to wander (I'd rather he had a happy, even if shorter, life). Granted there's few neighbouring gardens to wander to around here.

What I'm saying is, if you love cats, restrict the number of cats you own (to just one maybe), and make sure it's spayed. And cat haters, put up with the occasional cat intruder. JUst think, cats are pretty slow with birds, but keep the mice down rather well - so be thankful.

unicorn
11-May-08, 13:49
I have one cat that is a house cat only but my 12 year old cat has always gotten out so it wouldn't be fair on her to now say she must stay in. That said though any others that I now had would be house cats as I have had 3 killed on the roads over the years and I live in quite a quiet area.

Tilter
18-May-08, 21:53
For years we've had two blackbird families in our garden - one family at each end. Our cat is a friendly soul and I've seen him sitting around while both families have been out hunting worms in the grass within 3 or 4 feet of him. They were never in the least bothered by him.

Today our young dog went outside and caught and killed one of the hen blackbirds. I'm quite upset as they've been raising their chicks here for so long.

Trosk
22-May-08, 21:38
[evil]Well...my cats are free spirits that get to do exactly what they want just as cats have done since the beginning of their time. Ok...they do their business in folks gardens and murder birds. :confusedWell.......just look what we humans are doing to the environment and the suffering we inflict on birds (e.g. battery hens, kentucky fried chickens etc) before we criticize the simple cat who really doesnt do that much harm on the grand scale of things!!!