PDA

View Full Version : Good Film

porshiepoo
05-May-08, 08:27
We have the rubbish film thread and I know this one's been done before but what good films have you seen recently?
I go to the cinema a fair bit but have to say that I always come out swearing I'll never waste money watching a film in the cinema again, I'll wait for the DVD.

Anyways, I thought the latest 'Rambo' flick was pretty good, thought 'I am Legend' was pretty good if not slow and weird at the start, and last night we watched 'Dragonfly' on the TV, not one I'd seen before and thought it was pretty good.
Also watched 'The Contenders' on DVD and thought that that was pretty cool too.
Anyone seen the new 'Halloween Uncut' yet? I was tempted to get it but was worried it would be absolute tosh.
And mustn't forget the 'Saw' films - brilliant!

joxville
05-May-08, 09:13
The latest one I went to see was I Am Legend, I enjoyed it even though a few others didn't like it.

celtchicky
05-May-08, 09:32
i watched I am legend and wasnt impressed wi it

loved Jumper, it wiz great :D

percy toboggan
05-May-08, 16:17
Birth...with Nicole Kidman...almost art-house but very well done...and she is superb..as is the kid Cameron Bright. He claims to be the re-incarnate of her dead husband. He's only ten.
Some very difficult problems might have been ensued but it was so cleverly, and skillfully filmed it held my full attention throughout...bought it the following week..e.bay bargain.

Sexy Beast: Missed it at time of release. An absolutely gripping British gangster flik with a tour de-force performance from Ben Kingsley...frightening in character.
Ray Winstone playes the ex-heavy duty crim on retirement duties in the Costas...when Sir Ben wants him to do one last job....bought that as well, after seeing it on telly.

Asolutely Brilliant!

catsbasket
05-May-08, 16:22
a few days ago i watched the pursuit of happYness. i thought it was excellent. very good

obiron
05-May-08, 19:50
the last film i saw at the cinema was when i took the youngest to see transformers. didnt think it would be up to much but i really enjoyed it. still will venture to see indiana jones when it comes out soon.

johnlc
06-May-08, 06:32
Hy i wqatched halloween uncut and wasnt impressed its just a newer version of the first 1 and only recognised 1 famous person in it,not good atall thats my opinion anyway:lol:

BazzaG
06-May-08, 09:27
The last dvd i watched was 30 Days Of Night with Josh Hartnett, Thought it has been the best vampire movie released in afew yrs.
Am waiting for All The Boys Love Mandy Lane, It is supposed to be a great film

percy toboggan
06-May-08, 18:10
my other half bouyght that one Bazza (very unusually) and watche dit on her own...should I check it out then?
Obiron: Is 'Transformers' suitable for a five year old girl - going on six?...watched with a doting grandad explaining things as they happen? What cert. is it? PG??

Sporran
06-May-08, 19:11
These are some good movies hubby and I have seen in recent months:

'Atonement', starring James McAvoy and Keira Knightley. Our sons saw it first, and came home raving about it. We loved it too, and I was very impressed with James McAvoy, who is a such fine young actor, in my opinion.

'Michael Clayton', starring George Clooney, Tilda Swinton and Tom Wilkinson. One of the best films I've seen the gorgeous George in, and Tilda and Tom were brilliant in their roles as Americans.

'P.S. I Love You', starring Gerard Butler, Hilary Swank and Lisa Kudrow. Both funny and sad, it was an entertaining film in which I found Gerard Butler very charismatic, Hilary Swank very likeable, and Lisa Kudrow very amusing.

A good film that we rented the other week was 'Goya's Ghosts'. It's an excellent historical drama that came out a year and a half ago. The artist Francisco Goya becomes involved with the Spanish Inquisition when his muse, Ines, is arrested for heresy. Natalie Portman was superb as Ines, and Javier Bardem intriguing as Brother Lorenzo. I have yet to see him in 'No Country for Old Men'.

Another film worth paying the tickets for was 'There Will Be Blood'. No wonder Daniel Day-Lewis won several awards for his role! He was absolutely amazing and thoroughly convincing as the main character. Paul Dano was outstanding as the young faith healer. It was a riveting story!

peter macdonald
06-May-08, 22:10
"Hear my song" with Adrian Dunbar is excellent
"In fading light" is also excellent for what it is but my favourite is The Seventh Seal by Ingemar Bergman .....Max Von Sydow playing chess with death is about as good as it gets
An odd one but a good laugh is Leningrad cowboys go America by Aki Kaurismäki ..its different !!!!!
PM

scorrie
07-May-08, 19:37
Here, I thought this thread was for good films? There are people putting naff movies in here.

If you are looking for a film that is a million miles from the normal Hollywood cack, you could do worse than check out Pan's Labyrinth. It is sub-titled but well worth a look. Won three Academy Awards and the director is pencilled in to direct the Lord of the Rings two prequel films of The Hobbitt.

A beautiful, yet, at times, brutal film there is an excellent balance between the real world against the backdrop of The Spanish Civil War and the fantasy world of a young girl trapped in a life with her pregnant mother and an evil stepfather only interested in siring a son via her mum.

If you like Ben Stiller, Sly Stallone and Frat movies, you probably won't like this film. If you have intelligence and imagination it will be hard to imagine that you will not be impressed with this highly original offering.

I had not heard anything about it but caught it on More 4 over the Christmas period. The BBC man seemed to like it as well:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2006/11/20/pans_labyrinth_2006_review.shtml

percy toboggan
07-May-08, 20:35
Thanks for the pointers Sporran...a copy of 'Pierrepoint' has just arrived from my Son for me upcoming birthday...along with a boxed Fred Dibnah (no cheap coffin jibes please) ...

He knows I like upbeat cheerful movies...I'm so looking forward to seeing Timothy Spall as Albert.

ciderally
07-May-08, 21:16
watched The Eye the other night ...pretty good...and i enjoyed 3.10 to yuma...not usually into westerns but enjoyed that one...

Sporran
08-May-08, 08:04
Birth...with Nicole Kidman...almost art-house but very well done...and she is superb..as is the kid Cameron Bright. He claims to be the re-incarnate of her dead husband. He's only ten.
Some very difficult problems might have been ensued but it was so cleverly, and skillfully filmed it held my full attention throughout...bought it the following week..e.bay bargain.

Thanks for the pointers Sporran...a copy of 'Pierrepoint' has just arrived from my Son for me upcoming birthday...along with a boxed Fred Dibnah (no cheap coffin jibes please) ...

He knows I like upbeat cheerful movies...I'm so looking forward to seeing Timothy Spall as Albert.

You're welcome, Percy, and thanks for your pointers too! :) I haven't seen 'Birth' yet, but that sounds like the kind of film I would enjoy, so I must see if I can rent it from 'Blockbuster'. Have you seen Nicole Kidman in 'The Others'? That was a really good thriller which my husband and I both liked, and Nicole was superb in that also.

porshiepoo
08-May-08, 08:46
The last dvd i watched was 30 Days Of Night with Josh Hartnett, Thought it has been the best vampire movie released in afew yrs.
Am waiting for All The Boys Love Mandy Lane, It is supposed to be a great film

I bought that one the other week. Brilliant film! Totally agree it's one of the best vampire films to hit the screens in a long while.

One that scared the pants off me when I was younger was 'The people under the stairs'. Don't know how scary it would seem now but it was great at the time. It's probably along the lines of 'The Goonies' now. :lol:

I thought 'A beautiful mind' was brilliant. Not usually my kind of thing but I really did like that one and also liked 'The Butterfly Effect' with Ashton Kutcher. I hear there's a second one out but I've not seen it yet.

Ash
08-May-08, 08:48
P.S i love you
the eye
all saw films
the notebook
the bank job
angelas ashes
pearl harbour

porshiepoo
08-May-08, 08:48
Here, I thought this thread was for good films? There are people putting naff movies in here.

If you are looking for a film that is a million miles from the normal Hollywood cack, you could do worse than check out Pan's Labyrinth. It is sub-titled but well worth a look. Won three Academy Awards and the director is pencilled in to direct the Lord of the Rings two prequel films of The Hobbitt.

A beautiful, yet, at times, brutal film there is an excellent balance between the real world against the backdrop of The Spanish Civil War and the fantasy world of a young girl trapped in a life with her pregnant mother and an evil stepfather only interested in siring a son via her mum.

If you like Ben Stiller, Sly Stallone and Frat movies, you probably won't like this film. If you have intelligence and imagination it will be hard to imagine that you will not be impressed with this highly original offering.

I had not heard anything about it but caught it on More 4 over the Christmas period. The BBC man seemed to like it as well:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2006/11/20/pans_labyrinth_2006_review.shtml

I must be one of the unintelligent among us then :lol:.
I seriously tried to like 'Pans Labyrinth' but thought it was a complete let down. The visual effects were great but I couldn't watch more than half an hour of it, I sooooooooooooo hate subtitled films!

padfoot
08-May-08, 15:01
a few good films i hav seen recently are
the condemned
fracture
the seeker rise of the darkness
bridge to trabithia
simon says
untraceable
knocked up
st trinians
and near dark old bt ace lol i could go on foreva bt will stop there watch too many films lol haha

peter macdonald
08-May-08, 16:50
I sooooooooooooo hate subtitled films!
PP look how much you miss!!!! Jean de Florette, Pelle the Conquerer, Babettes feast, Manon des sources , Das Boot, Ran etc etc etc
Its funny as your are not the only one Ive heard saying about subtitles Its the dubbed ones I cant hack
PM

percy toboggan
08-May-08, 19:45
A good film with subtitles renders them irrelevant within a few minutes...you tend to forget you're reading them at all...it can be an effort but often worth it.
As I'm learning French at the mo. I've dug out all my dvd's with French sub-titling and spend more time pausing, and going back to check spellings and words etc...maybe I've got a distorted view of subtitles. Current choice is the 'Diary of Anne Frank' foir twenty minutes or so before I fall asleep...last night I dreampt I was whisked away by the fuzz!

padfoot
08-May-08, 20:54
i find that i like to watch subtitles coz i luv to read bt it also help me if i cnt figure out wat sumone is sayin coz sumtimes its a bit unclear on wat they r sayin bt i agree for the pans labyrinth i hated watchin the subtitles i dnt mind if they r speaking english aswell bt its very distracting them talkin another language while tryin to read english

scorrie
08-May-08, 23:46
I sooooooooooooo hate subtitled films!
PP look how much you miss!!!! Jean de Florette, Pelle the Conquerer, Babettes feast, Manon des sources , Das Boot, Ran etc etc etc
Its funny as your are not the only one Ive heard saying about subtitles Its the dubbed ones I cant hack
PM

Ran was an excellent film and there are several other Japanese films well worth the effort. I don't mind subtitles at all, I find it easy to class the foreign language as "noise" and replace it with the English text.

DeHaviLand
08-May-08, 23:51
A good film with subtitles renders them irrelevant within a few minutes...you tend to forget you're reading them at all...it can be an effort but often worth it.
As I'm learning French at the mo. I've dug out all my dvd's with French sub-titling and spend more time pausing, and going back to check spellings and words etc...maybe I've got a distorted view of subtitles. Current choice is the 'Diary of Anne Frank' foir twenty minutes or so before I fall asleep...last night I dreampt I was whisked away by the fuzz!

If you keep it trimmed short, they cant get a hold of it so easily :roll:

trix
08-May-08, 23:58
speakin aboot subtitles, i mind watchin a film in subtitles called, 'dog eat dog'

wis really wierd, aboot a serial killer...it wis a guid film...choost really, really wierd...:eek:

sweetpea
09-May-08, 00:01
I can't deal with words on the screen, I'm more visual.:(

padfoot
09-May-08, 18:51
yeah my mum says that all the time im never allowed to put subtitles on she says they distract her from the film bt i find i can read them easily without noticin and watch film lol altho if summit just at the side of the screen i find it ttl distractin

Lord Flasheart
10-May-08, 12:54
Ive recently watched "The Departed" and "American Gangster" , great gangster films and worth a watch.

I also really enjoyed "The Guardian" with Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher although alll my mates reckon its a bit of a turkey.

percy toboggan
10-May-08, 13:48
Don;t mention subtitles to me!!
Last night I broke open 'Pierrepoint' but it wouldn't play on the downstairs dvd recorder without subtitles! ...luckily we have three other players scattered aboot the hoose. Actually, there is a fair bit of mumbling...and those subbies would have been handy.

All in all a very good film with a mesmerising performance from Timothy Spall...the lad's come a long way since winning us over as Barroy, in Auf Wiedy...
I give Pierrepoint seven out of ten...

percy toboggan
10-May-08, 18:54
Hello: I've just watched 'Pierrepoint' again, with my wife.
She gave it ten out of ten...which is unheard of ! I've upped it to an eight.
Everyone with a social eye on the bigger picture...especially if you've a retro lense should give this movie a go. Timothy Spall is absolutely awesome...if he didn't get a BAFTA for this then they should give it up.
A genuine tour-de-force in every department....and less than a fiver from Amazon at the moment.

Tilter
10-May-08, 23:42
Last movie I saw at the pictures was "Kiterunner."
Last DVD I watched was "La Vie en Rose."

Both excellent but (oops) both subtitled for the most part.

Geo
11-May-08, 11:48
Last film I watched was Million Dollar Baby. Great story but so sad.

porshiepoo
11-May-08, 13:30
[quote=peter macdonald;381429]I sooooooooooooo hate subtitled films!

:eek:Er..........yeah! See what you mean! :confused How could I have missed those? lol.

No, seriously though, I don't mind the odd bit of subtitles in a film but not an entire film. And I agree with you on the dubbing - hate that too. What really bugs me though are dubbed adverts for ridiculous products like window cleaner etc. Why, why why do it!

unicorn
11-May-08, 13:43
I tend to enjoy true stories, but some of them just leave me shocked. That said they make you realise how good you life is and appreciate the little things.

peter macdonald
11-May-08, 18:34
PP maybe you have to get used to subtitles especially if they extend the legislation for Gaelic from roadsigns to films :-)))))
All best
PM

Kismet
15-May-08, 20:31
I tend to enjoy true stories, but some of them just leave me shocked. That said they make you realise how good you life is and appreciate the little things.

I find true stories affect me more cos I know it really happened to people and sometimes truth is a lot more shocking than fiction

joxville
15-May-08, 22:28
I find true stories affect me more cos I know it really happened to people and sometimes truth is a lot more shocking than fiction

One of my favourite true stories is Erin Brocovich with Julia Roberts. It's not the type of film I'd normally watch, caught it by accident, but seen it so many times. It would be in my Top 20 films.

padfoot
15-May-08, 22:46

yeah i think thats wat happens for me too the magdelaine sisters was really really good bt really really sad yeah i pure luved erin brokovich was great film

Sporran
07-Jun-08, 19:53
A good movie I'd recommend is 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull', which was just released last month. Hubby and I went to see it at the cinema the other night, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was just as exciting as the previous ones in the series, in our opinion, and held our attention all the way through. Even though Harrison Ford is in his mid sixties now, he hasn't lost his touch, and was still great as the main character. Apparently, he even performed many of his own stunts! Cate Blanchett was superb as the villainous Soviet agent Irina Spalko, proving yet again what a versatile and talented actress she is. Kudos to the entire main cast, in fact! :)

the second coming
07-Jun-08, 22:59
if u bother to look at the historical reality, the black humour and the best script ever written

The outlaw Joesy Wales

Lord Flasheart
08-Jun-08, 07:08
Watched more than a few movies lately due to work being slow and would recommend ..

Unforgiven - Clint Eastwood at his best, the last ten minutes are electrifying.

Blazing Saddles - All time (un PC) Classic .. Telephone for Mongo ??

Happy Gilmore - Brilliant golf mickey take with Adam Sandler.

Human Traffic - Covers the antics of a group of friends over a weekend in Cardiff, the bit about the lads discussing Star Wars while "high" .. classic.

So I married an Axe Murderer .. worth watching for Mike Myers as his scottish father alone, and the leopardskin bagpipes of course.

The Jerk - Steve Martin at his best, if you dont find this funny then youre dead inside.

Heat - De Niro and Al Pacino, what more do you need ?? The conversation they have in the coffee shop is my favourite piece of cinema ever.

Hard Candy - Ellen Page (Juno) stars as a teenager out to trap Paedophiles.

Collateral - Tom Cruise at his best I think.