PDA

View Full Version : Where has Caithness gone?

dragonfly
20-Nov-05, 14:48
Just been web shopping and noticed yet again that there is no Caithness, Sutherland, Rosshire or even Inverness-shire when filling in delivery details on prefilled dropdown lists, we have all been lumped together under Highland. :mad:

No wonder I keep on getting asked "where??" when giving my address over the phone, no-one south of the border ever seems to have heard of Caithness, so maybe I should start saying Highland!

Are we being forced into losing our identity? :rolleyes:

Naefearjustbeer
20-Nov-05, 15:30
Most areas are now under the region, did you see any other old county names to pick from further south? probally not it would just be regions as well. I know what you mean though we are losing the Caithness identity in some ways as everything now seems to be run from Inverness the Highland Capital. keep saying Caithness, what bugs me is when it asks for your nationality and Scottish is not an option

Rheghead
20-Nov-05, 15:55
Are we being forced into losing our identity? :rolleyes:

This has been happening for a while with other administrative districts. eg.Cumbria is the same as Highland in that it is an admin.district yet it is constantly being peddled as a county. It is in fact made up of Cumberland, Westmorland, Yorkshire, Northunberland and Lancashire.

Kenn
20-Nov-05, 23:57
Well I do know where Caithness is but am often amazed that it does n't seem to exist outside it's own boundaries. Take the national weather forcast do they ever refer to any where north of Inverness , well granted The Northern Isles get the odd mention but are those boffins down at The Met. Office aware that there is a north east corner to these islands?

kas
21-Nov-05, 00:19
Well it is all Highland Health Board, Highland Council etc these days isnt it.

badger
21-Nov-05, 14:21
I've been meaning to bring this one up for ages and have taken it up with several websites but the only one that said they might look at it was ebay. I've tried not entering anything but most won't let you leave a blank field there. England, and presumably Wales, have counties so why not Scotland? It's been done in some central database somewhere. Silly thing is Royal Mail don't recommend putting counties in addresses, they prefer just posttown and postcode, so it's not even necessary.

daviddd
21-Nov-05, 14:26
Next thing they'll be removing the signs at the County boundary at the Ord, Reay etc - come to think of it are they still there?

Doleve
21-Nov-05, 14:45
There was a new caithness sign at the ord yesterday just where the caithness glass sign used to be.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Nov-05, 15:00
What did it say? Welcome to KW?

badger
21-Nov-05, 15:45
Maybe we can make sure all these wonderful new superstores coming up here show their location as Caithness. I had to tell a travel site recently Wick is on the mainland not the islands. Think B&Q has us listed as part of Orkney - it's the KW thing.