PDA

View Full Version : Worst film ever seen at the cinema...

percy toboggan
03-May-08, 08:40
A contentious post perhaps but...
going to 'the pictures' is a cheapish passtime and requires some effort. I'm lucky to have several multi-plexes within five miles of my house. Though I still prefer the old single screen concept with Usherettes etc...they are hard to find, even in Mancunia (though they do still exist)
So, one wouldn't go without some driving force of attraction to the movie showing. Have you ever felt 'let-down'?

In my case I'm afraid the first two 'Lord of the Rings' films were culprits. Really dreadful stuff. Some never ending journey...constant battles...a mystifying quest..I fell asleep durng the first over-long effort, and only accompanied my wife to the second one because I was feeling tired. Another nap ensued. Neither of us felt driven to see the third in the trilogy.
Does anyone else 'not get' these films?
Due respect to those who really rate them...I'm not knocking 'em, just explaining they were not my cup o'tea.

I await any other contenders for 'worst film at the cinema' perhaps one or two of my favourites will feature.

Angela
03-May-08, 10:06
I'm very fortunate to have the Edinburgh Filmhouse within easy reach -small and friendly, with a good cafe/bar. The range of films on offer means I'm willing to try some that aren't obvious choices - I don't assume that I'll enjoy them, but they intrigue me.

I've not been to a multiplex in years - I just don't enjoy the experience.

I loved TLOTR films (although the final one was certainly overlong) but then I've been a Tolkien fan since my teens and I'd read the book at least three times! My concern had been that the films would ruin the book for me, but fortunately that wasn't the case.

If you're not into TLOTR then I can understand that you wouldn't get a lot out of the films.

There was a recent film that I found a big let down -but I've forgotten the title :roll:so it clearly didn't leave a lasting impression on me! ;)

joxville
03-May-08, 10:18
As an avid book reader I must admit I couldn't read the stories, they're not something I can get into, although I did enjoy the films.

For me the big let-down at the cinema has been 'comedies'. One that springs to mind in recent years was Dodgeball-what a load of rubbish that turned out to be, and there has been many other's where the trailer shown on TV turned out to be the funniest part's.

I avoid anything in the cinema now that claims to be a comedy, I'm fed up of feeling I've wasted my hard-earned cash and 2 hours of my life.

scotsboy
03-May-08, 10:19
Exorcist II...........DREADFUL

Geo
03-May-08, 10:20
Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn.

I was about 14 when I went to see it. Even the 3D effects did nothing to raise it above truly awful.

anneoctober
03-May-08, 12:33
The original Exorcist - complete humbug! If the ministers outside the cinema had actually gone into watch the film, they could have saved themselves the hassle of handing out leaflets , the film was ridiculous ........ only my opinion o'course.......:eek:

Rie
03-May-08, 12:45
The Golden compass!!! worst film i have seen in a long time ,
As a avid book reader this really let me and my children down,
at 6yrs old my daughter was picking fault with the film!!!

candyfloss
03-May-08, 12:49
We thought " The golden compass" was rubbish too [disgust] didn't even watch all of it

mccaugm
03-May-08, 13:40
The Golden Compass was brilliant (check my avatar) although if I had read the book I may have taken a different view. Worst film -probably "Braveheart" what a pile of pants. Also "Interview with the Vampire", walked out of that, yuck!

TRUCKER
03-May-08, 15:46
I Would Have To Say Deep Water. It Was Rubbish.

leggyweggy
03-May-08, 16:59
12 monkeys, ive tried to watch it again twice since i saw it in the cinema and i still dont get it! :roll:

the_count
03-May-08, 17:13
hey i would love to have a cinima to go to up here in the wilds of caithness. Im in wick and the nearest cinema is in thurso which is 25 miles away so its a major expedition to "go to the flicks" :lol:

percy toboggan
03-May-08, 17:15
'12 monkeys' mmm.... I tried on video..I fell asleep...notice a pattern developing.
McCaugm: 'Braveheart' !?...I'm staggered. I loved the film, especially the first hour or so. I list it in my top five regularly. Just goes to show.
I did quite like 'Layer Cake'.

gollach
03-May-08, 18:08
Natural Born Killers must feature in list of worst films. I think there is a space for Deep Water too!

joxville
03-May-08, 18:54
Another film I thought was over-rated was Star Wars. I finally watched it, after much persausion from a friend, in 1999. Well, for a 20 year old film the special effects were okay but on the whole I found it boring. Needless to say I didn't bother with the sequels/prequels.

Mister Squiggle
03-May-08, 19:23
Jerry Maguire. Hands down. The whole thing made me gag (grasping money-centred sentiments, white-toothed weirdo for a leading man who seemed to spend the whole film either crying or screaming into a telephone, obnoxious Hollywood brat-child, mentally stunted slavering lead woman) I went with some friends who waxed lyrical over it on the way home whilst I contemplated hare kiri. I just wanted to wash my eyes and ears out, it was that dire.

MadPict
03-May-08, 19:37
You fell asleep during LOTR yet you admit to enjoying the crap that seems to smother our TVs - I'm talking about these pathetic talent-search-for-a-star type of programmes. These have to be some of the worst programmes ever.

martin macdonald
03-May-08, 19:56
bridget jones diary:confused

LENSMAN
03-May-08, 19:56
Glad to see a few votes for Golden Compass.
Son wanted to see it so we went, both hated it.
Wished I'd suggested walking out as he would have agreed to go.

MadPict
03-May-08, 20:00
Funny - I went to see "Iron Man" today and two blokes sat behind us were talking about how bad the GC was...
Reckon that'll be one film I won't be watching.

Fluff
03-May-08, 20:03
What lies beneath. I fell asleep, so boring. My friend was terrified though lol!

GC was so disapointing! i LOVED the book, film could have been so much better!

Sporran
03-May-08, 20:11
So, one wouldn't go without some driving force of attraction to the movie showing. Have you ever felt 'let-down'?

In my case I'm afraid the first two 'Lord of the Rings' films were culprits. Really dreadful stuff. Some never ending journey...constant battles...a mystifying quest..I fell asleep durng the first over-long effort, and only accompanied my wife to the second one because I was feeling tired. Another nap ensued. Neither of us felt driven to see the third in the trilogy.

I also nodded off a few times during the first two LOTR films, Percy, but did not have that problem with the third one in the trilogy (Lord of the Rings:The Return of the King). Despite the fact that it was even longer than the first two by at least 20 minutes, it actually held my attention all the way through. It was much more exciting, in my opinion.

The first Star Wars prequel (The Phantom Menace) was another nodder off for me, I'm afraid. An overkill of special effects, that overtook story, plot and and acting. The second prequel wasn't quite so bad, but almost sent me dozing a couple of times. I was pleasantly surprised by the third and final episode of the saga, though. Like its LOTR counterpart, it too, was much more exciting, and captured my attention till the very last scene.

A recent film that I was very disappointed with was The Golden Compass. The trailer made it seem much more interesting than it really was. Hubby and I both felt the same way about it. The one consolation was that we saw it at a dine-in movie theatre, where the tickets are cheaper than at an ordinary cinema, and you can wine and dine whilst watching the film. At least the food and drink was good, so the evening wasn't wasted entirely!

percy toboggan
03-May-08, 20:12
You fell asleep during LOTR yet you admit to enjoying the crap that seems to smother our TVs - I'm talking about these pathetic talent-search-for-a-star type of programmes. These have to be some of the worst programmes ever.

oops sorry...yes...I prefer watching young women with decent voices singing songs in a supportive atmosphere with an end game I can understand....to seeing hairy blokes and hobbits descending into middle earth looking for summat of little consequence....oh and fighting all the time with all manner of foe....yawwwn.

I don't watch many search for a star type progs but whatever I like...if I enjoy it..I'm not pretentious enough not to say so,
LOTR to me, was a case of Emperor's new clothes. Big budget tripe.

percy toboggan
03-May-08, 20:15
Sporran: not for the first time we find ourselves on a similar wavelength...if not always tuned to the same station.

The nearest we get to a 'dine-in' cinema here is when someone flicks a piece of popcorn past yer ear.

Dog-eared
03-May-08, 20:16
Deep Water.

Sporran
03-May-08, 20:16
What lies beneath. I fell asleep, so boring. My friend was terrified though lol!

Oh now, I loved that one, Fluff! It was the first time I'd ever seen Harrison Ford play a baddie, and had me on the edge of my seat all the way through! :cool:

MadPict
03-May-08, 20:17
You sem to like the odd song so here is a LOTR song...
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/hobbits

squidge
03-May-08, 20:53
The land that time forgot - with Doug Maclure i think - dreadful - my dad took us to the ABC in Rochdale to see it - it was so bad we left half way through.

joxville
03-May-08, 21:20
Sporran: not for the first time we find ourselves on a similar wavelength...if not always tuned to the same station.

The nearest we get to a 'dine-in' cinema here is when someone flicks a piece of popcorn past yer ear.

Hilarious-comment of the day:)

I'd advise you give this link a miss, it's truly awful.
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/hobbits

joxville
03-May-08, 21:26
This will certainly upset some people but I can't stand anything with horses in it, especially if it has John Wayne too.

Too many wet Sunday afternoons as a kid and my mother insisting on watching them for the 70 millionth time. Oh God how I don't miss those dreary days, definitely a cure for insomnia.

squidge
03-May-08, 21:52
Im a bit with you on John Wayne except for The Quiet Man which is on my list of favourite films - fab fab fab

WeeBurd
03-May-08, 21:59
The Golden Compass, without a doubt. Biggest load of pants I've seen in a long time (and that's saying something :eek:). I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one who feels that way too, lol [lol]!

joxville
03-May-08, 22:15
Seems to be The Golden Compass takes the raspberries as worst film. Now if the results from this forum are replicated world-wide then it's doubtful they'll make a sequel.

Moi x
04-May-08, 02:43
Is the Golden Compass not a children's film? I've seen the trailers and it looks like Lord of the Rings for the under fives.

Moi x

rockchick
04-May-08, 04:34
hey i would love to have a cinima to go to up here in the wilds of caithness. Im in wick and the nearest cinema is in thurso which is 25 miles away so its a major expedition to "go to the flicks" :lol:

Still, it's there! You don't have to wait for the biannual appearance of the "Screen Machine" to roll into town anymore. 25 miles is at least manageable IMHO.

Mik.M.
04-May-08, 08:36
Having slept through all the Harry Potter films (not my sort of thing, It`s a childrens story after all). Spy Kids 3D has to be the worst film I`ve ever had to sit through. The things we have to go through for the kids.

joxville
04-May-08, 13:24
Having slept through all the Harry Potter films (not my sort of thing, It`s a childrens story after all). Spy Kids 3D has to be the worst film I`ve ever had to sit through. The things we have to go through for the kids.

Yet again an example of cashing in on hype. The Harry Potter books were good but, as usual, once movie makers get their hands on it they miss out most of the story. Another example of that is The DaVinci Code, where I found the film missed out huge chunks of the book. All made to suit the short attention span of American audiences-musn't keep them away from their food too long.:)

nanoo
04-May-08, 16:26
I've seen many many rotten films over the years but nearly top of the list, if not top of the list, must be without the shadow of a doubt 'Blairwitch Project' what a load of old rubbish that was. Never seen such rubbish in my life.[evil][evil]

joxville
04-May-08, 16:43
I've seen many many rotten films over the years but nearly top of the list, if not top of the list, must be without the shadow of a doubt 'Blairwitch Project' what a load of old rubbish that was. Never seen such rubbish in my life.[evil][evil]

Yeah, Blairwitch 2 was also rubbish, didn't make the story any clearer.

balto
04-May-08, 21:22
i for one dont go to the cinema, it is to expensive, to take my kids, it isnt the tickets that cost the money, it is the popcorn and the drinks just ridiculous

skinnydog
05-May-08, 08:06
For me it has to be Lost in Translation. How it got as many awards as it did is beyond me. It has to be the slowest moving, weakest plot anyone ever concocted.

porshiepoo
05-May-08, 08:22
The Golden Compass - absolute load of Tosh! Complete waste of time and money (mine).

But right up there with it would have to be 300 - what a let down, and 10,000BC - complete pants!

Sporran
05-May-08, 17:54
Yet again an example of cashing in on hype. The Harry Potter books were good but, as usual, once movie makers get their hands on it they miss out most of the story. Another example of that is The DaVinci Code, where I found the film missed out huge chunks of the book. All made to suit the short attention span of American audiences-musn't keep them away from their food too long.:)

Joxsville, your last sentence was completely uncalled for, and extremely ignorant!! [disgust] Shame on you!! Having been married to an American for many years, and having lived back and forth on both sides of the Atlantic during that time, I can assure you of this: Your comment is as inaccurate as saying all Scotsmen are like Rab C Nesbitt and that all Englishmen are like Onslow.

Margaret M.
05-May-08, 18:50
You tell him, Sporran! I find the attention spans and the waistlines of the British and the Americans to be quite similar.

obiron
05-May-08, 19:47
because its that expensive a day out i make sure i go to movies i will enjoy so the last one i watched that was a load of tosh was star trek the wrath of khan.

George Brims
05-May-08, 20:06
Another example of that is The DaVinci Code, where I found the film missed out huge chunks of the book.
It would have been better if it had missed out the whole book, which was the biggest load of drivel I have read in a long time. I have never read such a combination of a plot that at least had something going for it (so I made myself persevere to the end) and completely ridiculous detail.

joxville
05-May-08, 23:06
Joxsville, your last sentence was completely uncalled for, and extremely ignorant!! [disgust] Shame on you!! Having been married to an American for many years, and having lived back and forth on both sides of the Atlantic during that time, I can assure you of this: Your comment is as inaccurate as saying all Scotsmen are like Rab C Nesbitt and that all Englishmen are like Onslow.

I thought that would annoy someone. It was meant as a joke, hence the smiley at the end of the sentence. May I point out that in a 2005 survey 64.5% of Americans were classed as overweight or obese, however we'll save that for a new thread.:D

joxville
05-May-08, 23:11
It would have been better if it had missed out the whole book, which was the biggest load of drivel I have read in a long time. I have never read such a combination of a plot that at least had something going for it (so I made myself persevere to the end) and completely ridiculous detail.

Actually I quite agree with what you say, mainly because I've read Dan Browns first 4 books and they all follow the same theme. I won't bother reading any more of his. There was also an Illustrated DaVinci Code, which I assume was DaVinci for Dummies.:D

TBH
05-May-08, 23:22
Joxsville, your last sentence was completely uncalled for, and extremely ignorant!! [disgust] Shame on you!! Having been married to an American for many years, and having lived back and forth on both sides of the Atlantic during that time, I can assure you of this: Your comment is as inaccurate as saying all Scotsmen are like Rab C Nesbitt and that all Englishmen are like Onslow.An extremely high percentage of people in the U.S are obese. That is not a false steriotype, it's a proven fact.
I am sure Joxville could have worded it better but there are more overweight folk in the US than there are people at their ideal weight.
Now we know the answer to, "Who ate all the pies"? That was a joke by the way.

George Brims
05-May-08, 23:56
Yes, and an extremely high percentage of people in Scotland are also obese. Having moved between both countries over the last 25 years I am horrified by (1) how many really fat people America has and (2) how Scotland is catching up fast!

TBH
06-May-08, 00:07
Yes, and an extremely high percentage of people in Scotland are also obese. Having moved between both countries over the last 25 years I am horrified by (1) how many really fat people America has and (2) how Scotland is catching up fast! Scotland is fast catching up in the obecity steaks.

Sporran
06-May-08, 05:43
I thought that would annoy someone. It was meant as a joke, hence the smiley at the end of the sentence. May I point out that in a 2005 survey 64.5% of Americans were classed as overweight or obese, however we'll save that for a new thread.:D

If that was your idea of a joke, then it was in very poor taste! (No pun intended.)

An extremely high percentage of people in the U.S are obese. That is not a false steriotype, it's a proven fact.
I am sure Joxville could have worded it better but there are more overweight folk in the US than there are people at their ideal weight.
Now we know the answer to, "Who ate all the pies"? That was a joke by the way.

According to the Economic & Social Research Council (http://www.esrcsocietytoday.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentre/facts/index55.aspx)(which is British), the rate of obesity has quadrupled in the UK over the past 25 years. Over half of British adults weigh more than their recommended weight. The World Health Organisation says there has been a three-fold rise in obesity in many European countries since the 1980s. In Canada, almost 50 percent of the population is overweight or obese, and in Australia, 56 percent of adults and 27 percent of children are overweight or obese. In fact, the World Health Organisation says obesity has reached epidemic proportions globally (http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/publications/facts/obesity/en/). Evidently, the pies were not all eaten by Americans!

Sporran
06-May-08, 16:46

That film was indeed rubbish, nanoo! Luckily, we just rented it.

For me it has to be Lost in Translation. How it got as many awards as it did is beyond me. It has to be the slowest moving, weakest plot anyone ever concocted.

I agree with you, skinnydog. Hubby and I were very disappointed with that one. It's the worst movie I've ever seen Bill Murray in!

Kismet
06-May-08, 18:27
Have to say like a lot of the films criticised lol Think a film can never beat the book though.

EXCEPT.........Blair Witch Project, (rubbish) wasn't that the one with people in woods filming each other about all I remember happening, perhaps I fell asleep but am sure was just that very little happened???????? :confused

percy toboggan
06-May-08, 18:44
I saw 'Lost in Translation'...bought the dvd (again..e.bay bargain)....I thought it was poor. Murray did what Murray does...he did his best with a drab storyline, and came across laconic and laid back...I'm not a fan. Swollen lipped Scarlet J looked okay but anything set in Japan, China...or anywhere in Asia really would have to be outstanding for me to like it....it's not a part of the world to which I'm partial....in fact, at this very moment I'm wondering why I bought the beggar...either it wor really cheap..or I was drunk!

honey
06-May-08, 19:41
blair witch project 2!!!

padfoot
16-May-08, 01:45
never seen it at the cinema bt i thought (though many ppl luv this film) scarface has to b the worst film i hav seen far to violent for my liking bt i like horrors and the gory and that just did not like the violence in scarface was too much for me

percy toboggan
16-May-08, 19:43
never seen it at the cinema bt i thought (though many ppl luv this film) scarface has to b the worst film i hav seen far to violent for my liking bt i like horrors and the gory and that just did not like the violence in scarface was too much for me

Why do a few posters feel the need to resort to text style messaging when replying on 'ere like?

There should be a rule agin it.

TBH
16-May-08, 20:10
Why do a few posters feel the need to resort to text style messaging when replying on 'ere like?

There should be a rule agin it.Hang them high.

Kismet
16-May-08, 20:51

I imagine it's because they are young and that is what they are used to :D

My opinion is each to their own, it is not like it is uninterpretable

padfoot
17-May-08, 08:37

the reason i do that type of writing is coz i am used to it and as kismet said it is not uninterpratable

percy toboggan
17-May-08, 15:46
the reason i do that type of writing is coz i am used to it and as kismet said it is not uninterpratable

Neither is simple common English...and it sure reads a lot better.
Type away in text speak all you like but I , and others will dismiss much of what you say as ill presented jibberish. That's not to say we can't understand it...just 'why bother' I find it visually offensive to be honest...and I'm not easily offended.

Attempts to introduce text type speech into medium should as this one should be resisted at all costs. If shorthand laziness becomes the norm then the currency of good written English will be devalued. I cannot allow this to happen unchallenged.

You may well be a bright person with something valuable to say....given the way you insist upon expressing yourself I rather doubt it.
Surprise us and use your claimed intelligence to communicate. It requires only a little more effort.

When in Rome etc...

percy toboggan
17-May-08, 15:55
I imagine it's because they are young and that is what they are used to :D

My opinion is each to their own, it is not like it is uninterpretable

Then we differ. Of course it is not 'uninterpretable' because it has evolved...and been utilised by many on the mobile simply in the interests of brevity.

If some folk choose to employ it in innapproriate places then more fool them. To me it screams 'I'm thick, and confused by proper English and don't know how to communicate properly across generations.' I fear for the literary future of these peoples children, I really do.

Kismet
17-May-08, 16:05
Then we differ. Of course it is not 'uninterpretable' because it has evolved...and been utilised by many on the mobile simply in the interests of brevity.

If some folk choose to employ it in innapproriate places then more fool them. To me it screams 'I'm thick, and confused by proper English and don't know how to communicate properly across generations.' I fear for the literary future of these peoples children, I really do.

Yes we differ wouldn't dismiss what someone says purely because they write it badly nor assume they are not literate cos they choose to use a shortened text speech. I sometimes find it hard to tell what is being said in some cases but am prepared to read it anyways so that I get everyones point of view. Some people will ignore it or assume they are stupid, so be it, I doubt it will bother them

percy toboggan
17-May-08, 16:23
Yes we differ wouldn't dismiss what someone says purely because they write it badly nor assume they are not literate cos they choose to use a shortened text speech. I sometimes find it hard to tell what is being said in some cases but am prepared to read it anyways so that I get everyones point of view. Some people will ignore it or assume they are stupid, so be it, I doubt it will bother them

Aaah! the 'am I bovvered generation?...nope...don't s'pose it will..

...I do not confuse text speak with poor spelling or grammar...the latter is merely superficial incorrectness...the sentiments are the same...such inexactitude can often be be overlooked..whereas text speech - to me anyway- is a sign of sloppy confusion as to where one is, and a poor choice for a serious written medium.

Now.. last bit of the Cup Final calls...si'thee

Lord Flasheart
17-May-08, 16:44
I feel like Harry Hill posting at the end of that exchange .. "Theres only one way to settle this ...."

Worst film I have seen lately at the cinema was Cloverfield. What a great big steaming dollop of poo that was. I dont know about anyone else but if I saw the head of the statue of Liberty land on the road quickly followed by a scream from something that obviously isnt human I wouldnt stand there and keep filming.

The monsters arent even scary, it looks like .. well I wont tell you in case you buy the DVD (dont though) .. Its awful, avoid at all costs.

padfoot
17-May-08, 16:53
well said lord flashheart sum ppl cnt seem to stay on thread and hav to criticise other ppl yeah i seen sum of cloverfield and didnt think much of it

percy toboggan
18-May-08, 17:27
[quote=Lord Flasheart;385076]I feel like Harry Hill posting at the end of that exchange .. "Theres only one way to settle this ...."

quote]
Gr8 I up 4 that m8..choose yer weapon...padfeet...
mine is the word.
:lol:

Kismet
18-May-08, 18:04
mine is the word.

give it a rest who is the youngster between the two of you, mmmm percy perhaps Padfoot I seem to remember advised you could private message her if you had anything to say rather than go off thread obviously you prefer to have digs at people online not surprised she called you a bully

I have not seen cloverfield myself don't think I will bother now lol

Another film I hated but not many seem to agree with me is Freddy Got Fingered
I really don't think I laughed at that at all the whole way through, maybe I was having a bad day or maybe it was just not my humour, not gonna watch again to find out lol

scorrie
18-May-08, 21:55
[quote=Lord Flasheart;385076]I feel like Harry Hill posting at the end of that exchange .. "Theres only one way to settle this ...."

quote]
mine is the word.

The Word is a poor choice of weapon Percy. After all, a lame 90's effort presented by Terry Christian is hardly hard-hitting ;)

Seriously though, if you are going into battle with just ONE word, you had better make it a good one!!

scorrie
18-May-08, 21:58
Padfoot I seem to remember advised you could private message her if you had anything to say

Phew, I initially read that as "private massage"

When are Specsavers in town again?

Ricco
19-May-08, 07:22
A contentious post perhaps but...
going to 'the pictures' is a cheapish passtime and requires some effort. I'm lucky to have several multi-plexes within five miles of my house. Though I still prefer the old single screen concept with Usherettes etc...they are hard to find, even in Mancunia (though they do still exist)

Does anyone else 'not get' these films?
Due respect to those who really rate them...I'm not knocking 'em, just explaining they were not my cup o'tea.

I await any other contenders for 'worst film at the cinema' perhaps one or two of my favourites will feature.

Percy - LOTR... my bible... you've disppointed me. ;)

Seriously, I think the worst film I have ever watched was Sound of Music - dull, dull, dull.

percy toboggan
19-May-08, 18:45
Sorry padfoot...I automatically thought you were a bloke, a young bloke admittedly, but a bloke all the same....not that it makes much difference to anything o'course.