PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favourite Scottish band?

Blast!
03-May-08, 02:03
Y'see, I don't know much about older Scottish music and I know next to nothing about traditional Scottish music.

But, in your heart of heart, who is your favourite Scottish band?

I'm really not sure who mine is.

It's probably My Latest Novel. They don't get the recognition they deserve and Wolves is one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard.

You?

fender
03-May-08, 07:58
There can only be one - The S.A.H.B.

Cliff Claven
03-May-08, 11:33
Runrig are my favourite band of all time. With and without Donnie.

Other Scottish bands im a fan of, mogwai, jesus and mary chain, idlewild, big country, wolfstone, peatbog fairies...

theboysintheband
03-May-08, 17:32
Probably Belle and Sebastian...but it's definatley not The Proclaimers.

Bobbyian
03-May-08, 20:40
mine top one is probably Runrig other bands are Capercaille Peatbogfairies and of late chile hot pipers but where can one hear scottish up and coming music forms, possibly on internet radio but otherwise when nobody sends you clips and or continously patrol the net I spent ages trying to get a copy of blazingfiddles and in the end gave up .

zebedy
04-May-08, 01:22
Two words for yee!

" Biffy Clyro "

Metalattakk
04-May-08, 02:59
There can only be one - The S.A.H.B.

Quoted for truth, and no other reason.

day old blues
04-May-08, 10:56
Probably Belle and Sebastian...but it's definatley not The Proclaimers.

says it all totaly agree with that

DOC ROCK
05-May-08, 18:15
It's got to be Nazareth for me.
Here is a photo of Saxifer with our good friends from Nazareth back stage after a recent gig. Looking forward to the Finland gigs in August with Nazareth and Deep Purple. :cool:
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm260/DOCROCKPHOTOS/DSCI0122.jpg

loganbiffy
05-May-08, 21:00
Yeah i reckon it has to be Biffy Clyro for me.

Twin Atlantic are pretty good too though.....

WeeRob
06-May-08, 14:07
Wick RBLS Pipe Band!

And Teenage Fanclub.

colin stoner
06-May-08, 18:16
Has to be Biffy Clyro for me.

rob murray
07-May-08, 12:00
For me got to be Big george and the business, featuring Glaswegian guitarist, George Ross Watt. Saw the band as a three piece several time in Glasgow in the early 90's, best blues rocker I have ever seen, remember him playing a number walking over to a table picking up a pint glass and playing slide...brilliantly. Also remember a version of Little Wing that was astonishing. Loads of presence and showmanship backed up by total mastery of his instrument. Apparently played with Jimmy Dewar ( ex Robin Trower band, the UK guitar hero period 1971 - 1974 ) as a teenager and rated by BB King no less.

Second place The Poets, I knew their singer George Gallagher when I was at university....good enough to be signed by Andrew Loog Oldham when he was 19 and still great when I knew him in his mid / late 40's

The Pepsi Challenge
07-May-08, 14:54
Currently it's Miyagi, who sport a gadge from Canisbay in their ranks.

theboysintheband
07-May-08, 15:09
I hear yee! I'm pretty sure I tried to promote Miyagi on here once...no joy tho!

guitarzan
07-May-08, 19:01
aye miyagi are quality

i really like dogs die in hot cars... heard a few o the new demos but dunno what to make o them...

theboysintheband
07-May-08, 21:10
Just incase anybody is now interested in checkin' out Miyagi...

www.myspace.com/miyagimusic (http://www.myspace.com/miyagimusic)

...I wouldn't look upon them as an Edinburgh band including a boy from Canisbay. Alex writes a massive percentage of the songs. Infact...

www.myspace.com/lexingtoniii (http://www.myspace.com/lexingtoniii)

...thats his own page. Theres a mixture of stuff, original and covers, on there if you fancy havin' a listen.

DOC ROCK
08-May-08, 17:27
[quote=rob murray;381070]For me got to be Big george and the business, featuring Glaswegian guitarist, George Ross Watt. Saw the band as a three piece several time in Glasgow in the early 90's, best blues rocker I have ever seen, remember him playing a number walking over to a table picking up a pint glass and playing slide...brilliantly. Also remember a version of Little Wing that was astonishing. Loads of presence and showmanship backed up by total mastery of his instrument. Apparently played with Jimmy Dewar ( ex Robin Trower band, the UK guitar hero period 1971 - 1974 ) as a teenager and rated by BB King no less.

Great choice Rob! One of my old band mates Jimmy Murrison "Nazareth lead guitarist" used to play on occasion with Big George and the business. Here is a of photo of him in action.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm260/DOCROCKPHOTOS/DSCI0043.jpg

rob murray
12-May-08, 17:03
[quote=rob murray;381070]For me got to be Big george and the business, featuring Glaswegian guitarist, George Ross Watt. Saw the band as a three piece several time in Glasgow in the early 90's, best blues rocker I have ever seen, remember him playing a number walking over to a table picking up a pint glass and playing slide...brilliantly. Also remember a version of Little Wing that was astonishing. Loads of presence and showmanship backed up by total mastery of his instrument. Apparently played with Jimmy Dewar ( ex Robin Trower band, the UK guitar hero period 1971 - 1974 ) as a teenager and rated by BB King no less.

Great choice Rob! One of my old band mates Jimmy Murrison "Nazareth lead guitarist" used to play on occasion with Big George and the business. Here is a of photo of him in action.

Great band nazareth, I bought a couple of singles around 1973, their version of This Flight Tonight still sounds brilliant. I also had a copy of the Razzamanaz album, again great stuff. really liked the original guitar player, Manny Charlton,he carved a name out for himself as a great slide player. A guy that works for me went to school with some band members, they have been on the go since the late 60's and prior to getting a recording deal were one of the best bands around in Scotland ( so Ive been told )

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm260/DOCROCKPHOTOS/DSCI0043.jpg

Knowledge Worker Document Management

Cedric Farthsbottom III
16-May-08, 21:58
For me,Simple Minds or Big Country.The Cocteau Twins were underated but Liz's vocals were brilliant.

2little2late
19-May-08, 00:48
Definitely Deacon Blue, my favourite band of all time. Real Gone Kid is my all time favourite song. I have already suggested Dignity be played at my funeral. Don't know what it is about Ricky Ross's voice, sounds quite hoarse but makes very good use of it.

Sporran
21-May-08, 06:52
Some of my favourite Scottish bands, not in any particular order of preference:

JSD Band

Runrig

Stealers Wheel

The Average White Band

Texas

Wet Wet Wet

evelyn
21-May-08, 18:40
The Skids, Days in Europa album is a classic.
Loved Nazareth - as a spotty kid in 70`s.
SAHB - Version of Boston Tea Party on OGWT Superb.
James King and the Lone Wolves - Guitar pub/blues/rock band from Glasgow early 80`s. Heard their version of "It wasn`t me" on John Peel one night. Never heard it bettered.
Spike

Cedric Farthsbottom III
23-May-08, 21:32
Definitely Deacon Blue, my favourite band of all time. Real Gone Kid is my all time favourite song. I have already suggested Dignity be played at my funeral. Don't know what it is about Ricky Ross's voice, sounds quite hoarse but makes very good use of it.

Good shout!!!But Lorraine Ross nee McIntosh was a better singer in Deacon Blue than Ricky was.

emb123
27-May-08, 21:21
In order in terms of bands that folks have heard of: Ossian, The Battlefield Band, Simple Minds, Nik Kershaw (ok he's not really a band I know but his early stuff was really good), Marillion

If you've not heard Ossian but you like folk, do check them out, I think they were that good.