PDA

View Full Version : English and Welsh thumbs down for Brown...

percy toboggan
02-May-08, 18:58
I'll not besmirch these august Caledonian pages with an analysis of elections south of two borders, but the Kirkcaldy Kid will be smarting a bit tonight. You may not be interested in the Tory march. Verdict july delivered by the masses ..and that's as many months of the year as I can possibly squeeze in...:cool:

http://t0boggan.wordpress.com/

scotsboy
02-May-08, 19:05
Swing to the right, or a protest vote? How did UKIP, BNP, the Greens and other "minority" parties get on?

percy toboggan
02-May-08, 19:10
Swing to the centre, from the centre methinks..do left and right count for much as terms anymore in mainstream British politics?
BNP gained about 25% of the vote around here, and with it, a council seat...first around here....a look at their policies suggests it's not a right wing party - save for immigration, obviously.
Turnout hovered arond 35%...or just under.
I wrote a bit about this on me blog...didn't want to go into it here for fear of upsetting folk.
www.t0boggan.wordpress.com (http://www.t0boggan.wordpress.com)

MadPict
02-May-08, 19:21
Have Londoners had enough of Slimy Ken? It's looking like he is going to be having to empty his desk - Boris Johnson seems to be ahead in the London Mayor election.
Glad that prat Paddick is trailing way behind in third....

percy toboggan
02-May-08, 19:48
Johnson has a chance to stamp a Conservative footprint onto the great Metropolis. Voters will view his early days as a portent of a wider , national impact of a re-vitalised party. I have never voted Conservative in any election that mattered but I might next time, so desperate am I to get rid of New Labour.

If Boris does get to grips with law and order, contact with the ordinary Londoner and clears out some of the loonier posts in City Hall - diversity nonsense and the like - then he may well carry the banner for Cameron into the next general election.

Incidentally, I must be getting desperate if I'm looking to to an ex-Etonian toff to improve my perceptions of my country...and my hopes of halting its slide to the status of angry,drunken, violent, unruly offshore component of a European beanfest.
Indeed I am....so deep have my perceptions sunk.

TBH
02-May-08, 20:34
And a big thumbs down for Wendy Alexander from her own support.
The times they are a changin'.

Kenn
02-May-08, 21:18
I did broach the subject as to whether or not gordon Brown was electable some while back and we seem to have had a few indicators at this latest round of polling.
Well wonder what the result will be in London, am off to see it they have finished counting!

Anne x
02-May-08, 21:27
[quote=MadPict;379631]Have Londoners had enough of Slimy Ken? It's looking like he is going to be having to empty his desk - Boris Johnson seems to be ahead in the London Mayor election

At last sense !!! even though Boris hasnt a scooby about how much a litre of milk costs or a loaf of bread

Now all we need is a mature and ready for the job Hague back tongue in cheek

Gordon should of stuck to Chancellor and not coveted what another man had !!!
Milleband waiting in the wings me thinks but which brother who knows

TBH
02-May-08, 22:03
Milleband waiting in the wings me thinks but which brother who knowsGod, I hope not.

Anne x
02-May-08, 22:23
God, I hope not.

me 2 !!!

If Maggie had not championed Hague quite so soon all because of his young conservative speech zilch years ago

we would of had a worthy leader

MadPict
03-May-08, 00:37
The results are finally in...

I have some empty boxes if you want them Ken....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7380947.stm

Muahahahahaha...

bekisman
03-May-08, 07:46
Poor Labour; Old Labour did not work, New Labour lost Scotland, The English Councils, and now London, Oh dear...

percy toboggan
03-May-08, 08:07
Labour is a party of cause. The cause was won some time ago.
I'd guess the tipping point came sometime in the eighties whenthe majority aspired towards property ownership, and was accelerated in the nineties when foreign holidays and newer cars became des rigeur for Joe Bloggs.

The true underdogs now are the disaffected white underclass..uneducated teenagers...drug dependant wasters...alienated immigrants and the like.
Perhaps a new champion for these diverse groups will emerge, and rise phoenix like from the ashes of a post working class orientated Britain. Perhaps not.

Certainly the indebted , those struggling to pay off their debts will not look to Labour for the forseeable future. For these groups are aspirers, that's what got them in to debt in the first place...and greed...surely not the hallmarks of Hardie, Attlee & Gaitskell. Labour are heading for their spell in the wilderness, unless something really strange happens, or Boris reduces London to the status of Lagos in double quick time.

Meanwhile as the BNP attract 5% of the vote in London...they take up their first seat on the London Assembly. This need not have happened had the party of causes past not embarked upon a new one of admitting the world and his wives to an already overcrowded metropolis.

mccaugm
03-May-08, 13:48
:confusedGordon Brown is dour, dull and depressing with the charisma of a lump of coal. He has zero leadership qualities and rarely keeps his promises, no wonder people are choosing the Tories.

Cameron may be a jumped up public school boy but at least he has something interesting about him and a better leadership style. I have always voted Labour (better the devil you know) never SNP (waste of a good vote). Conservative seems the better bet currently!

Also has anyone noticed Gordon is now using the mannerisms of his predecessor?

MadPict
03-May-08, 15:59
How dare you insinuate that Brown has the same charisma as a lump of coal. Coal is far more charismatic (and useful)...

Kenn
03-May-08, 16:03
Rolls about laughing!

joxville
03-May-08, 16:19
One of the very few times I've voted was back in '97 because I genuinely believed the promise's of Labour. Well, wasn't I left looking a fool, along with the so many others that were also taken in by the gloss of Tony and co.

I thought that they were a real alternative and a breath of fresh air after 18 years of Tory rule, and for a while they were, maybe for a couple of years but eventually they went the way of the previous Tory Government- we're in power and damn you, damn the Great British decent, law-abiding majority. Welcome the Wicked Witch and her European Charter, lost causes, higher immigration, highest ever taxes and political spin.

I'm not allowed to swear on this Forum but I for one am glad Boris won London and now Labour is realising it has been told where to go.

Roll on the next General Election.

mccaugm
03-May-08, 17:12
http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/ne/rtrs/20080503/08/3130451924-conservative-party-candidate-johnson-congratulated-livingstone-winning-london-mayoral-election.jpg?x=180&y=217&q=75&sig=h1WjqKsD7KqAl3sp1tqkjg-- (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080503/img/ppl-conservative-party-cand-bb8099f21fc70.html)

For someone who has just been voted in as Mayor, he looks miserable. Also his body language is a bit stilted. Ken is congratualting him but he shows no response...whats that about? Does anyone else think Boris is bonkers or wasn't he known as something similar?;)

percy toboggan
03-May-08, 17:18
He's an accomplished writer and a highly intelligent, well educated man.
Obviously this is the stiffest test.
If he makes a John Henry Halls of it then Cameron will not be pleased, because the criticism will be aimed at the wider Tory assault on power.

I agree, his body language looks strange in the selected photo. I'd rather have a pint with Boris than Ken though to be honest...wouldn't you? Not much of a ringing endorsement I agree but he seems more humaan...and importantly has done other things besides mere 'politicking'

brokencross
03-May-08, 17:21
Saw the clip this photo still is from on TV this morning, Boris was listening intently to someone making a speech or announcing the result; when he noticed Red Kens hand being extended he smiled and shook it warmly. I like Boris, I am sure he is a very clever and able chap who is just a bit eccentric and doesn't take himself too seriously.

TBH
03-May-08, 17:27
Could he be benny's secret lovechild?
http://www.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/1/285x214/43254_1.jpghttp://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/entertainment_itv_at_50/img/7.jpg

percy toboggan
03-May-08, 17:29
So...perhaps he finally caught one of those girlies he was always chasing !

the charlatans
03-May-08, 17:30
I think Boris will be highly entertaining for us all not living anywhere near London. He'll certainly be in 'Have I got News for you' alot.

Not sure if he'd be my choice of Mayor, but he's been chosen 'by the people for the people' so I'll sit back and watch his progress with interest.

He is a highly intelligent person but my goodness he's good at putting his foot in it. What do you think, if Boris does a good job could he go for Prime Minister? George Bush would look like a saint next to him.

percy toboggan
03-May-08, 17:34
I hope Boris has a strong wife. She 's already proved to be a very tolerant one.
He needs to put aside foolish, and childish things:Corinthians, I believe Chapter 13...
perhaps the only Biblical reference I'll ever use..or indeed know (Mum's favourite).
Perhaps, when then the time is right it is the only one you'll ever need.

MadPict
03-May-08, 19:20
For someone who has just been voted in as Mayor, he looks miserable. Also his body language is a bit stilted. Ken is congratualting him but he shows no response...whats that about? Does anyone else think Boris is bonkers or wasn't he known as something similar?;)

Amazing how if they had shown the frames a bit further on you'd see him shaking Red Ken's hand - but then that wouldn't be as good a pic....

(If you watch right at the end of Livingstone's speech (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7381594.stm) as he walks back Boris and Ken extend their hands...)

MadPict
03-May-08, 20:08
You forgot to mention all the sleaze and corruption they also swore to be above....

Boozeburglar
04-May-08, 12:09
From the Miner's strikes to the Poll Tax to kissing Pinochet's behind, Archer, Aitken, Porter, Hamilton and the rest were as sleazy and corrupt as the lot that replaced them.

Don't imagine for a moment you will be getting anything different if you vote the New Tories in.

Yes it is ironic that New Labour promised to get rid of all that; but not nearly as ironic as the fact Major was harping on about Family Values whilst enjoying a Currie on a regular basis.

Brown may be like a rabbit caught in the headlights, but I believe he is a genuine man.

The Tories may smell victory in the distance, but its faint smell has far more to do with Blair having lingered too long and the naivety of the voting public, who get itchy feet after ten years of anyone, than anything proactive the New Tory party has done.

A week is a long time in politics, but Brown has at least a couple more YEARS.

Crow as much as you like, but it is no foregone conclusion that the Tories will return next election.

Look at their leader. At best he is a Blair clone of the most superficial construction; at the worst he is an unprincipled man, scared of his own past and unable to accept it is now of public interest. His failure to come clean over his recreational drug use is going to haunt him during the next General Election.

He should have revealed all; allowing time for the electorate to adjust. There are individuals and newspapers sitting on stories, I feel, waiting for the time to strike.

Brown has been handed the now poisonous chalice, and events have conspired to make him look less of the man I feel he is.

If you look at events early in his premiership, you can see how easy it is to go from hero to zero. Works the other way too.

As for London, Boris was stunned to win, and the margin was very narrow.

The Lib Dem candidate should have stood down and allowed Ken the votes he needed.

However, we are where we are.

Boris has quite rightly indicated he may find a role for Ken.

Why do you think that is?

He wants to avoid the inevitable seeping wound of a huge thorn in his side.

The potential to succeed is there for Johnson, along with a huge possibility to fail.

Livingstone is one of the greatest figures in British politics, and is dearly loved by many in London.

Next time he will be back, and most likely under a Tory Government who will be unable to abolish him this time around.

I also feel a somewhat inevitable pull towards further Scottish devolution with the spectre of a Tory regime looming.

So whilst there is a strong chance for the New Tory machine to blitzkrieg into Downing Street, they will be operating in a Tory enclave in London, and their victory will possibly divide the North and South of this island permanently.

I could live with that.

C'mon the Blues!

scotsboy
04-May-08, 12:38
I just cannot see anything that I have in common with either Cameron or Boris, they are as far from representative of the UK population as you can get. As someone whose could be considered right of centre, I take no comfort from the rise of the Tories.

percy toboggan
04-May-08, 17:37
I just cannot see anything that I have in common with either Cameron or Boris, they are as far from representative of the UK population as you can get. As someone whose could be considered right of centre, I take no comfort from the rise of the Tories.

So, as 'someone right of centre' to whom do you look for comfort?

Britain has been in decline for as long as I can remember...the recent 'boom' has been built on cheap debt, careless lending and reckless borrowing.

There is little doubt in my mind that any future Tory Government will , ultimately be as big a disaster as New Labour has proved.
All these politicians are doing is trying to keep the lid on a failed society in a long, long period of post-industrial decline. The only reason they are doing it is to line their own pockets...except perhaps from some of the landed Tories you have such little faith in.

With a growing wealth gap, and half made up of a disaffected rump which is growing into a bourgeoning poorly educated underclass Great Britain is one deep recession away from massed riots, civil unrest and a shattering polarisation of different communities as estranged from each other as chalk and cheese.

The other rump...of deeply indebted wage earners will be too much in hock to escape. Man and wife often working ful-time...paying out many hundreds of pounds per month just for a roof over their heads...their kids in failing schools...or costing them a fortune at chilminders and nursery...the concept of stable, married family life with the mother staying at home is scorned....or it doesn't 'pay enough' ...many people want their cake and eat it you see.

The only sensible alternative is to get out, or get to the geographical margins.I'm lucky to have lived in a country which has been only slowly disappearing down the pan since before I was born. Perhaps I'll have left the stage before the final flush sends it hurtling towards the main drain of a western Europe well past it's sell-by date.

The emergence of powerhouse economies in India, and of course China will marginalise Britain economically...if we are lucky...they will buy that which is worth buying and keep us in paid servitude...what goes around, comes around.

MadPict
04-May-08, 19:52
News that Euan Blair is getting a cushy job in the Morgan Stanley investment bank which has Jonathan Powell (Bliars former right hand henchman) as a senior executive makes you realise it's all about feathering your own nest...

Oh and Bliar has just spent £4m on buying Gielguds old home. They now have 6 homes -
Connaught Square, Central London - bought for £3.5m
Archery Close, Central London - bought for £800,000 (two properties)
The Panoramic, Bristol - bought for £525,000 witht he help of a convicted fraudster
Myrobella, Trimdon Colliery, Co Durham - bought for £30,000 but now valued at £250,000

And all while some people can't even afford to buy a one room flat to live in. Ahhhh, Nu Labour - Working for richer politicians....

Tilter
04-May-08, 21:26
Long but excellent post Boozeburglar, especially
Boris has quite rightly indicated he may find a role for Ken.

Why do you think that is?

Livingstone is one of the greatest figures in British politics, and is dearly loved by many in London.
Boris had better find a post for Red Ken and hope he takes it up - otherwise he'll be snookered (or hoisted on his own toff petard shall we say?).

I also feel a somewhat inevitable pull towards further Scottish devolution with the spectre of a Tory regime looming.
Fraid you're right there.

So whilst there is a strong chance for the New Tory machine to blitzkrieg into Downing Street, they will be operating in a Tory enclave in London, and their victory will possibly divide the North and South of this island permanently.

I could live with that.
Maybe you could, but I would prefer not to.

Kenn
04-May-08, 23:14
Do I detect a couple of "Grumpy old men," there Bozzeburglar and Mad Pict?

WHAT you don't believe our politicans are honest men, shame on you!
Puts tongue in cheek.

Anne x
04-May-08, 23:47
News that Euan Blair is getting a cushy job in the Morgan Stanley investment bank which has Jonathan Powell (Bliars former right hand henchman) as a senior executive makes you realise it's all about feathering your own nest...

Oh and Bliar has just spent £4m on buying Gielguds old home. They now have 6 homes -
Connaught Square, Central London - bought for £3.5m
Archery Close, Central London - bought for £800,000 (two properties)
The Panoramic, Bristol - bought for £525,000 witht he help of a convicted fraudster
Myrobella, Trimdon Colliery, Co Durham - bought for £30,000 but now valued at £250,000

And all while some people can't even afford to buy a one room flat to live in. Ahhhh, Nu Labour - Working for richer politicians....

that is just shocking how many homes do they actually require ""New Labour ""eh and the working class some people cannot afford the home they have and there offspring are waiting on dead mans shoes to get on the property ladder especially in our capital city

TBH
05-May-08, 01:03
All politicians are in it for financial gain, nothing new there.
They promise us the earth, don't deliver and we fall for it time and time again.
They rip us off left, right and centre with their exorbitant expenses and we do nothing about it bar a few token mumps and moans on internet forums then we stand back and let them shaft us.
When are we going to realise, "wait a minute, there's something going wrong around here".

Moi x
05-May-08, 02:24
What are you going to do about your perceived problem then TBH? Will you continue to sit and whinge about politicians on internet forums or will you go out there and put your effort where your mouth is?

Moi x

Flair
05-May-08, 09:38
We don't need the Tories back in; look what happened the last time. Personally I was quite satisfied with Tony, he did a good enough job for me.

I might not care much for polotics since I'm just not big on bureaucrats, but I will do my bit to help keep the Tories out.

A vote for anyone else is a vote for the Tories. :eek: