PDA

View Full Version : "Tar balls" in Sinclair bay

Sapphire2803
02-May-08, 15:19
I spotted this earlier on BBC news site.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7380163.stm

Kevin Milkins
02-May-08, 16:28
Has anyone been down to Reiss/Keiss beach today? I found this story on BBC news http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7380163.stm

Anyone noticed a clean up going on? It says they are asking people to stay off the beach until they are finished.

I go down Reiss beach almost every day and was down there till 8-oclock last night and all was as normal.

Solus
02-May-08, 16:33
yup i got down there about 8.30 9 pm ish, never noticed anything. Although I did notice last week a large number of birds, mainly gullimots dead, one day i counted 7 that i could see at the high water mark, next day 5 .

johnlc
02-May-08, 16:58
we went dwn there bout 12 is afternoon and we werent allowed to go dwn,there was lots of council vans etc

kas
02-May-08, 18:21
Appears to be an oil spill, 14km by 3m. Highland council and other services are trying to contain it as much as possible. Who knows what could happen as a result. Sspca are assesing the situation and BDMLR are on standby, should any oiled birds or mammals be found.

Seabird
02-May-08, 20:57
Just informed aerial survey found oil slick as cleared and once the beach is cleaned all should be ok after this evening High Tide.
Well done all those involved in the clean up and the investigation.
Lets hope the ship involved can be traced and a prosecution if justified brought against the owners and captain.

Tugmistress
02-May-08, 21:36
it wasn't tar it is oil, there has been an oil 'spill' early hours this morning. Sepa etc been cleaning it up, looks like all of it washed up on the tide today from what i understand. I was informed about this this afternoon by SNH.

TRUCKER
02-May-08, 21:40
No Sign Of Sepa, Plenty Of Council Workers

TBH
02-May-08, 22:06
it wasn't tar it is oil, there has been an oil 'spill' early hours this morning. Sepa etc been cleaning it up, looks like all of it washed up on the tide today from what i understand. I was informed about this this afternoon by SNH.It says, "Globules of oil called tar balls".

TRUCKER
02-May-08, 22:29
Was There Cleaning It Up It Is Oil.

TBH
02-May-08, 22:37
It says, "Globules of oil called tar balls".

Was There Cleaning It Up It Is Oil.Going by the news report, it is oil but called tar balls.

Tighsonas4
03-May-08, 13:46
TAR BALLS
some of these balls have been found on staxigoe beach this morning
hard to see amongst the stones regards tony

percy toboggan
03-May-08, 17:40
There was a report of these globular ball-like pollutants on BBC Five-live this morning.
Suspicion is a passing tanker flushed out it's tanks. Highly illegal...the skipper should be clamped in irons.

I hope the damage is limited, and extend sympathies to all with an affinity for those waters and the beaches...locals and tourists alike. I hope the wildlife can cope.
When our dirty, industrial world impinges on the pure, raw beauty of a place like North-East Scotland the vigour of volunteers and professionals alike is a great credit to all concerned.

Good luck.

carasmam
03-May-08, 18:40
I have never seen so many cars going down the Reiss beach road as there were today :roll: Its as if because they are not allowed they have to go and see why :confused

Tighsonas4
03-May-08, 20:45
TAR ON BEACH
have been at staxigoe harbour and the highland council have posters up
says its crude oil particles on beach
warning about children or pets regards tony

Kevin Milkins
04-May-08, 23:57
I went down to Freswick beach today and all was clean down there.
Does anybody know if the Reiss beach is open and cleaned yet?

George Brims
05-May-08, 20:23
"Tar found on beach"

And in other news, the sun is expected to rise tomorrow.

Tighsonas4
05-May-08, 20:25
TAR ON BEACH
dont know about reiss beach but the signs were still up at keiss and staxigoe tonight kevin regards tony

Liz
05-May-08, 22:01
The signs are still up at Reiss but there were a lot of folk on the beach today with children and dogs.:confused

the_count
07-May-08, 17:38
ok spotted a huge amount of oil down near the trinkie south of wick and yes we reported it ....... to the council (inverness,yes thats what i said INVERNESS lol) (was out of hours so i might forgive em)
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll318/countlicker/plants%20and%20stuff/P1040036.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll318/countlicker/plants%20and%20stuff/P1040037.jpg

Seabird
07-May-08, 20:12
Reported in local Paper that the oil probably came from the Beatrice Oil Field from platform A (thats the big one).
The oil found on the beaches are a near match to their oil.
It was reported that they spilled an estimated at 250k of the stuff.
They have now offered to pay the council for the cost of the clean up.
I'm afraid the money wont do much for the wildlife that may have died at sea.
And did they report the spill when it occured ??

Liz
07-May-08, 22:23
Yes I also wonder did they report it or were they 'found out'?:roll:

Sadly, as you say Seabird, money will not bring back the innocent casualties. I think a hefty donation to the RSPB and Marine Mammal Medics is in order?!!!!

benji
07-May-08, 22:35
IF the spill is from Beatrice then Talisman (current operator) are duty bound to report it and it is unlikely that they were found out. Even (comparitively) small spils have to be notified.

However 250k (250,000 barrels or ltrs or gallons????) (I suspect its 250,000 ltrs) is an awful lot of to spil and I hope the authorities ensure it is effectively dealt with via fines

Kevin Milkins
07-May-08, 22:39
Is it a coincidence that the place down at Grangemouth has been on shut down.
If the oil is not coming up the pipe would that cause a problem at the field?

benji
07-May-08, 22:41
Nah you can "shut-in" the wells (ie close them at surface). In anycase I am sure that Beatrice is not connected to the Forties pipeline

the_count
08-May-08, 03:37
Didn't realise the spill was that big.!!!![disgust]

attidude9464
08-May-08, 23:34
Yes I also wonder did they report it or were they 'found out'?:roll:

Sadly, as you say Seabird, money will not bring back the innocent casualties. I think a hefty donation to the RSPB and Marine Mammal Medics is in order?!!!!

Just for your information, the Scottish SPCA are dealing with any live oiled birds. RSPB are monitoring the area but are not dealing with the live birds and there has of yet been no reports of any sick mammals.

~~Tides~~
09-May-08, 09:47
There are slodges of oil all the way out from the North Baths to the north head. THe dog got it all over his paws last night!