PDA

View Full Version : Get Your Game?

Bloo
02-May-08, 14:40
I was just looking through the various threads and forums and noticed alot of people are selling/asking for a copy of GTA IV. So? Did anyone get it? I did, as i went down to woolies 1st thing in the mornin[lol]

balto
02-May-08, 15:03
cant believe how quick they sold out, i work in woolies and we sold all our copys by 3 on the tuesday, they were even out of stock on the instore ordering by the end of the day.

dirdyweeker
02-May-08, 16:46
My son got his delivered on Wednesday from play.com

dandod
02-May-08, 16:51
cant get it anywhere. i think it is going to be a couple of weeks before any shops get it back in.

hotrod4
02-May-08, 17:27
I got mine from woolies at 10am on Tuesday as Tesco had already sold out!.
Must admit it is by far the best game EVER and thats from a die hard battlefield fan !!!!.
Have loved this series from start to date, they just get better and better.

sam
02-May-08, 18:14
they have them on sale on amazon, If i have the right one that is dont know much about these games

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=grand+auto+4&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=689604009&ref=pd_sl_20s0lo0dow_b

dirdyweeker
02-May-08, 18:17
cant get it anywhere. i think it is going to be a couple of weeks before any shops get it back in.

play.com
You do not even have to pay for delivery and they are usually fast.

percy toboggan
02-May-08, 18:23
I understand this game centres on violence, theft, prostitution and drugs.
Is this a correct impression?

As someone who has owned a computer for fifteen years and never played a single game on it I am far from an expert.

However, if my information is correct then it's surely important that only adults take part in this seemingly popular passtime when it comes to 'games' like Grand Theft Auto.

I wonder just how many brain dead parents will buy copies for their younger children.
I also wonder just how many women would bother with such a game as this.
I'm doing a lot of wondering for a Friday, I know...not trying to stir the pot unecessarily but these passtimes are becoming important indicators of how a society is fairing behind closed doors up and down the land.

mums angels
02-May-08, 19:57
My son got his delivered on Wednesday from play.com

hubby pre ordered his and was delivered also on Wednesday from play.com

mums angels
02-May-08, 20:01

As someone who has owned a computer for fifteen years and never played a single game on it I am far from an expert.

However, if my information is correct then it's surely important that only adults take part in this seemingly popular passtime when it comes to 'games' like Grand Theft Auto.

I wonder just how many brain dead parents will buy copies for their younger children.
I'm doing a lot of wondering for a Friday, I know...not trying to stir the pot unecessarily but these passtimes are becoming important indicators of how a society is fairing behind closed doors up and down the land.

it has got alot of that in it , i for one wouldnt let my son(age 6) play it and his dad will only play it when hes not around , my son had the earlierversion of it for psp that was given to him but as soon as i realised what it was like it was confiscated but must say he just seemed to run around and drive the cars he hadnt realised that you could do other things .

EDDIE
02-May-08, 23:14
it might be a blessing in disguise there is supposed to be faults in the program and ther working on a patch for it it might be worth waiting a couple of months until they have rectified it so your bought disk has the patch on it

joxville
02-May-08, 23:37
it has got alot of that in it , i for one wouldnt let my son(age 6) play it and his dad will only play it when hes not around , my son had the earlierversion of it for psp that was given to him but as soon as i realised what it was like it was confiscated but must say he just seemed to run around and drive the cars he hadnt realised that you could do other things .

My son is 11 and although I don't agree with kids his age having access to these sort of games, he can play them when he's visiting friend's as not all parent's care about the game content, so they will buy it.

nikki
02-May-08, 23:41
Originally Posted by percy toboggan

To be honest I don't see what all the fuss about the game is about, I'm looking forward to buying is asap, I've completed all the games in the series so far and I haven't turned into a prostitute, or a homicidal maniac. I'm not saying young kids should be allowed to play it, as they might be a little disturbed by it, but the majority of people from age 13 upwards aren't (I wouldn't think). There have been hundreds of millions of these games sold world wide, if they were such a bad influence do you not think someone would have noticed by now.
And as for
I also wonder just how many women would bother with such a game as this. You say your not trying to stir the pot, but it seems like you've deliberately stick in an electric whisk and turned it on full power. I'm a female and I love these games. I have many friends who are also female and, not surprisingly, most of them can't wait to get their hands on a copy of this latest edition either. You say you've never played these games, yet your happy to sit and claim that these are showing how much society is deteriorating. I think millions of people who keep coming back for more of these games would have to disagree.
Just out of curiosity, what's your favourite pass-time?

Nivelo
02-May-08, 23:49
Yeah I was up at Tesco at 5:45am and there was about 20 people waiting to get it. Played it from 6am through to 11pm. I also think parents have a bit of a duty to understand that although it is just a video game and that parents might not ever play them, they should realise that it has an 18 cetificate on it for a very good reason.

I have seen people in the news saying that it shouldent be out because of the violence in it, but at the same time it should be the responsibility of those buying it to make sure it doesn't get into the hands of children.

lol just my two cents

Metalattakk
03-May-08, 08:10

Not entirely, but yes, it does feature these things.

Yes. That's why it has an '18' certificate.

Many. Unfortunately. Blame the parent, not the game.

Many.

Nonsense. 18 year olds don't particularly join in too much in your perfect family all-sitting-down-together-for-Sunday-Lunch scenario anyway, and not just because they're too busy playing GTA4.

That's a rather short-sighted viewpoint, if you don't mind me saying. (Even if you do mind me saying - tough. :D)

percy toboggan
03-May-08, 08:31
...That's a rather short-sighted viewpoint, if you don't mind me saying. (Even if you do mind me saying - tough. :D)

No,don't hold back you can say what you like within limits imposed by the .org - I seldom, if ever take offence.

Personally , I think the short-sighted analagy might be aproropriate. For if people get their kicks by stealing imaginary cars and picking up imaginary prostitutes whilst transacting in imaginary drug deals one wonders where the myopia manifests most. Within those who indulge - who might be better served by simply smeling the roses, the coffee, or just going for a brisk walk...or within folk like me who might float concerns about nouveau leisure pursuits.

...Just out of curiosity, what's your favourite pass-time?

I like to write...opinionate...and learn (currently French) ...I also like to travel....I love to drive my car northward when I can.. My mind is full of stuff, trivial or otherwise and I'm fortunate in having an inbuilt resistance to artificial stimulants like violent video games, prostitution by proxy and nicking pretend cars.

For the lady who said her 'six year old does not play' or is not allowed to play may I breathe a heavy sigh of relieve on your childs behalf...I can see you are responsible parent...anyone who would countenance a child of such tender years taking part in this kind of activity should be locked up and sterilised.

Were I married to someone who played this kind of thing on a regular basis
I'd have another hobby...looking for a new wife.

squidge
03-May-08, 09:45
Strikes me that GTA 4 is a game like pulp fiction is a film - neither are real life, the game even less likely to be confused with real life because its actually a cartoon. Even given to a 13 year old this game is not likely to turn him or her into a gun wielding drug dealing prostitute using thug. The Bruce plays these games and enjoys them as a form of relaxation. He doesnt play them to the exclusion of everything else - except the washing up occasionally....:roll: we still do the re enactment thingies, he walks, chops wood, works as a motorbike instructor - all these things are part of his life and his leisure time GTA 4 is simply another pastime.

Bloo
03-May-08, 15:21
The game is an 18 yes. If you have a responsible child who is not influenced by these things then very much so, its ok in my opinion, and to be honest if you disagree with me im frankly not interested. Most kids arent the people that see someone on a game takin drugs and go "I gotta get me some of that!" are they now? No! It CAN be a bad influence BUT if there is a problem, TAKE THE GAME AWAY. The certificate is there for a reason, dont agree with it, dont buy it, simple.

percy toboggan
03-May-08, 16:56
The game is an 18 yes. If you have a responsible child who is not influenced by these things then very much so, its ok in my opinion, and to be honest if you disagree with me im frankly not interested. Most kids arent the people that see someone on a game takin drugs and go "I gotta get me some of that!" are they now? No! It CAN be a bad influence BUT if there is a problem, TAKE THE GAME AWAY. The certificate is there for a reason, dont agree with it, dont buy it, simple.

You concede the 'certificate is there for a reason'
yet you go on to contradict the reason....and you're not interested in any conter view?:confused
Why then would you feel motivated to float an opinion, albeit it a totally self-contradictory one. Or are you preaching here.
It takes all sorts I suppose.

Incidentally therte is no such things as a 'responsible child' Adults have to be responsible on their behalf...part of the joy of true childhood is that responsibilities merely lie ahead. I would not want to pollute that state of childhood with adult themed games...if you can call the themes adult...I prefer the term 'dubious' at best.

percy toboggan
03-May-08, 17:02
Strikes me that GTA 4 is a game like pulp fiction is a film - neither are real life, the game even less likely to be confused with real life because its actually a cartoon. Even given to a 13 year old this game is not likely to turn him or her into a gun wielding drug dealing prostitute using thug. The Bruce plays these games and enjoys them as a form of relaxation. He doesnt play them to the exclusion of everything else - except the washing up occasionally....:roll: we still do the re enactment thingies, he walks, chops wood, works as a motorbike instructor - all these things are part of his life and his leisure time GTA 4 is simply another pastime.

I understand the graphics on this latest version of the game are incredibly lifelike. Although I'm never likely to be able to confirm this first hand. I find your overt willingness to explain participation in this 'game' as an element of a rounded life quite revealing. Almost as though an explanation is necessary.

dandod
03-May-08, 20:25
Not entirely, but yes, it does feature these things.

Yes. That's why it has an '18' certificate.

Many. Unfortunately. Blame the parent, not the game.

Many.

Nonsense. 18 year olds don't particularly join in too much in your perfect family all-sitting-down-together-for-Sunday-Lunch scenario anyway, and not just because they're too busy playing GTA4.

That's a rather short-sighted viewpoint, if you don't mind me saying. (Even if you do mind me saying - tough. :D)

have you ever got anything constructive to say apart arguing with everyone looking for the slightest fault to start a argument well here's my viewpoint no one likes you and you have no friends and this is what you get when you always come on and turn completely innocent thread in to so kind of insult to someone............

squidge
03-May-08, 20:51
I find your overt willingness to explain participation in this 'game' as an element of a rounded life quite revealing. Almost as though an explanation is necessary.

Thats cos it IS part of a rounded life, I think its everything in moderation Percy thats all - if all the Bruce was doing was playing his xbox to the exclusion of everything and everyone else then its not good, if all he was doing was working every hour gods sends with no time for anything else thats not good either... and as you didnt seem to understand why and when people enjoy this game i thought an illustration WAS necessary.

AS for the 18 certificate well I deal with it in a game as I would deal with a film with that certificate too - Im inclined to agree with Bloo - I would look at it and decide whether I thought it was suitable for my 13 year old regardless of which certificate it has. I have allowed my 13 year old to watch some 18 films and yet i have not allowed him to watch some 15 certificate films. He is my child I decide what is and isnt suitable for him and that is based on common sense and compromise

Metalattakk
04-May-08, 01:08
have you ever got anything constructive to say apart arguing with everyone looking for the slightest fault to start a argument well here's my viewpoint no one likes you and you have no friends and this is what you get when you always come on and turn completely innocent thread in to so kind of insult to someone............

Wow. That's some problem you have. I'd seek some sort of help. Quickly.

Kismet
15-May-08, 15:19

I am a woman and a parent I would not let young kids play this but I love it my daughter loves it but she is now a mother herself and her friend stayed up to three o clock in the morning playing it. It is a really really good game lol

padfoot
15-May-08, 22:56
yip i hav to agree not played the new game bt am sure i will luv it as hav played all the other they were great runnin ppl over and pickin up prostitutes was well fun haha also found it good for frustration if i was mad just go on run over a whole lot of ppl tada frustration gone haha

percy toboggan
16-May-08, 19:29
yip i hav to agree not played the new game bt am sure i will luv it as hav played all the other they were great runnin ppl over and pickin up prostitutes was well fun haha also found it good for frustration if i was mad just go on run over a whole lot of ppl tada frustration gone haha

The way you have presented your thoughts suggests you posess the kind of mentality which might derive joy from such pursuits.
Having followed the thread it's obvious not everyone who plays this game is semi-literate.

I've noticed a number of advertising posters depicting some kind of Eastern European gangster figure promoting this game & I'm afraid they've done little to deflect my original train of thought.

One day I hope such games are seen as a generational abberation...a blot on the remnants of the 'oil-age' with their designers discredited, and stripped of their assets....electronic leisure pursuits elevated beyond the tawdry and the acquisitive aura of the gutter.

Kismet
17-May-08, 09:40
Long may they keep catering for everyone in the games market, GTA are good games and am sure don't influence people for the worse are light hearted relief

Perhaps after seeing chewing the fat we will be seeing grand theft thurso released [lol][lol][lol]

padfoot
17-May-08, 12:14
[quote=percy toboggan;384766]The way you have presented your thoughts suggests you posess the kind of mentality which might derive joy from such pursuits.
Having followed the thread it's obvious not everyone who plays this game is semi-literate.

why would u think ppl who play the game r semi-literate and i certainly am not i happen to read a whole book a day at the least! and can write perfectly well it is not my problem that u hav difficulty with simple txt speech, just because it may or may not b your type of game the game is still fun u hav missions to do other stuff to do things to collect plus its quite hard u hav to b quite skilled to complete all the missions as sum r very hard and u hav to hav presicion altogether very well made game and i would b considering buyin a xbox 360 just to get the game

and any lack in my education is from picky ppl who bullied me in highschool and even through all that i am very bright, it seems there may be a few bullies on the org too bt im not as young as i was in highschool and its water off a ducks bk

percy toboggan
17-May-08, 15:38
[quote=percy toboggan;384766]The way you have presented your thoughts suggests you posess the kind of mentality which might derive joy from such pursuits.

why would u think ppl who play the game r semi-literate and i certainly am not i happen to read a whole book a day at the least! and can write perfectly well it is not my problem that u hav difficulty with simple txt speech, just because it may or may not b your type of game the game is still fun u hav missions to do other stuff to do things to collect plus its quite hard u hav to b quite skilled to complete all the missions as sum r very hard and u hav to hav presicion altogether very well made game and i would b considering buyin a xbox 360 just to get the game

and any lack in my education is from picky ppl who bullied me in highschool and even through all that i am very bright, it seems there may be a few bullies on the org too bt im not as young as i was in highschool and its water off a ducks bk

people.
you.
be.
are.
have.
Not so difficult is it?
'Bully' my backside.
I'm not as young as I was in high school either.
Your 'brightness' doesn't show up in your contributions but it might if you took the time to type properly...otherwise some people will judge you as lightweight,and shoddy. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant

padfoot
17-May-08, 17:04
[quote=padfoot;384997]

people.
you.
be.
are.
have.
Not so difficult is it?
'Bully' my backside.
I'm not as young as I was in high school either.
Your 'brightness' doesn't show up in your contributions but it might if you took the time to type properly...otherwise some people will judge you as lightweight,and shoddy. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant

yeah well sum ppl shouldnt b so judgemental and i wouldnt want to talk to such ppl and i am not gona change my way just for the ppl that r bein judgemental i was tempted to do it wen sumone had the decency to ask nicely bt then u had to cum on and take a pick its not difficult to write those words am just not gona do it to please you or anyone else who decides to take a pick over summit they can read and as far as u gona not read my posts go ahead like i care the ppl who r nice enough to read my posts are the ones worth talkin to who r not judging me just because i like to write this way

anyway this post is about grand theft auto so lets get bk on track and stop cumin off if u hav anythin to say to me use private messages rather than following me around criticising me on the message boards

percy toboggan
18-May-08, 17:36
[quote=percy toboggan;385063]

....so lets get bk on track and stop cumin off if u hav anythin to say to me use private messages...

You must be jokin'...M8

Kismet
18-May-08, 18:21
[quote=padfoot;385080]

You must be jokin'...M8

cos I think you prefer to make fun of people on threads to try make yourself look big, get a grip of yourself how old are you????? Actually no need to answer to that, not interested you are being a boring old git crossed with a two year old, regardless of your age :lol:[lol]:lol:

19-May-08, 18:06
Thread closed, as it's degenerated into an undignified squabble.